PDA

View Full Version : Suspension for a 1953 champion

rsturtevant
06-21-2007, 08:24 PM
I am currently having a shop rero a 1953 champion starlight coupe. I have purchased a Phantom Studebaker (Slick Street Stuff) kit to install a Chevy 350 engine and overdrive transmission in the car. I have purchased a Dana 44 rear end eith phlanged axels and rear drum breaks. Thee kit has Ford disk brakes and rack and pinion steering. My question is: what kind of springs and shocks should I used with the 350 engine in the Champion?

BeeJay
06-22-2007, 01:33 PM
I am not familular with that particular front end setup, but assuming that it is a Mustang II type front end, Mustang 6 cylinder springs should work best. Because the engine sits farther rearward in relation to the front axle, the lighter springs work with the V-8

Bob

Own '53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Mike Van Veghten
06-22-2007, 02:39 PM
BeeJay -

No it's not Mustang II
It's just tubing Stude stuff with either Ford or GM spindles. Nothing different.

rsturtevant -

I'd say contact the Phantom guys for spring/shock recomondations.
Since it is their kit, I assume they'd have the best required info.
Not many have sprung for this kit since it doesn't really better the Stude geometry. A fair bit of money for tubing control arms and a R&P (that may or may not be better than the OEM configuration.)

Mike

sbca96
06-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Will SOMEONE who is doing this conversion PLEASE post some pictures
and some numbers? I would love to see some slalom results, maybe a
couple stops from 60 and so forth. Just saying it "feels better" isnt
a good review - since "better" for some might be a mushy ride and that
ultra slow steering with bias ply tires or balloon radials.

I agree .. contact Phantom with questions - keep us updated!

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires