1931 Studebaker Fire Truck Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1931 Studebaker Fire Truck Information

Md Vol. Fire DEpt looking to rehab a 1931 studebaker fire truck. Looking for pictures and parts availability. Any help would be appreciated

I may be able to access a few photos from the South Bend FDs archives. I guess they had a few Studebaker fire trucks. Parts from 1931 can be hard to come by, but I work for Studebaker International and would at least be able to see if certain parts are available. I know quite a few people on the South Bend department that may be able to help you out. Message me if you have any questions. I'm always interested in fire department related stuff.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Swab Wagon Company in Elizabethville, Pa, Studebaker dealer from early horse drawn in 1868 until 1966 and still producing Fire and Emergency apparatus.
      Ask for Tony, Fred or Stuart or better yet, if he's hanging around, Mike Margerum, great-grandson of Jonas Swab. Tony, Fred and Stuart are newest generation of family to operate the company. Mike is retired and the last generation to really spend most time playing with Studebakers. Mike is notorious in the Antique Studebaker Club.

Mike Margerum
      P.O.Box Drawer 0
      Elizabethville, PA 17023

Swab Wagon Company - For over 150 years Swab Wagon Company has been producing truck bodies for fire emergency, rescue, first response, police, and utility
      Last edited by rockne10; 01-04-2012, 10:28 PM.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Chris,
        Looking to start rehab of 1931 Studebaker S-50 Serial # 3475784 fire truck. Looking for parts availability if
        needed - this vehicle in very good condition - had it running the day we brought it back to its original hometown. Very little rust - tires in good condition Any help would be appreciated.

Fran Jester fjester@Yahoo.com
        1026 Sudlersville Rd.
        Church HIll, Md. 21623

Comment

Originally posted by fdchief501 View Post
          Chris,
          Looking to start rehab of 1931 Studebaker S-50 Serial # 3475784 fire truck. Looking for parts availability if
          needed - this vehicle in very good condition - had it running the day we brought it back to its original hometown. Very little rust - tires in good condition Any help would be appreciated.

Fran Jester fjester@Yahoo.com
          1026 Sudlersville Rd.
          Church HIll, Md. 21623
          I believe you have the wrong model designation. The serial #3475784 is consistent with a model S-60. It would have been assembled in February 1931. There were 2070 units built in the U.S. (serial range 3475001 t0 3477071), and another 76 in Walkerville, Ont. The only difference between the S-50 and S-60 was the wheelbase, 148” for the former and 160” the latter. These trucks used the same engines as the Studebaker Six (model 54) passenger cars a 3 1/4 X 4 1/8” 205 c.i. Six with 68 h.p.

Rather than the shotgun approach (i.e. I need parts) it would be better to state the specific parts you need. Joining the Antique Studebaker Club would be a wise move.
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Yes it is a Model S-60, (typed wrong in post) I was just looking for information on how hard parts may be for this vehicle before we start our
            renovation. Will be joining Antique Studebaker Club as you suggest! Do you know of any other 1931's that are still around ?

Fran Jester

Comment

Yes it is a Model S-60, (typed wrong in post) I was just looking for information on how hard parts may be for this vehicle before we start our
              renovation. Will be joining Antique Studebaker Club as you suggest! Do you know of any other 1931's that are still around ?

Fran Jester
              When it comes to parts, it's all about the numbers. I would strongly reccomend getting "the books" (shop manual, body, and chassis books). When you find that you need a part, you have the part number and it's much easier to find that way. That's my job, I'd know.
              Chris Dresbach

Comment

Fran Jester
                Since mechanical parts are interchangeable with passenger cars you may have some luck there by networking with other ASC members. Do not expect to find NOS parts. Body parts are pretty much out of the question. None around. Sorry to say there is no "one stop shopping center" for 80 year old Studebaker truck parts.

One other point, Studebaker did not build fire trucks. They did provide truck chassis (incl engine and cab) that could be used as a base for mounting bodies of various types. All of the actual fire apparatus behind the cab would have been provided by a separate company that had no direct Studebaker connection.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

I'm curious, being that old does it have a Seagrave bed on it? I know they made a lot. If not I know sometimes departments would scratch build fire truck beds.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Body and pump manufactured by US Fire Co of Wilmington Del. Believe they went of out business in 1950. Body in very good shape for age of
                    vehicle. If any parts are needed it will probably be mechanical or electrical in nature. Will try to post photos
                    Where can we obtain shop manuals, etc ?
                    Fran

Comment

You can get all the books you need for the (studebaker) parts of the truck from Studebaker International.
                      Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 01-10-2012, 09:36 PM. Reason: add link
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                        You can get all the books you need for the (studebaker) parts of the truck from Studebaker International.
                        http://www.studebaker-intl.com/
                        Chris; I doubt if the 1931 truck catalog has been reproduced.
                        Richard Quinn

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	VT11.1 024.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1671719Click image for larger version

Name:	VT11.1 009.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1671718Click image for larger version

Name:	VT11.1 011.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1671717Chris,

Checked the 1931 catalog and found not mention of manuals back to 1931. Attchaing some photos of 1931 fire truck.

FranClick image for larger version

Name:	VT11.1 012.jpg
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1671716

Comment

Thanks for the photos. What town bought it originally? Cannot read it in its entirety, looks like maybe Church Hill, MD?
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                              Thanks for the photos. What town bought it originally? Cannot read it in its entirety, looks like maybe Church Hill, MD?
                              That's correct? That was the 2nd motorized pumper for Church Hill - first one was a 1926 Model T. The Studebaker was sold in the 1950's to a local farmer who used it for
                              spraying trees on their large farm. I served as Fire Chief from 1974 to 1999 and tried to get it back during that time but was unable to. We go it back in 2006 but have not done anything with it due to budget constraints. WE are glad to have it back in it's orignal home. Still have one life member in the fire co.who drove it back in the early fifties.

Francis D. Jester

Comment

Working...
                              X