Where was the Weasel built?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where was the Weasel built?

I know the Weasel used the Champion engine, but where was the vehicle actually built/assembled? I'm reading an old publication that mentions Graham built the Weasel and used their Graham/Continental engine. I know the engine part ain't right, but it got me to wondering about where it was actually built.
    KURTRUK
    (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

The Weasel was built right in the main South Bend plant 1&2, the same as the automotive line. I've seen a picture somewhere with a Weasel coming down the line with an M series military truck following behind it on the "other" line. During the war, the "main" automotive assembly plants were used for truck and weasel production and the Chippewa plant was for aircraft engines. After the war, the main plant was just for cars and the Chippewa plant was used for trucks.
    For the record, the Weasel also used an Oliver cleatrac (crawler tractor) differential/rear end. The reason for this was mainly because Oliver was just across the street and parts were readily available.
    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 01-04-2012, 09:35 PM.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

My Oliver Oc3 used a Continental 4 cyl.flat head engine.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

You know a-lot for a yungen. thanks for your input' cheers jimmijim
        Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        The Weasel was built right in the main South Bend plant 1&2, the same as the automotive line. I've seen a picture somewhere with a Weasel coming down the line with an M series military truck following behind it on the "other" line. During the war, the "main" automotive assembly plants were used for truck and weasel production and the Chippewa plant was for aircraft engines. After the war, the main plant was just for cars and the Chippewa plant was used for trucks.
        For the record, the Weasel also used an Oliver cleatrac (crawler tractor) differential/rear end. The reason for this was mainly because Oliver was just across the street and parts were readily available.
        sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I have a copy of a 4-page article in "Automotive and Aviation Industries", Dec. 1 1944, that describes the production process and has lots of great photos. Currently the pages add to about 6 MB, maybe too big to post here. I'll see if I can compress them.

The differential apparently also used Dana/Spicer gears.

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
            I know the Weasel used the Champion engine, but where was the vehicle actually built/assembled?<<<
            At the very least the "canvas tops" for the Weasels were packed at Studebaker's Aviation Plant in South Bend during WWII.

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              My Oliver Oc3 used a Continental 4 cyl.flat head engine.
              Not from the factory, Oliver used the Hercules IXB-3 engines in the OC-3 line. The 77 ag tractor engine in the OC-6 line was of Continental design.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                Not from the factory, Oliver used the Hercules IXB-3 engines in the OC-3 line. The 77 ag tractor engine in the OC-6 line was of Continental design.
                I stand corrected and do remember it was the Hercules engine as we put new rings and bearings in it once just to keep it running for a few more miles.
                Candbstudebakers
                Castro Valley,
                California

Comment

Isn't it refreshing to have such knowledge available & this forum to share it! I'm also happy to see Guido again. His experience especially with horse drawn Studes makes me itch for getting a buggy thats been in the local Craigslist for a few months now, but I'd have to borrow the neighbors horse! Keep em coming everyone!!
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

What Graham did build was an amphibious tractor called an "Alligator." Close, you see, but no Weasel.

Comment

Here is the magazine article from 1944 about the Weasel production line [1.7 MB].

Gary Ash
                      Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                      ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                      '48 M5
                      '65 Wagonaire Commander
                      '63 Wagonaire Standard
                      web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Working...
                      X