Dumb, Dumb, Dumbbbbb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb, Dumb, Dumbbbbb

I have said many times " I am not the brightest tool in the shed".
    I offer proof.
    I am getting dressed to drive my cam down to Isky this morning to have it ground to the E4 grind many have reccomended. I realize I have not yet taken off the cam gear. I quickly pull the bolt, eccentric for the fuel pump, and lock ring. I see, of course, the threaded holes in the gear for a gear puller anchor point, BUT, my impatient "i gotta get to Isky" mentality and lack of apparent brains, I figure "its only fiber and I have a new one to install, I will just tap on it to knock it off of the cam".

So I grab my small rubber/plastic mallet, The kind that has a inch and a quarter diameter rubber button on one side and a same size plastic button on the other side. Small, light, and unobtrusive mallet, right?

Yep you geussed it, 2 light pops to the back side of the gear and it pops right off....my eyes exploded WIDE open as I see the end of the cam still inside of the gear....yep, I busted the end of the cam right off.

Dumb3 {that is 3=cubed}.
    Never in my life would I have imagined that the end of the cam would have broken clean off with 2 light pops. I truely mean light too. I was NOT wailing on it. I only hit it about as hard as you would hit a nail just to set it....literally a tap.

So I guess I need to ask, is the cam in my 232 that is sitting here useable for the 289?
    Are the cambearings the same diameter? Is the lift and duration close enough to still have it ground to the E4 grind from Isky?

I really had ought to just ride the SHORT bus everywhere and just do finger painting with my IQ.

Thank guys in advance.

ps: I am hoping the reason it broke so easily is there was a flaw and it was actually a good thing I found it now.....right? That would lessen the emotional pain and blow to my faint ego.

Hell Kell, we all make mistakes. Frankly, I'm as surprized about the breakage as you are. And MAYBE it was a good thing if you exposed a weakness NOW - instead of at 70MPH. I've held in my hands - the result of a cam gear coming off at speed. It' isn't pretty! Lemmee see if I've got another candidate layhing around here. Just pay shipping and it's yours - assuming I have one.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Yep, Kelly; what Bob said. I'd be glad it happened as described. Count the incident among your blessings. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Found one. I'll need yhour address again.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I will PM my address to you Bob. You, once again, are the MAN. I will send you what ever the shipping is, and a thank you tip of some sort...

Man I LOVE this place. I would accept any taunting and laughing you all want to dish out. I deserve it this time...well I usually do anyway.
          Thanks for the support folks.
          Kelly "knucklehead" Mac

Comment

FWIW, I've seen many people destroy the fiber gear trying to get it off the cam. I've never seen anyone break the nose off a cam tapping it with a hammer. Maybe the mistake was to hit the gear from behind. This puts all the force on one side of the gear and at an angle to the cam

Lacking a puller, it might have been better science to open the jaws of your large bench vise just enough to suspend the cam vertically with the jaws supporting the gear. Using a brass drift, tap straight down on the nose of the cam. This way, when the cam falls out of the gear, it will land directly on your left big toe.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Jack,
              That is one of the DUMBest parts...I have a puller. Just got in a hurry and could not imagine it was that pressed on to need it. I thought I would give it a few taps to see if it would slide off before I dug out my puller.
              Best part, I turn around really upset, only to see my puller laying 5' from where I busted the cam.
              I would be ok with using my left toe as a bumper to cushion the blow of the cam hitting the floor, but I am not even THAT bright.

At least I have some actual experience to share with any noobs who need help...I can speak "from experience" now on cam breakage and the need to use the puller....now if only I can remember this tomorrow....
              The bi-polar medication really jacks up my memory....and apparently my better judgement.

Comment

Don't throw that old cam away. The end can be cut off and used for one of the roller cams.

Comment

Alan, It is your if you want it...the end broke off flush with the gear.

Comment

You'll have the "new" one tomorrow. I dropped it at UPS awhile ago.

Comment

Don't worry you are not the first one that has done it. Most here won't want to admit it.

Comment

I am used to admitting to stupid things....I do enough of them.
                        Thank goodness Rosco is around to save my day....again.
                        I am very glad to hear I am not the first one to do this.
                        I really expect someone here to harass me...this site can not be so PC that you wont even tease a well deserving guy like me. lol

Comment

Alan,
                          Do you know anyone who has broken a cam that way?
                          David L

Comment

This thread is a shining example of why I love this Forum, and Studebaker folks. Problem explained, problem solved!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Not all cam technicians are bi-polar; just the half-speed ones. Most are merely eccentric.
                              You say it broke right behind the frontal lobe? Don't dwell on it.

Sorry, I'm just a cam follower. Didn't mean to be desmo...
                              dramatic.

Comment

Working...
                              X