Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver side window dosen't want to stay up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Other: Driver side window dosen't want to stay up.

The driver side window on my '40 dosen't like to stay rolled up when I'm driving. As I get moving, the wondow will drop about 1/4", so I just roll it back up and a few minutes later it drops right back down. Is there a way to adjust the regulator or something to keep the window up? This probably isn't the most important thing to do to the car, but it bugs me.
    Chris Dresbach

The counterbalance spring in the regulator might be going weak. Perhaps there is enough travel on the spring to put another rotation on it for added pressure, but then that might cause it to be real hard cranking it down. Note the location of the handle & see if it moves too. (it probably will) I've never changed one of those springs but if you do attempt it, be very carefull of your body parts!
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Possibly adding to the weight of the knob want to pull it down on a window with a weak spring. To help explain, if the window rolls up on the passenger in a clockwise direction and the stroke ends with the handle facing forward in the cab of the car, the weight of the knob will be pushing down on the mechanism adding some counterweight and making it even easier to start rolling down.
      If you have the handle end its cranking stroke towards the rear of the cab, the weight will be trying to help roll the window up, not down. It is a very minimal weight issue, but simply flipping the handle 180 or so degrees may help a bit. This would not be a calcuable factor if the spring was in good shape, but could help if the spring is bad.
      I hope that made sense...it does in my head....at least the voices are telling me it makes sense lol

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
        Possibly adding to the weight of the knob want to pull it down on a window with a weak spring. To help explain, if the window rolls up on the passenger in a clockwise direction and the stroke ends with the handle facing forward in the cab of the car, the weight of the knob will be pushing down on the mechanism adding some counterweight and making it even easier to start rolling down.
        If you have the handle end its cranking stroke towards the rear of the cab, the weight will be trying to help roll the window up, not down. It is a very minimal weight issue, but simply flipping the handle 180 or so degrees may help a bit. This would not be a calcuable factor if the spring was in good shape, but could help if the spring is bad.
        I hope that made sense...it does in my head....at least the voices are telling me it makes sense lol
        The passenger side used to have the same problem and the window crank was just backwards. I flipped it around and the problem was solved. The driver side window crank is facing the direction that the weight would pull it down (foreward) so that isn't the problem. I wonder if putting 1941 cranks on the doors would make a difference? A 1941 handle has more weight to it than a 1940 handle.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

I don't know specifically about models of your vintage, but on later cars the regulator had a friction clutch that works on the handle gear, to keep it from spinning freely in either direction. When these go, you get the situation you've described.

I've also see some amateur regulator "refurb" jobs where the rebuilder put the spring on backwards. This, naturally, causes the window to want to roll down all the time! You might check to see if that's the case as well.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Interesting. I'm not sure if this matters to the topic, but it seems that when I go to roll DOWN the window on pourpose, I can turn the crank about 2 and a hlaf times and it turns very easy, almost drops to the half way point of being rolled down, then I have to give it a little muscle to finish rolling it down. It's not really tough/stuck, but there is a noticable difference there.
            The rear windows are off all by themselves... Both sides are extremely easy to roll UP, but about takes two hands to roll DOWN!
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

I would check with Ed. SI offers rebuilds on the window cranks. As far as the binding on rolling the window down, the channel felt has probably released from the channel and the glass is binding on it.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This thread stirred up a memory, in the late 50's I drove a 40 Champion 4 door. If the driver window was down enough to get my fingers on top the glass, I could easily push the window down. I called it my power window. Never bothered to try to fix it.
                Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                50 Champion 2 door*
                53 Commander K Auto*
                53 Commander K overdrive*
                55 President Speedster
                62 GT 4Speed*
                63 Avanti R1*
                64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Working...