Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The first Studebaker owners' meet: 1912!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first Studebaker owners' meet: 1912!

Macon, Georgia may have had the honor of hosting the very first Studebaker owners' meet in history. Can you imagine 5000 Studebaker owners together at once in 1912?

Here's the full story: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...electric&hl=en
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

That was pretty cool even J.M. was there but illness prevented him from attending? Or was it Jr that was ill or both?
    Tom
    sigpic

Comment

As I read it it seemed that both Studebaker brothers were ill.
      "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

I would imagine that all of the Studebaker owners in attendance were people of means. Not many of the ordinary working folks had a car at that early date. The technology was still new and expensive. Sort of like a Tesla owners meeting today.
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I would imagine that a buch of us must have attended...come on...speack up! Got any picutres?
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Richard Quinn was probably there.

It states that the first motor car in Macon, GA was a Studebaker Electric. That's cool.

It'd be interesting to have a "Studebaker Day" at the Macon fair 100 years later. Maybe Stephen Cade would bring his 1911 Flanders.
            Last edited by mbstude; 12-29-2011, 08:36 AM.

Comment

After thinking about it for a while, I think I remember seeing Bob of candbstudebakers there!
              Lou Van Anne
              62 Champ
              64 R2 GT Hawk
              79 Avanti II

Comment

Note that the article stated that Clement Studebaker JUNIOR was unable to attend. There was only one Studebaker brother alive in 1912 and that was J.M.. Clement Jr. was, of course, the son of Clement the former President of the company, who died in 1901.

Just settin' the record straight.
                Last edited by STEWDI; 12-29-2011, 10:12 AM. Reason: smiley face
                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
                  I would imagine that a buch of us must have attended...come on...speack up! Got any picutres?
                  Sorry, I left my camera in the Locomobile that day!

Comment

Working...
                  X