62 Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 62 Avanti

This Vet powered Avanti is on Ebay advertised as a 62,I wrote him & asked about the year.He claims it is a very early car & titled as a 62 1/2. Did Studebaker do that or is he mistaken.I thought 63 was the 1st year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Little-Red-Corvette-/220927262119?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33704a7da7

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
    This Vet powered Avanti is on Ebay advertised as a 62,I wrote him & asked about the year.He claims it is a very early car & titled as a 62 1/2. Did Studebaker do that or is he mistaken.I thought 63 was the 1st year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Little-Red-Corvette-/220927262119?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item33704a7da7
    There were no 1962 or 1962 1/2 Avantis. Avantis were introduced in calendar year 1962 as 1963 model year cars.
    I also wrote to him and got some nonsense about being like Mustangs back from him.
    His Avanti is not even an early car and was not built in 1962. It was the first Avanti built in May 1963. It is a 1963 built in 1963. It is near the end of 1963 production. I wrote all of this to him.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I will assume that the Calif Div of Motor Vehicles was given incorrect info when this Avanti was titled. It stays with this car forever.
      My 78 Avanti II is titled as a 79 by the prev. Utah owner and I had to carry it forward to my Fla. title as a 79.

His price is TOO HIGH. This car will never sell on EBAY. It also needs more photos of the interior and more specs on transmission/shocks etc.

Comment

This kind of mis-registration was pretty common in the old days when local DMV offices handled the paperwork with pen and paper. Most DMVs today are willing to correct the records if presented with a copy of an original Studebaker letter that lists starting serial numbers for a given model year. That said, there is no excuse for defending the incorrect data when the internet makes it so easy to find accurate data.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

If the owner knows it was built in May of 1963....not even close to 1962 model year, why would he insist on caling it a 62? It's not like he's going to get more for it.
          Like Skip says, check any book and it will say Avantis were produced by Studebaker for the 63 and 64 model years. And like all cars since the 30s, with the statrt of new car introductions in the fall, some were built in the preceeding year, but they're still called 63s.

Some folks...?
          Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM.
          63 Avanti R1 2788
          1914 Stutz Bearcat
          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

My #1 Avanti was originally listed as a 64 by DMV. I presented the production broadcast & the factory inspection sheets showing it was built in feb, 63. After an inspection by a CHP officer the title was changed to the correct 1963 year.
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Stude Avanti production was well documented. Early A series Avanti II builds are a bit more confusing. I owned a II that was sold and titled as a 1971. Sending for the PO, a 1968 production date was crossed out. It was painted an odd color
              with an unusual interior. Original deal must have fallen through, and then the car became a tough sell I guess.

Comment

Working...
              X