Most elegant Studebaker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most elegant Studebaker???

My vote goes to the 1931 President model 90 Brougham. While many Studebakers could be called attractive, stylish or cute very few could come close to matching the classic era Presidents when it comes to "elegance."

Incidentally this photo was taken at a site very significant to the history of Studebaker. Anyone have an idea of where that might be?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

It would be hard to beat that one for elegance that is for sure. Absolutely beautiful.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Tippecanoe Place?
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

You're dead wrong, Richard!

THIS has to be the MOST ELEGANT Studebaker! Color coordination at its FINEST to go along with this outstandingly SUMPTUOUS interior!!

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 12-27-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Are fake Landau bars considered "elegant?"

I dunno. I'm suprised they would already be harkening back to another time for something they wished they had by putting fake representations on a very luxurious car.
          'Course that trend continued in the industry for a very long time now, didn't it?

Not trying to make any one angry. That's just one way I view it.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by bob40 View Post
            Tippecanoe Place?
            No but you are in the right city!
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
              Are fake Landau bars considered "elegant?"
              On this car....Yes! I prefer the term "Decorative" Landau Bars.

I am a fan of most cars of the thirties. Not only Studebaker, but others of the era made cars that I consider "rolling art." When I was a child, I was often enthralled by what I found in the beautiful wooden framed display cases I saw in stores. From the display of old pocket watches in my Grandfather's shop, to electric trains in toy stores. I now have one of those antique display cases in my living room.

I still get the same rush when standing at the back of one of these old cars and peering in through the back window.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

THIS has to be the MOST ELEGANT Studebaker! Color coordination at its FINEST to go along with this outstandingly SUMPTUOUS interior!!

Yike, butt ugly comes to mind. But what can we expect from a truck guy. I guess elegance like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

Yike, butt ugly comes to mind. But what can we expect from a truck guy. I guess elegance like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
                  I would agree with you Richard, with one exception. If this was the vehicle that picked you up and carried you AWAY from the battle...then considering it the "most elegant Studebaker" is forgivable.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                    I dunno. I'm suprised they would already be harkening back to another time for something they wished they had by putting fake representations on a very luxurious car.
                    'Course that trend continued in the industry for a very long time now, didn't it?

Not trying to make any one angry. That's just one way I view it.
                    Actually the landau arms were only used by Studebaker in the 1929-31 era and only on the President. Their presence was undoubtedly intended to give an "air" of class. You know like putting stainless mouldings on in the later years (i.e. they had no function other than to be decorative). Incidentally there was also a '31 Commander Brougham that had a nearly identical body but without the Landau arms.
                    Richard Quinn

Comment

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1325035110

My vote goes to the 1931 President model 90 Brougham. While many Studebakers could be called attractive, stylish or cute very few could come close to matching the classic era Presidents when it comes to "elegance."

Incidentally this photo was taken at a site very significant to the history of Studebaker. Anyone have an idea of where that might be?
                      Albert Erskines home.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

My vote for 'Most Elegant' would go to most Studebakers from the mid to late 30s. Pure artwork. When I get to see one in person, it gives me chills.

I don't know which ones are which; I don't study pre-war cars much since the prices of them likely preclude any chance of my owning one I particularly recall a '38 of some model that blew me away at the museum a couple years back. J'adore!
                        Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                        Romans 15:13
                        Deuteronomy 31:6
                        Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I agree with Richard, this one is perfect.
                          John Clements
                          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1953 View Post
                            Albert Erskines home.
                            You win!! Now we have to decide what it is you won. Maybe the undying admiration of everyone here on the forum. On the other hand that may be a little strong.
                            Richard Quinn

Comment

Actually the landau arms were only used by Studebaker in the 1929-31 era and only on the President.
                              I suppose, after carriage manufacturing was concluded, Studebaker produced no true Landau models?
                              Also, hard to imagine no one ever took a Studebaker chassis of the era to a coach builder to produce a true one. Shades of Norma Desmond's Isotta-Fraschini.

Brad Johnson,
                              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                              X