63 Avanti Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti Hood

The 63 Avanti hood has a "raised" portion immediately in front of the driver that tapers downward toward the front of the car. Is this raised portion for design or is it for underhood clearance? This is an R2, 4 speed, if that make any diference. Engine compatment is currently empty. Ken, Deltaville Va

Asymmetrical styling.... All the rage at the time..
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Raymond Loewy insisted on the asymmetric hood bulge as he felt it naturally oriented the driver's eye correctly on the road. His earlier, private efforts with car designs during the late '50s showed a similar design cue.

It had the added virtue of providing clearance for the brake booster and master cylinder since they sit somewhat high.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

To add to what Gunslinger said, note that the bulge blends into the instrument panel in front of the driver.
        I may be a bit slow, but I never noted that until I owned one. Neat feature, to the driver's eyes, it merges the inside and outside of the car.

(That inside/outside effect is a bit like Loewy's famous inside/outside swimming pool at his Palm Springs home).
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Fortunately, the booster had not yet been sent to Myers so it and the hood were reinstalled, it looks like there is about an inch of clearenace between the booster and underside of hood which will have a full 1" insulator bonded to it. Still do not know is bonnet will fit. Ken, Deltaville Va

Comment

Working...
          X