Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I put 52 champion starliner body on 51 4 door frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Can I put 52 champion starliner body on 51 4 door frame?

I am going to bring home in the next few days a 52 Champion Starliner basket case and would like to swap the body to a 51 champion 4 door I have already cleaned and painted as well as overhauled the drive train and brakes. What I am trying to do is build a 51 hardtop. I did this in 1969 with a hardtop body I found in a wrecking yard but did not swap the frame. Can anyone tell me if this will fit? Thanks

PS: I was on the old Alt.auto.studebaker news group for several years starting in 1998 trying to restore the 51 4 door champion but kind of got sidetracked. Still havn't got it back in one pieced. Thanks

doubledaddy
    sigpic
    Barn Find
    1950 Champion
    Before I started
    Jim Berry
    Midlothian, TX

Originally posted by doubledaddy View Post
    I am going to bring home in the next few days a 52 Champion Starliner basket case and would like to swap the body to a 51 champion 4 door I have already cleaned and painted as well as overhauled the drive train and brakes. What I am trying to do is build a 51 hardtop. I did this in 1969 with a hardtop body I found in a wrecking yard but did not swap the frame. Can anyone tell me if this will fit? Thanks

PS: I was on the old Alt.auto.studebaker news group for several years starting in 1998 trying to restore the 51 4 door champion but kind of got sidetracked. Still havn't got it back in one pieced. Thanks

doubledaddy
    Assuming the wheelbase is the same; the 1952 should bolt up the the 1951 frame but don't quote me on it.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Yes. You can put a 52 4 door body on a 1951 frame. They used same frame for 2 and 4 doors.

Comment

I have several frames.

I have rolling chassis for 1951 stude Champions

Comment

Thanks a bunch. That will make the job a lot easier.
          doubledaddy
          sigpic
          Barn Find
          1950 Champion
          Before I started
          Jim Berry
          Midlothian, TX

Comment

doubledaddy, would you be so kind as to take photographs of the Statliner torque boxes (hog troughs) once the the body is off it's frame? I'll need all the help I can get to rebuild/repair my Starliner's torque boxes. Thanks FBL

Comment

there was one in lynn mass that that some one on the group had it needed work but was in good shape it was cheep to o well

Comment

Working...
              X