PDA

View Full Version : Please read SDC Pres. Tom Curtis' Jan. Turning Wheels column

BobPalma
12-31-2011, 12:59 PM
January 2012 Turning Wheels' are making their way to mailboxes across the fruited plain even as I type. Most readers will hopefully be enchanted by the front and rear covers, and our efforts reporting the 2011 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race.

When you're done with that and Clell Ballard's excellent commentary on Pages 22 and 23, please take a moment to read and digest SDC President Tom Curtis' remarks on Page 4. Tom is a marketing firecracker, and is directly responsible for the "We Invented Cool" SDC Campaign you've seen in some collector-car publications.

Tom's January Turning Wheels remarks are spot-on the money (IMHO), and deserve your attention.

Then, when you've finished reading his remarks, find your Board of Directors representative on Page 66 and shoot him/her a short e-mail to support President Curtis' modest proposal. I've already sent an e-mail to our Crossroads Zone Director Bob Henning, and got a nice phone call from Bob a couple hours later, thanking me for the support he and Tom appreciate.

If you don't want to compose your own e-mail to your Board of Directors representative, just copy and paste mine, following, making the appropriate changes:

To: rhenn15090@aol.com
CC: tomnancurtis@aol.com
Subject: Call for Marketing Program
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:38:05 +0000

Hi, Bob;

'Just a note, here, to lend my support to SDC President Tom Curtis' remarks in the January 2012 Turning Wheels, concerning SDC's need for a consistent, definitive, ongoing Marketing Plan.

'No sense telling you what Tom wrote on Page 4 of this current issue; I'm sure you've read it.

Tom is a sharp guy who obviously knows a lot about marketing. If you've been to his place, you know selling paint must be lucrative if it is approached as Tom has done it....but you have to market your goods and services accordingly to "'git 'er done," as Larry The Cable Guy would say.

I encourage your supporting Tom's efforts as he outlined in the January 2012 Turning Wheels. I hope you receive similar missives from others in SDC after they've read Tom's writing; he has good ideas!

Thank you.

Bob Palma
Technical Editor
Turning Wheels

jbwhttail
12-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Email sent........

COMMANDERPINK1
12-31-2011, 03:55 PM
I always read the The Presidents Message first and agree with the topic that Tom has presented. I myself feel that the club is much more than just owning a Studebaker.
Tom

showbizkid
12-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Just rec'd my TW today, so I look forward to reading Tom's letter. Thanks for the head's up, Bob!

Flashback
12-31-2011, 10:20 PM
I read it about a week ago, and there's a lot of truth in it.

FlatheadGeo
01-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I agree, Bob. Our new Pres is right on the money!

Bob Henning
01-01-2012, 11:34 AM
As the Zone Director for the Crossroads Zone I also support Tom Curtis in this. As was stated earlier, Turning Wheels, and this web page are the probably the most important tools that we have in marketing this Club and the Studebaker name to the public to both recruit and retain members.

It was pointed out by a member in my Zone the other day that another important thing is a handshake or a few minutes talking about your Studebaker in a local car show or cruise-in. Taking a moment to welcome a new face at a Chapter Meeting, something as simple as saying "Hi" goes a long way too. I know it works, my wife and I have made life-long friends as a result of our Champ and Lark. People that we probably wouldn't have crossed paths with without being members of this Club.

It remains my opinion that this Club, Turning Wheels magazine, and this web page especially, is not only a huge resource of technical material, but it is a promotion and marketing tool. Promotion and marketing of this Club, the Studebaker National Museum, and history of Studebaker should be our primary goal. We also should remember to drive our cars/trucks and have fun too! That's the best part!

In reading what Tom wrote, I am sure that he put a lot of thought into it. If you haven't gotten your TW yet, please take a moment and read his letter. If you feel the same, or if you have a suggestion, I too would encourage you to write your Zone Director, and cc it to Tom Curtis. I am sure he will value your feedback. It is time to take this Club to the next level, see membership levels go up, and have fun doing it! My email address is rhenn15090@aol.com, and your comments are more than welcome.

Bob Henning

Deaf Mute
01-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Go for it! We need to advertise as much as possible... getting to the "right crowd" isn't easy.
Our local chapter will have two stock Studes in the Quad City Rod & Custom show later this month (along with recruiting information). more info at www.big6sdsc.com (http://www.big6sdsc.com)

58PackardWagon
01-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Bob thanks for starting this thread. Actually the article caught me by surprise. It is long overdue that someone in an authority position within the National put something in writing. I hope this will finally action some ideas rather than just be another "discussed" item.

Something needs to be done and quickly. We have an army of 10,000 plus.....lets action a few items, lets do it all around the country and lets do it now.

jeds55
01-02-2012, 10:01 AM
"Make new friends.....
But, keep the old......
One is silver.....
The other is gold."

starliner62
01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
I'll read it as soon as I get my issue!!!

JRoberts
01-03-2012, 05:37 PM
I'll read it as soon as I get my issue!!!

Yep, me too! :( (once again)

glen
01-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Geez la weezie.....I got mine out here in the "zone" last Saturday, or least it was waiting most patiently at the PO Box, when I got back into the states. There is something wrong with that....and I don't have sent 1st class, either. :cool:

Jeff_H
01-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Got mine last friday I think. New Year's morning I sat down to make a 1st pass through it and put a recently (as in last week) aquired LP on the turntable to provide some background tunes.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/ee-engineer/Jan2012TWwithHATB-2.jpg

Great cover photo, I much prefer it over past January issues; more dramatic :)

Any the album was good too! Pretty much as mint as can be found at a thrift store for 50c ;)

FlatheadGeo
01-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I would like to suggest the following to help garner interest in SDC:

At one of the NJ Cruise Nights that I frequent with my 57 Champion I simply made up a poster board, the ones that we used for school projects. On it I included brochures, pictures of my Studebaker during restoration, info on the club with a couple of membership applications tacked on. The amount of interest in the board was unbelievable. Especially so for the younger people at the cruise. I also used the same format at car shows, but changed some of the info: included were pics of Ted Harbit's racing and the Speedster and Avanti models. Again, I would include a couple of SDC applications on the board. It was simple, easy and generated some interest.
Just some thoughts to get the ideas flowing!

showbizkid
01-04-2012, 11:28 AM
As a marketing manager, I think that Tom is right on. I hope that the Board supports him in the outreach he wants to make.

4961Studebaker
01-04-2012, 11:31 AM
Just a quick jotting of notes in this thread. (really busy) I think some targeted website ads with pass through revenue generating could really be beneficial. If we want future youth, hemings only print ads won't do it. Car forums, event forum banner site advertising is one example....Facebook presence with links scattered throughout the web. Approved YouTube videos depicting some club events to show potential members what we do. And yes people putting a "face" on what the club is about will ultimately win potential members over.

Reminds me of a saying. It's not the amount of no's it's the one YES. (sales)

BobPalma
01-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Just a quick jotting of notes in this thread. (really busy) I think some targeted website ads with pass through revenue generating could really be beneficial. If we want future youth, hemings only print ads won't do it. Car forums, event forum banner site advertising is one example....Facebook presence with links scattered throughout the web. Approved YouTube videos depicting some club events to show potential members what we do. And yes people putting a "face" on what the club is about will ultimately win potential members over.

'Sounds like Tom will be giving you a call, ChopStu! Great ideas. BP

FlatheadGeo
01-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Ditto!!!!!!!

dnevin
01-04-2012, 03:27 PM

These were my thoughts exactly. . .thanks for saving me some typing.

Yes, I'll be sending an e-mail as requested supporting the President's message. It is a great idea--I think we're at a critical junction that if we don't take action the club will slowly dwindle to nothing over the passing years.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention Bob. There are times when I skip past the president's message to "get to the good stuff." Most of the time I make it back to it, but there are times it is missed.

Corvanti
01-04-2012, 04:04 PM
haven't got my jan TW either, but...

i totally agree with chop-stu, especially a "Facebook" presence for SDC!!! (it's not just for the kids anymore). :D

if just the members of this forum that already use facebook "liked" the SDC page, think of all of their "friends" that would see it and check it out. multiply that by other forum members that may sign up for a "fb" account with SDC and stude info that could be found there. then times that if non-forum SDC members, that do use a computer, went there and "friended" the SDC site...

more studebaker interest, more potential SDC members, and more younger folks to carry the torch!

i bet matthew, dylan, alex or some of you "older" tech guys could have it up and running in no time...