PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Web Site Transition

wheelsm
12-30-2011, 12:52 PM
Hello everyone!

Starting Saturday, December 31st, 2011, I officially start as the SDC webmaster. Bob Shaw, the soon-to-be "previous SDC webmaster" has done a fantastic job these past years. He is to be commended for his hard work and dedication to this wonderful club! Thank you, Bob!!! As some of you know, Bob won't disappear completely. He has accepted a position with the SDC Marketing Committee.

As I take the helm from such capable hands, I am excited about the plans we have for the web site. At first, the only change that will happen is the move of the web site from its existing hosting service to Cornerstone's web servers. This move will start tomorrow morning and may continue for up to 72 hours. Beginning at around 8:00 am CST, DNS servers around the globe will begin an update to point to Cornerstone's web server. It can take up to 72 hours for all DNS servers to get the update. You should not notice any change to the SDC web site. (NOTE: The SDC Forum is NOT moving to Cornerstone's servers. It will remain hosted at its existing service.)
Secondly, we are planning a major facelift to the SDC web site. Not only are we giving it a more up-to-date look, it will be easier to navigate and contain more dynamic pages fed via database rather than static pages. This will allow for future automation plans. There is no target date set for the new web site. I expect it to happen sometime later in 2012.

Lastly, a couple of e-mail changes. Starting tomorrow, any e-mail sent to webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com will automatically be forwarded to me, rather than Bob Shaw. E-mail sent to ForumAdmin@studebakerdriversclub.com will automatically be forwarded to Clark Novak, the new SDC Forum Administrator. Welcome Clark!

Hopefully this transition will be transparent to everyone, but as with any computer system, anything can go wrong. If you do experience some problems along the way, please forgive us, then send an e-mail to either Clark or myself.

Thank you and happy new year to all.

- Mark Wheeler
(New) SDC Webmaster and continuing SDC Membership Secretary

2R5
12-30-2011, 01:06 PM
Good luck with this all ...I envy you guys who can do this stuff <g>

41 Frank
12-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Good luck in your new endeavor Mark! And thank you Bob Shaw for your work!

52-fan
12-30-2011, 01:54 PM
Good luck in your new endeavor Mark! And thank you Bob Shaw for your work!

Ditto. Thanks for everything.

Skip Lackie
12-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Thanks Bob and good luck Mark and Clark.

Mark57
12-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Spot On! Thanks.

BobPalma
12-30-2011, 02:28 PM
Welcome aboard, Mark & Clark. (Hey, that rhymes!)

The technical expertise is indeed intimidating.

'Good that you guys have a firm grip on it. BP

StudeRich
12-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Thank you Mark and Clark for taking on a big and important job, I am sure we are in good hands.

We especially need to thank Bob Shaw for putting up with all of our petty gripes over the years and getting us to the wonderful place we are today with our Website, THANK YOU VERY MUCH BOB!

Green53
12-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Great job Bob. Mark will do a great job as well.

Denny L

kmac530
12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the new rhyming Mark and Clark.
Watch out for the Kmac, he is a real "pot" stirrer...lol
Thanks for all of your work Mr. Shaw and I hope your new endeavors go well.

Welcome
12-30-2011, 09:34 PM
Hello everyone!

Starting Saturday, December 31st, 2011, I officially start as the SDC webmaster. Bob Shaw, the soon-to-be "previous SDC webmaster" has done a fantastic job these past years. He is to be commended for his hard work and dedication to this wonderful club! Thank you, Bob!!! As some of you know, Bob won't disappear completely. He has accepted a position with the SDC Marketing Committee.

As I take the helm from such capable hands, I am excited about the plans we have for the web site. At first, the only change that will happen is the move of the web site from its existing hosting service to Cornerstone's web servers. This move will start tomorrow morning and may continue for up to 72 hours. Beginning at around 8:00 am CST, DNS servers around the globe will begin an update to point to Cornerstone's web server. It can take up to 72 hours for all DNS servers to get the update. You should not notice any change to the SDC web site. (NOTE: The SDC Forum is NOT moving to Cornerstone's servers. It will remain hosted at its existing service.)
Secondly, we are planning a major facelift to the SDC web site. Not only are we giving it a more up-to-date look, it will be easier to navigate and contain more dynamic pages fed via database rather than static pages. This will allow for future automation plans. There is no target date set for the new web site. I expect it to happen sometime later in 2012.

Lastly, a couple of e-mail changes. Starting tomorrow, any e-mail sent to webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com will automatically be forwarded to me, rather than Bob Shaw. E-mail sent to ForumAdmin@studebakerdriversclub.com will automatically be forwarded to Clark Novak, the new SDC Forum Administrator. Welcome Clark!

Hopefully this transition will be transparent to everyone, but as with any computer system, anything can go wrong. If you do experience some problems along the way, please forgive us, then send an e-mail to either Clark or myself.

Thank you and happy new year to all.

- Mark Wheeler
(New) SDC Webmaster and continuing SDC Membership Secretary

Oh no!!! The very first thread our NEW SDC Webmaster posts is posted in the wrong Forum!!!

Administrator; please http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/thread_moved-30big.png this thread down to the "SDC and Forum Discussions" Forum where it rightfully should have been posted.:eek::rolleyes::o;):o:)

Corvanti
12-30-2011, 09:53 PM
oh please, "mr. welcome", it should be posted on all forum sites just to let everyone know. first thing i learned in "cop school" was it's the "spirit" of the law, not the "letter" of the law! :)

as a fairly new poster, and long time lurker, i want to thank Mr. Shaw for putting up with the problems when the forum changed in may '10. (or was it '09?)...

also want to thank clark for warning us, especially on stovehuggers, when we (me included), went a little too political, or off topic, before needing to lock the thread...

hope things go well for you, mr.wheeler!

and "that is all i have to say about that"... :D

JWW
12-31-2011, 04:54 AM
We especially need to thank Bob Shaw for putting up with all of our petty gripes over the years and getting us to the wonderful place we are today with our Website, THANK YOU VERY MUCH BOB!

Amen to that. I had a chance to meet Bob at Lancaster when I attended his seminar. Thanks, Bob for all you have done, and good luck with your new endeavor.

JWW

Bob Andrews
12-31-2011, 05:11 AM
Welcome, Mark!

LarkR2Clone
12-31-2011, 07:22 AM

wheelsm
12-31-2011, 08:05 AM
[/SIZE]

Oh no!!! The very first thread our NEW SDC Webmaster posts is posted in the wrong Forum!!!

Administrator; please http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/GoldenHawk_photos/thread_moved-30big.png this thread down to the "SDC and Forum Discussions" Forum where it rightfully should have been posted.:eek::rolleyes::o;):o:)

That's why I'm not the Forum Administrator!

mbstude
12-31-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks Bob Shaw for all the years you've put in. You've earned your break. Now, look for an email from me soon regarding IDYSD. (The work never ends!)

Best of luck Mark. Looking forward to seeing what changes are made.

Warren Webb
12-31-2011, 10:01 AM
I too want to add my thanks to Mr. Shaw. This forum has spoiled me. I have joined others out of need at the time & have found them difficult to work with. Not only is the participants here cordial & helpful but the system is so user friendly due to Mr. Shaws input. My having met Clark personally & talked with Mark while renewing my membership only adds to continued improvements as this club moves forward!! Best wishes from the Webb's!!

Stu Chapman
12-31-2011, 11:18 AM
The Studebaker Forum has been a great vehicle for the really active SDC members and I must compliment Bob Shaw for his excellent devotion to the task. Having worked with Mark Wheeler, I know that he, along with Clark Novak, will continue the established greatness of the Forum. I look forward to the changes planned for the future.
Stu Chapman

Welcome
12-31-2011, 11:46 AM
That's why I'm not the Forum Administrator!

That was a good move, Mark!!!;)

And while youíre making "good moves," please take a serious look at combining and/or eliminating some of these Forums. There are so many that rarely get used it can surely give visitors/surfers to our Clubís website an "impression" we take very little interest in such things as; SDC Judging! Where our SDC Chief Judge has for over 2 months made a plea for assistance and has not received even a single post in response!!! Naturally, every Forum poster wants to have "their posts" get the most reads/attention so naturally they tend to post in the most read/most popular "General Studebaker-Specific Discussion" Forum. So why not simply have ONE Studebaker Discussion Forum and ONE Non-Studebaker Discussion Forum? Especially now with the excellent vBulletin "Search" and "Advance Search" features it is easy for anyone ...to find anything ...anytime they want without having to read through all those different "sliced, diced & divided up" Forums!!!

And another thing on this LAST DAY of the SDC FIRST 50 YEARS:

No one could question our Clubís two greatest communication & marketing tools are this SDC Website and our fine TURNING WHEELS magazine. Why then has so very little effort been made to cross-promote the other to SDC Members and prospective NEW MEMBERS??? Any prospective NEW MEMBER really has to search the current SDC Website's Homepage to find that a SDC magazine even exists:( ...and ...any reader of TURNING WHEELS would have to scour from cover-to-cover to find a hint the SDC Website exists:( ...much less is loaded with information and has Forums to real-time interfacing! Why canít those two SDC medias work better TOGETHER for the good of our Club???

Mark, you are in possibly the most unique position in our Club as it now enters the Second 50 Years of existence. As YOU take the helm of all SDCís Internet presence what you do ...or donít do ...or how you do it can largely effect whether our Club grows & prospers or dwindles and fades into the sunset.

Best of luck!!!;)

wheelsm
12-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Hi Welcome.

You have some good ideas. Thank you. I would remind everyone that it takes ALL OF US to help this great club grow and prosper. It is not the responsibility of one person. It is not mine; it is not Tom Curtis' (the President); it is not Bob Shaw's, etc. Everyone has a duty to recruit new members. When you're out driving your Studebaker, take along an extra copy of Turning Wheels magazine to give to someone who takes an interest. (Need "promotional" copies of Turning Wheels? They're free! Just give us a call at 763-420-7829 or e-mail sdc@cornerstonereg.com to obtain some.) When you're at a meet or other local gathering (not just the SDC's), talk up the club! When you're posting threads/comments in the SDC Forum, be courteous and inviting. There are non-members out there who read this Forum too!

If anyone has some suggestions for the new SDC web site, please contact me at webmaster@studebakerdriversclub.com. Many people have given me great suggestions already.
If you have a marketing idea, then contact the SDC Marketing Committee (Bob Shaw or Tom Curtis).
If you have an idea for the SDC Forum, contact Clark Novak at ForumAdmin@studebakerdriversclub.com

We're all here to see this club into the next 50 years!

aarrggh
12-31-2011, 12:27 PM
Well if your from Minnesota thats already a plus . ( winking smiley here ) . . . Do you own a Studebaker ? ..............................

wheelsm
12-31-2011, 01:31 PM
Well if your from Minnesota thats already a plus . ( winking smiley here ) . . . Do you own a Studebaker ? ..............................

I'll probably be drummed out of town for this......no, I do not. I own a 1971 Corvette Stingray. It was my dream car as a kid.
I ALMOST had a 1957 Golden Hawk. A friend in town here owned it. I always drooled over it. One day he told me he was putting it up for sale. Normally, I would have jumped at the chance, but I was in the middle of a divorce with assets frozen. ARG! It's the "one that got away" (the car, not the wife).

sweetolbob
12-31-2011, 01:50 PM
Posted by Welcome
<snip> Naturally, every Forum poster wants to have "their posts" get the most reads/attention so naturally they tend to post in the most read/most popular "General Studebaker-Specific Discussion" Forum. So why not simply have ONE Studebaker Discussion Forum and ONE Non-Studebaker Discussion Forum? Especially now with the excellent vBulletin "Search" and "Advance Search" features it is easy for anyone ...to find anything ...anytime they want without having to read through all those different "sliced, diced & divided up" Forums!!!

Mark

I tend to agree with Jim on most posts but if he is advocating combining the General and Technical sections into one unit I'd like to disagree. There are enough postings per day to drive topics to the second page of a single Studebaker entity where they can be easily missed if you don't check on a regular/daily basis. The beauty of the technical section is the amount of answers to problems it draws from a wide range of posters.

Secondly, Jim is also more enthusiastic about the search function than I am. You need to get pretty specific to use it successfully and for me that's ok as I use it frequently but for new folks and casual users it's not that easy.

But welcome to this herd of cats and please know that Clark has been doing a great job of moderating this forum lately as I has personally discovered.

Bob

BobPalma
12-31-2011, 01:53 PM
I ALMOST had a 1957 Golden Hawk. A friend in town here owned it. I always drooled over it.

I trust that is a figure of speech, Mark. <GGG> BP