PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Price of Champ, Please

Scott McElheney
06-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Hello, all.

I'm planning to make an offer for a Champ pickup sometime in the next week. Problem is, I have no idea what this thing is worth -- even ballpark. The price guides seem to be all over the map. I know "hey-what's-this-thing-worth" requests drive posters nuts, but all I need is a base-line on which to go from.

I haven't see the truck up close since 1992. Right now it's sitting beside the owner's house. Here are the particulars --

It's a '61-'64; it's got the Dodge-derived full-width box.
It hasn't been on the road for at least 5 years, possibly 10.
It's definately in #4 condition.
There is minimal rust visible, but as we all know, looks can be deceving. Don't know about the condition of the box.
Otherwise, the body looks to be fairly solid. No idea if there's any body filler.
The glass is all there. Don't know if there has been any delamination.
No idea about the interior.
No idea about engine. I do know that when it was running about town in the late 80's/early 90's, the exhaust had a nice V8-ish burble, but whether it was the original Stude motor or a version of the ubiquitous Chevy 350, I don't know.
No idea about the tranny. Again, from what I remember when it was tooling around, I think it was an auto, but no clue if it was original.
Wheels are non-original, chrome wagon-wheels with wide rubber.

Thanks,

Scott McElheney

1967 AMC Ambassador DPL
1970 IH 1200D Travelette (That's a 3/4-ton crew cab pickup for those who don't speak Cornbinder.)
1966 IH Scout 800
1929 Ford Model A Tudor
But no Studes - yet.

Pckstude
06-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey Scott, Glad to see u came to the source for asking info. There are many gentlemen here that know much more about studes than I do. However, the first thing anyone is going to say is, "find out more about it." It's difficult to give even a "ball park" figure on what little info u do know. If it's possible, go check it out, take notes, ask questions, then come back with more solid information. Then someone will have a better idea and will be able to give u a more accurate estimate. Besides, u wouldn't want to buy something that u don't know that much about would u? I know from personal experience how one can get over excited about buying a car. Take your time, and check it out for it will help prevent buyers remorse when u get it home and find out that there was much more wrong with it than u expected. Just trying to help.

Pckstude
06-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey Scott, Glad to see u came to the source for asking info. There are many gentlemen here that know much more about studes than I do. However, the first thing anyone is going to say is, "find out more about it." It's difficult to give even a "ball park" figure on what little info u do know. If it's possible, go check it out, take notes, ask questions, then come back with more solid information. Then someone will have a better idea and will be able to give u a more accurate estimate. Besides, u wouldn't want to buy something that u don't know that much about would u? I know from personal experience how one can get over excited about buying a car. Take your time, and check it out for it will help prevent buyers remorse when u get it home and find out that there was much more wrong with it than u expected. Just trying to help.