PDA

View Full Version : Touch-up Paint Source

Silverplate
12-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Does anyone have a source for touch-up paint. I am seeking it for my 1964 Avanti P-6432 Avanti Turquoise. Thanks...Mike

Welcome
12-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Does anyone have a source for touch-up paint. I am seeking it for my 1964 Avanti P-6432 Avanti Turquoise. Thanks...Mike

Coupla ways to go on this; see if S/I still has that color in those original touch-up tubes and then loosen it up with some thinner ...OR order a set of original Studebaker factory paint chips from them and have a local paint jobber mix some fresh up for you.

Good Luck!!!:cool:

dong
12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Tower Paint mixed me a pint of Riveria Blue, they said they could mix any Stude color from the 50s or 60s, also could provide it in a spray can. I don't have any contact info with me but could look tomorrow if you want.

jlmccuan
12-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Are you brush touching up scratches or spraying. I have PPG formulas and an original touchup tube.

rusty65
12-29-2011, 11:18 PM
Two places to try: Tower Paints, Oshkosh WI (as mentioned earlier), and P.&T.Auto parts, Detroit MI.
Still have a gallon and a quart of original Turquoise, pre-thinned, ready to go.
The Tower spray cans work well.They matched the colors for my Daytona and my Crapparo.

mmagic
12-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Locally NAPA mixes acrylic enamel based on original paint numbers and loads it in rattle cans for me. I prefer acrylic enamel for touch-up and small jobs over the premixed lacquers. While more durable in the long run, it will be noticeably soft for several weeks.

I have another local paint shop that will do great color match without the original numbers... a real art but compensates for sun/time fade. His best trick was doing a perfect match on my non-standard color on my MGB GT from across the parking lot. Ask around locally and I bet you'll find a similar shop.

12-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Locally NAPA mixes acrylic enamel based on original paint numbers and loads it in rattle cans for me. I prefer acrylic enamel for touch-up and small jobs over the premixed lacquers. While more durable in the long run, it will be noticeably soft for several weeks.

I have another local paint shop that will do great color match without the original numbers... a real art but compensates for sun/time fade. His best trick was doing a perfect match on my non-standard color on my MGB GT from across the parking lot. Ask around locally and I bet you'll find a similar shop.
Personally I think this is the best approach especially considering the weathering/fading of the paint presently on the car. And, if it has been repainted, it may not match the original color. When I had my Maroon '64 Avanti repainted, they couldn't match the color from a formula (had been repainted with a much more metallic finish). My painter took a piece of the body that had not been repainted (may have been inside trunk lid- can't remember) to a paint shop. They scanned it and found that it was virtually an exact match of a Winnego motor home color- problem solved.