PDA

View Full Version : Old PS Fluid

jackb
06-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I found that the PS fluid reservoir has extremely dirty and smelly fluid.....should be after 40+ years. What's the best way to flush the system ?

John Kirchhoff
06-21-2007, 11:35 PM
I know what a pain it is to disconnect the lines on the cylinder and control valve, so if it were me, I think I'd suck out all the old stuff from the reservoir and disconnect the return line. Plug the return line connection in the tank, add new fluid, and with the coil wire unplugged, crank the engine over while catching the old stuff coming from the return line. Turning the steering wheel at the same time will help evacuate the old stuff from the cylinder. I guess you could let thte engine fire up but I bet there'd be oil squirting out big time.

N8N
06-22-2007, 07:40 AM
BTDT.. .yes with the engine running it will come out pretty fast but you can catch it in a bucket. another idea would be to put a magnet in the reservoir, to catch any metallic debris and keep it from circulating

nate

--
55 Commander Starlight
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

sbca96
06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
The fluid in my power ram was black.:D;)

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires

DEEPNHOCK
06-22-2007, 05:11 PM
Hey! It's a black car;)
You're color coordinated....
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by sbca96

The fluid in my power ram was black.:D;)

sbca96
06-23-2007, 04:01 AM
Good point ... I didnt think of it that way!

Tom

DEEPNHOCK
06-24-2007, 08:44 AM
I find that radio duo to be incredibly funny about three or four times in half an hour. The rest of the time they are incredibly irritating as they try desparately to search for any joke a call could provide. But, as with most shows...comedy is a tough business[}:)]...
Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bradnree

"Click and Clack" discussed this topic on NPR (National Public Radio) during the convention weekend, on the radio. They are on-line too...............Brad

bradnree
06-24-2007, 09:23 AM
"Click and Clack" discussed this topic on NPR (National Public Radio) during the convention weekend, on the radio. They are on-line too...............Brad

John Kirchhoff
06-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Tom mentioned the oil being black, anyone remember from maybe 15 years ago the motor oil that had graphite mixed in with it? It was grayish black from the get go. Can't seem to recall who made it, was it Phillips or Mobil??

sbca96
06-25-2007, 05:08 PM
But .. oddly it was only the oil in the ram that was black, I guess it
makes sense since its the lowest point, but it was kinda odd.

Tom

John Kirchhoff
06-26-2007, 10:06 AM
If you think about it, barring a leak, the oil in the cylinder isn't going to be circulated through the system but rather it will be displaced back and forth when turning.