windshield trim removal question for 58 Pres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: windshield trim removal question for 58 Pres

Does anyone know if there is a special tool to remove the windshield trim on 1958 President? Is this something I might try myself. I'm going to change the windshield and can only find a shop that is a little too far my from house. Thanks! Happy New Year!
    Jim Rostron

Remove the windshield trim after you remove the windshield from the car. Depending on the condition of the sealer (if there is any) between the windshield opening and the gasket, push the windshield out from the inside of the car. If the inside lip of the seal is too hard, you may have to cut it to help get the glass out.
    The windshield trim fits in a slot cut in the seal. Remove it carefully after the glass is out. When you put the new seal on the glass, put it around the windshield first then install the stainless. This will help hold the gasket on the windshield when you install it.
    Do not try to remove/install the windshield trim while the windshield is on the car, you won't be happy.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
      Remove the windshield trim after you remove the windshield from the car. Depending on the condition of the sealer (if there is any) between the windshield opening and the gasket, push the windshield out from the inside of the car. If the inside lip of the seal is too hard, you may have to cut it to help get the glass out.
      The windshield trim fits in a slot cut in the seal. Remove it carefully after the glass is out. When you put the new seal on the glass, put it around the windshield first then install the stainless. This will help hold the gasket on the windshield when you install it.
      Do not try to remove/install the windshield trim while the windshield is on the car, you won't be happy.
      Wow! Thanks and so quick! I helped a friend do one many years ago. Is this the kind that you put a thin rope inside the rubber gasket with grease on it to reinstall?
      Jim Rostron

Comment

Please review the other posts here re: windshields. Many glass men either want to plop the new one in without sealer assuming that the rubber doesn't need it or try and use 2010 installation adhesives. You won't be happy with either option. Know how it is to be done and don't listen to a glass installer that does not understand 1955 materials and methodology if you contract it out! I just did my Champ and others here have shared their experiences. It is not really a difficult DIY job but is best done with two people following the instructions explicitly.

I wouldn't even think of re-using the rubber gasket. If it was recently installed with the right sealant it will be a gooy mess to clean up. If it was recently installed with the wrong sealers they would be impossible to remove. If it was not recently installed, the rubber will not be pliable enough to re-use.

SI sells rubber seals for $80 and that is a bargain considering the alternatives. NAPA has 3-M 8509 bedding compound at $15 a tube. Get 20 feet of quarter inch rope from Home depot and masking tape to simplify clean up of the cowl and adjacent areas, grab a friend to help, read all the knowledge from experience available here and it won't be a difficult task.

Comment

Originally posted by mmagic View Post
          Please review the other posts here re: windshields. Many glass men either want to plop the new one in without sealer assuming that the rubber doesn't need it or try and use 2010 installation adhesives. You won't be happy with either option. Know how it is to be done and don't listen to a glass installer that does not understand 1955 materials and methodology if you contract it out! I just did my Champ and others here have shared their experiences. It is not really a difficult DIY job but is best done with two people following the instructions explicitly.

I wouldn't even think of re-using the rubber gasket. If it was recently installed with the right sealant it will be a gooy mess to clean up. If it was recently installed with the wrong sealers they would be impossible to remove. If it was not recently installed, the rubber will not be pliable enough to re-use.

SI sells rubber seals for $80 and that is a bargain considering the alternatives. NAPA has 3-M 8509 bedding compound at $15 a tube. Get 20 feet of quarter inch rope from Home depot and masking tape to simplify clean up of the cowl and adjacent areas, grab a friend to help, read all the knowledge from experience available here and it won't be a difficult task.
          Thanks again, I already have the new gasket, still need to purchase the windshield. After your coment I am definately going to do it myself.
          Jim Rostron

Comment

Working...
          X