steering box oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steering box oil

On my prewar Studebaker the wheel is getting hard to spin and I checked the box and it is almost empty. Is there a special oil for the box? Is there a gear lube I can get local for box? I saw in SI that they have a oil for the box special, Do I have to use that exclusivly?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

If you can't find what the manual says to use, then the SI lube is fine, as long as you don't have a leaking seal. Until SI came out with their product, I used to pump CV joint grease into mine..... Works fine..

Bob Johnstone
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I got a tube of Red Line CV-2 grease, replaced the plug on the steering box with a grease zerk, and filled 'er up. Forced out what little 'lube' was left; steering has worked fine for two years now, no more leaks.

51 Commander State Sedan

Kittanning, PA

51 Commander State Sedan
      Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
      Butler PA

Comment

I put "Liquid Grease" into any "leaky" steering box I might have. But you have to warm the stuff before pouring, and it still takes quite a while. But, it works.
        / H

Comment

Thanks, my box is bone dry on the way back from Sully historic car show I noticed that on turns the wheel was not returning to the center. I must confess I have never added oil to the box...ever[:0]

Studebakers forever!
          Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
          X