Studebaker month at Ca Auto Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker month at Ca Auto Museum

Today we put 6 Studebakers on display at the California Auto Museum's Car Club Cavalcade. They will be on display until Superbowl Sunday. On Monday, Pat will add STUCOOL to the mix.

Our January meeting will be on Sunday Jan 22nd and guests are welcomed to join us.

February 2nd (Thursday night) will be the Studebaker segment of the museum's Docent class.

Coincidence? - not hardly, I teach the Studebaker docent class, coordinate the Car Club Cavalcade for the museum and represent the Karel Staple Club. I made sure ours was done right.

Nothing wrong with that..........

Jon Stalnaker
    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Excellent, Jon; great show and display.

Does Karl Haas have anything to do with that museum, or does he help somewhere else? BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

Does Karl Haas have anything to do with that museum, or does he help somewhere else? BP
      Don't recognize the name Karl Haas. But I don't know everyone associated with the museum.
      Jon Stalnaker
      Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post

The museums that Karl and Jon are active in are hundreds of miles apart. They are both in California, Jon is Sacramento and Karl is San Diego (IIRC).

I have nothing against customs, but I am glad, that for a museum display, the cars appear to be stock and a good assortment of postwar models.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I am really drawn to the 64 G.T. on the far right. I see the "Village Studebaker" license frame too. I worked for the owner of that dealership back in the early 80's, Bob Kershaw. At a dinner function I remember him saying how he once owned a Studebaker dealership. I wish I had talked with him more on that at the time. An interesting man to say the least. He had businesses other than body shops (9 at the time) including auto leasing, luxury boat manufacturing, and a company that made reverse osmosis water purifiers for various navies of the world.

I see now that Bob had sold the company to Parker-Hannifin in November 2008 when he was doing business as Aqua Pro, part of his Village Marine company.
          Last edited by Warren Webb; 01-08-2012, 04:41 PM. Reason: additional info
          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
          64 Zip Van
          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
            I have nothing against customs, but I am glad, that for a museum display, the cars appear to be stock and a good assortment of postwar models.
            Good thing I posted the picture before Pat showed up with STUCOOL. The cars in the picture are for the most part stock. Pat's car is one of the best customs you will see and is a nice contrast to the other six originals. Hopefully, Pat will post a picture of the entire display once he adds his to the mix. I saw STUCOOL yesterday at his retirement party and it's looking perfect (as usual).

Too bad you're all the way in New York. If you want to come out for some fine weather, check out the display at the CAM. They still have the number 9 Avanti on display also.
            Jon Stalnaker
            Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

What a beautiful lineup. The 'Bermuda Brown' color with the white half-roof on the '64 GT really works doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                I am really drawn to the 64 G.T. on the far right. I see the "Village Studebaker" license frame too. I worked for the owner of that dealership back in the early 80's, Bob Kershaw. At a dinner function I remember him saying how he once owned a Studebaker dealership./Cut/
                Warren, I knew Bob Kershaw from when Dad bought his new late '64 Canadian built Daytona H/T Astra White/Red Interior from Bob at Village Studebaker at Figuerola & 48th. St. I believe. He was a great guy.
                I once delivered a new Mercedes 190SL Grille to his Village Auto Body Shop way back in 1961 when I was a Parts Dept. assistant at Frank H. Afton Studebaker in Inglewood, CA.

Sad story on that is, they rejected it! I had picked it up at the L.A. Stude. Parts Depot/Warehouse and brought it to them with a tiny DENT in it! They said: no Mercedes owner would accept that on their "baby" so back it went for a better one.
                You don't suppose the careless kid racing around town in the '60 Champ pickup Parts Dept. Truck had ANYTHING to do with that do you?

About the Burmuda Brown '64 GT Hawk, it looks exactly like Ray Gries's car, the Service Manager at Frost & French Studebaker in L.A. you know, the Dealership that sold your White on White '66 Daytona Sport Sedan new!
                As rare as a Hawk like that in the area was, it could be his former Car.

Several L.A. area SDC Members were trading/buying the remaining "Village Studebaker" Lic. frames with each other, because they are the perfect frame for use ANYWHERE! "Village" is the perfect generic name to use, and of course
                you want "Studebaker" on it also!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Here is the whole gang, along with the lead member of my detail crew:

Complete with our 'We Invented Cool" Banner. Jon feel free to relocate that if you have a better idea.

Pat
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thanks for the follow up Pat. The display is now complete. We left a space for the We Invented Cool poster right under the Car Club Cavalcade sign in the middle. (you can see the big blank spot) We can move it when we have our meeting on the 22nd. Thanks for bringing it and your ever so cool car.
                    Jon Stalnaker
                    Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I'll be down there Thursday and can take care of it.
                      Perry
                      \'50 Business Champion
                      \'50 Starlight Champion
                      \'60 Lark Convertible,
                      \'63 GT R1,
                      \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by Sdude View Post
                        Too bad you're all the way in New York. If you want to come out for some fine weather, check out the display at the CAM. They still have the number 9 Avanti on display also.

I have attended a Studebaker meet in the Sacramento area and enjoyed the day thoroughly. I used to attend Studebaker meets all around the country, but that has slowed down.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Rich wasn't Village located in Highland Park area at York and Figuroa?

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Clemens View Post
                            Rich wasn't Village located in Highland Park area at York and Figuroa?studedick from the lower Ozarks
                            The Location where we bought the '64 Daytona had a new Stude. Showroom Bld. put on the corner of the lot where his Body Shop was, it was at: 3029 West 48th. St. LA 43.

His business card has another address on the right side:
                            4221 Crenshaw Blvd. LA 8

As Warren said, Bob Kershaw had many businesses, so there must have been more Body Shops, I don't know if there was another Dealership.

I am from the South Bay area so I never knew LA all that well, stayed out of there whenever possible! So maybe that Zone 8 was in the Highland Park Neighborhood?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Pat

Did you know the roof leaks right where you parked your ride?

and Jon knows that .. he'll probably charge you for a bucket rental to pay for his truck project

the good news is that there in no rain in the Sacramento forecast

Fyi I again am hosting all the Stude Drivers club people at my swap meet space at Turlock Jan 28-29
                              space L8 near the turnstiles.. free chairs to take a break on , snacks, and water and a place to leave your stuff ...

I will have few stude items for sale
                              steel '51 Skirts, freshly restored '51 gravel guards ..'50 dash - etc

I plan on bringing my HarleyStude down in the trailer ... it wil be parked out front of my space .(.I use it to cruise the grounds at night looking for Stude stuff before Kurk scores it)

so look for the "blue hog " out front of our space -- if you miss the Cruisin' News L8 sign
                              Attached Files
                              John
                              Folsom CA

"Lone Dog ... No Woof"

www.cruisinnews.com

www.SacramentoSwapMeet.com

Comment

Working...
                              X