Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Grant kit 4291

Hey all,

Attempting to install new Grant steering wheel in my 61 Hawk. Purchased the Grant kit 4291 for Larks and Hawks and the new hub doesnt slide far enough to get the nut on he post. I've checked the Grant FAQ page and it this situation made the page but was vague. Grant suggests to hand press as far as possible, but what to do if hand pressing isnt enough isn't mentioned.

Has anyone had this situation come up? How tight is too tight and should I just get a hammer?

Appreciate any feedback, Gene

You should be able to look through the adapter at the steering shaft and tell if the splines appear to match. Also if I remember correctly, there is an area that has no spline on both the adapter and the shaft. If the pattern and spline don't match, you have the wrong adapter. If the pattern matches you may have a burr on the splines that is preventing the adapter from sliding on. It is hard to say without actually seeing the parts.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Don't try to hammer it,that'll just void the warrantee in case you need to return it.. I don't have experience with these after market wheels on Studes,but I know the factory wheel [and usually AM adaptors]will slip just about all the way on most of the time . I think you might have the wrong adapter.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Thank you

First call tomorrow is to Grant, make sure I have the right kit. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Gene

Comment

Let us know the result!
          1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I have one of these, had a similar issue. The steering box shaft splines are often slightly deformed, or may have some old thickened grease. First totally clean all the splines on the shaft, use brake cleaner, etc. Then get a magnifier, or jewelers loupes, and inspect each spline for a bur or bit of metal that may be impeding the progress of the adapter. The Grant adapter is pot metal of some sort, or aluminum alloy, and is softer than the steel splined steering box shaft. Use a tiny jewelers file or crocus cloth on a thin piece of metal to carefully clean and smooth between each spline of the shaft. then inspect and do the same for the adapter. Use a lubricant to then fit the parts together. I did all this, after experiencing what you have described, and used a machinists beeswax to lube. I made a wooden block with a hole saw, to use as a driver, and tapped the block gently over the adapterto run it down far enough.

Comment

Working...
            X