steering bell crank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: steering bell crank

Shocks are new and so are king pins. I still get a loud thumping sound and loose steering when going over bumps in the road. Might those be symptoms of a bad bell crank?

Yes, get under the car and lift on the rear end of the Bellcrank with the two eyes on it for the Left and Right Tie Rods, if it moves up and down, the Bearings in the Support are bad.

The zerk fitting to lube those Bearings or Bushings on '63 & up, is in the Center, Rear of the front crossmember, it must be removed before dropping the support. This fitting never is found, so never gets greased by the unknowing.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Check the bolts holding on the control arms! I have seen them loose on many Studes I have inspected.
      Always use Grade 8 hardware and lock nuts and new sharp lock washers.
      Also make sure that it's the bellcrank pivot that has the slop by looking to see if the pinch-bolt is tight first. If it is loose it will mimic a worn center pivot. (the bolt has to be gawd-awful tight).
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
        Check the bolts holding on the control arms! I have seen them loose on many Studes I have inspected.
        Always use Grade 8 hardware and lock nuts and new sharp lock washers.
        Also make sure that it's the bellcrank pivot that has the slop by looking to see if the pinch-bolt is tight first. If it is loose it will mimic a worn center pivot. (the bolt has to be gawd-awful tight).
        What Bezhawk said. I've found two loose pinch bolts on the bellcrank over the years.

Russ Farris
        1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
        1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
        X