Sunshine's going to rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunshine's going to rehab

Well, after years of neglect, Sunshine (our 60 Lark ragtop) is gonna get new life. My favorite Stude mechanic, Ken Pyle, is gonna take sunshine into his Arizona garage, and call me when all the surgery's done. New engine, new (NOS no less) HD Flight-o-matic and fresh tourqe converter, Turner brake refit and lower ratio 44 TT rear. New bushings front and rear as well. Once all that's done, I'll find a shop to fit a new top. Might eevn spring for some wide whites to doll her up.
    We're gonna put in this Ex-R3 block that I had Ken go thru some years ago - one of those punched out to 321cu.in.. This particular engine started life in an R2 Avanti that the Granatellis reworked and subsequently re-serialized as B112. Before it fell into my hands, it was in an 8E40 that Lionel Stone had built by Jon Myer. The non-R2 heads have been ported and polished and the intake manifold to match. Also came with factory headers - although I'm not sure we're going to try to incorporate those unless it looks real easy.
    Anyways, Sunshine's gonna get a ride to El Mirage, AZ next Tuesday thannks to my gearhead buddy fromn next door and his GMC dually and trailer. Then Ken will set about with the rehab. Eventually, I'll drive Sunshine back home when the work's done. My wife's elated that this is going to happen as she's loved that car since I first got it back on the road in the late 80s. That we haven't been able to go on evening cruises in it for years has been a loss for both of us.

I'd like to state once again, that Ken's now settled there in El Mirage (just west of Phoenix) and would like to take on Stude mechanical work. He builds a damned nice Stude engine and other stuff as well.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

He is not far from me and guess I will run in to him at a function soon. Can I have visitation priveliges with SUNSHINE Bob?
    Frank van Doorn
    Omaha, Ne.
    1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
    1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
    1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Woo-hoo! What induction system is the engine going to wind up having, Bob? Single 4-bbl? Supercharged? BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Good news indeed!
        I wish you & your bride many miles of new memories with Sunshine!

Hmmm, newly rehabed ragtop, a southwest location, willing spouse. . . Maybe a Rt. 66 tour?

Whatever the trips are, please take a camera!

Comment

Frank, I KNOW Ken would love a visit from you. He doesn't know it, but I'm gonna give him a PC so hd can rejoin the frolic here. Bob, there's a specially reworked AFB that came with the engine. It'll get sent to T-bow for rehab. At least, that's my plan for now. Just normally aspirated tho.
          Chas. - yeah, there's a particular part of 66 that I so dearly wanna visit. Last time I droe it was when the Potomac chapter drove to CA and back some years ago. I een have video of that day that I should put up for viewing
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Good for you Bob, I am so glad to hear that Sunshine will get her needed improvements now, and also that one of the Best is doing the work, AND with a NOS, EX Engine!

We have known about Ken for a long time, he became a bit famous here after he saved that Forum Poster's beautiful Black, '55 Commander 4 Door that lost a rod or something and had to be rebuilt, that Car ran really nice when done, we saw the Video here of the walkaround with it running when the owner was selling it.

I wonder if Ken ever got his car moved to AZ from Roy Valdez's place.

StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

BOB, GREAT NEWS !!!
              I fell in love with Sunshine when I was up at your place and I can not wait to see her in all her glory again....and with that 321, more than her "original" glory.

Will you be riding with her when she gets trailered to Az.?
              If you will be going along for the ride, I would like to keep in touch. Maybe I can meet you along the way and grab some lunch or dinner since you will likely be cruising out the 10 frwy. I am only 30 minutesish south of the I-10 and I-15 intersection. If you are going that way maybe we can planto meet in the Ontario area and share a meal.

At least when you are driving Sunshine home I really hope we can hook up, maybe even stop by the house here and see Oscar and meet my family, have some BBQ, a Screw Driver {the good kind}?
              My daughter Kelsey is in LOVE with your car and would probably scream if you gave her a ride in Sunshine. So would my wife for that matter. Oscar may even be on the road by then, be pretty cool to see the 2 of them side by side, or better yet, cruising down the road ! Two of your motors running together.

Keep me in the loop on you plans, maybe we can figure out some kind of hook up. A BBQ with Warren and his wife, me and my wife and daughter, Dean and his wife....local So Cal with special guest Bob K.

Comment

Bob, I'm really proud that you are doing this! I've wanted to ask about Sunshine for a while, as I know you and your really enjoyed that car. I remember way back when, when it was in the paint shop, and some bad things happened. After that, the project seemed to die, and I didn't want to open any wounds.

Good luck with it, and keep us posted!!
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

Kelly, I've told this tale here before, but I'll tell it again for your sake. When Sunshine was resplendent with new paint, top and interior, I drove her by a repair shop where I had some de-rusting done on occassion. The guy's wife was there as I pulled up and she went NUTS over the Stude! I don't remember his exact words, but after his wife drove off he lamented: "Whattaya know about that? Buy her a nice Vette to get around in and she's all wet over a junky, g*d da*ned Studebaker!"

BTW, Thanks Dave! Yes, all the trouble I had with this car (and none of it the car's fault) and I just got disenchanted with it a few years ago. I had numerous chances to sell it, but the wifey wouldn't hear of it. So....
                  The car will have been with us 27 years come this June!
                  Last edited by Roscomacaw; 12-30-2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

So Bob, there is no answer there as to whether we can hook up and hang out on at least one direction of Sunshines journey?
                    I talked to my daughter this afternoon and she said she would love to meet you and see Sunshine in person.

Comment

I have talked to Ken on the phone a couple of time since they moved here. He was working on his wagon. We will get together now the holidays are history.

Denny L

Comment

Kelly, I wasn't "shinin' you on". I just figured it was a given. Yeah - we could rendesvous for sure.

Comment

Just talked to Ken. I would guess you will be staying overnight so 41Frank & I would like to get together with you later in the day. I volunteer at the hospital till 4pm.

Denny L

Comment

Very cool! That is a great car. Your wife will be very happy

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I didn't know "Pete" had a little sister??
                              Good roads
                              Brian
                              Brian Woods
                              woodysrods@shaw.ca
                              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Working...
                              X