Dual Point Distributors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Dual Point Distributors

Were dual point distributors standard for all "R" engines ? Were they ever provided for other engines ? Thanks, Dan

Yes...dual point distributors were standard on R1's and R2's...R3's and R4's came standard with transistorized ignition, which was also optional on R1 and R2 engines, though very few were installed from the factory.

As far as being available on any non-"R" engines, someone else will have to answer that...I have no idea of previous years.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My 1955--Speedster has a Dual-Point Distributer and I've wondered if it was standard. Now I'm curious and hope someone who knows chimes in
      Murray

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
      Yes...dual point distributors were standard on R1's and R2's...R3's and R4's came standard with transistorized ignition, which was also optional on R1 and R2 engines, though very few were installed from the factory.

As far as being available on any non-"R" engines, someone else will have to answer that...I have no idea of previous years.
      Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Their were aftermarket kits available to convert a single point to a dual point distributor. I assume the intention was for high RPM use. I once owned a Studebaker that had been converted to dual points by the previous owner.
        sigpic

1962 Daytona
        1964 Cruiser
        And a few others

Comment

Perhaps the prior owner though the single point arrangement was keeping the 259 from reaching its potential 8,000 RPM implied by the factory tach! Dan

Comment

Before my engine replacement (232 to 259) I could only muster a 120 H.P. Course this was with a single point dist.

After the 259 and a alum intake, with 4bbl., I could only wind about 7000 tops. Now with my dual point "Rev Pol" Mallory, I can easily wind it to 8500 , and now it's putting out around 500 H.P. Makes a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by stall View Post
              My 1955--Speedster has a Dual-Point Distributer and I've wondered if it was standard. Now I'm curious and hope someone who knows chimes in
              Murray
              My '57 Silver Hawk had a "factory" dual point distributor installed....

...because I bought one of the hundreds of factory take-outs dual point distributors Studebaker's own Salvage Dept. was selling back in 1963. So for those who like to split hairs, YES at least one '57 Silver Hawk had a "factory dual point distributor installed in South Bend" ...but it was installed by me, not Studebakers!

Comment

The V-8 cars were late to the party for dual points! The 1929-40 Presidents, Commanders, and some Dictators used dual-point ignition. The 1929-30 Presidents even had twin coils.
                Gary Ash
                Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                '48 M5
                '65 Wagonaire Commander
                '63 Wagonaire Standard
                web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

quote from flashback... "After the 259 and a alum intake, with 4bbl., I could only wind about 7000 tops. Now with my dual point "Rev Pol" Mallory, I can easily wind it to 8500 , and now it's putting out around 500 H.P. Makes a big difference."

I guess I need to pull the 6KRPM rev limiter out of my MSD box!...

Comment

Tex... 8500 RPM and 500 horsepower with a 259??

After the 259 and a alum intake, with 4bbl., I could only wind about 7000 tops. Now with my dual point "Rev Pol" Mallory, I can easily wind it to 8500 , and now it's putting out around 500 H.P. Makes a big difference.

Comment

So I stretched it about 275 HP, and about 4500 rpm. Is that really sooo bad? LOL. LOL. LOL.

How does 225 HP and 4500 rpm sound? Us old guy should be settin' an example. I been watchin' Jeff's progress and got carried away with my fish story. I'll do better.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking it was a little early for April Fools Day ! But fun !

Comment

Working...
                        X