Cost of Events on the Schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Events on the Schedule

Is there a place that has the prices of tours etc.? I find the schedule, but would like to know the costs so I can make plans. I did find some prices by playing to register, but I figured there had to be an easier way.

Thanks
    Last edited by JRoberts; 12-26-2011, 02:27 PM.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

I will check on this they should be on meet site.

Mike

Comment

The cost of events made me to decide to cancel my trip , Never have been to Southbend and the cost of events seemed to make a 3 day trip with hotel amount to $1000 and was not cost effective to me. After canceling rooms , I found out that a lot of things I wished to see were a lot cheaper than quoted if you just wanted to see the event ,and not make a meal of it. Seems the cost of items should be quoted , so we who have never been their know what we are getting into. from the way the Studebaker museum was presented , I thought it was priced out of sight , only to find $8 was standard and $6.50 was 60 and older, real reasonable. I may be the only one to not know the pricing of items , but if anyone else takes the listings wrong, more people may miss ashow they would have gone too.
      Randy Wilkin
      1946 M5 Streetrod
      Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Originally posted by rodnutrandy View Post
        The cost of events made me to decide to cancel my trip , Never have been to Southbend and the cost of events seemed to make a 3 day trip with hotel amount to $1000 and was not cost effective to me. After canceling rooms , I found out that a lot of things I wished to see were a lot cheaper than quoted if you just wanted to see the event ,and not make a meal of it. Seems the cost of items should be quoted , so we who have never been their know what we are getting into. from the way the Studebaker museum was presented , I thought it was priced out of sight , only to find $8 was standard and $6.50 was 60 and older, real reasonable. I may be the only one to not know the pricing of items , but if anyone else takes the listings wrong, more people may miss ashow they would have gone too.
        Just curious ...what would you have considered "a cost effective trip" from Ohio to SB to attend an International Meet on the 50th Anniversary of SDC & of the Avanti? I also wonder what our members from Australia and other places beyond Ohio consider "a cost effective trip" to the 2012 IM would be?

And would you please provide more specific examples of what you mean ...and who you believe those costs are controlled by the; SDC? SNM? AOIA? ASC? or ??? TIA

Comment

Randy – please reschedule your trip! Believe me, there are lots of things to do and see that don't cost anything extra: mostly seeing the cars and meeting people, which for me is what it's really about anyway.

For each IM I've attended, I have looked at the tour costs, and have done almost none of them. I'm not saying they're not worth it; lots of folks must think it is, since they wouldn't be scheduled in the first place. But for me, just traveling and bringing a Studebaker and having a room and meals is expensive enough.

We will spend most of our time at the IM looking at the cars, and wandering the swap meet. We will also make a trek to the museum and Studebaker international, and probably the Notre Dame campus. None of those things cost extra, and they will eat up most of the 3 to 4 days we will be in town. The trip over to the proving grounds to take a lap in the Studebaker is worth the trip alone to me, and that doesn't cost any extra.

So you see, there's lots of things to do without having to spend all the money on tours. God bless those who can afford to do that, but at least at this stage of my life it's not me.
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

ONE , I don't come from Australia, so don't compare their costs anymore than they compare mine when go to a show in their home country. AS far as costs , hotel $400, Gas $150 , meals $150, entry $30, Auburn Duesenburg tour $69 per person ,amish tour $79 per person , Studebaker museum tour was $79, (only to find out later price is $8 per person on your own. I have been a streetrodder for over 30 years and drove to hundreds of show , that is what I compare to . You also don't pay at a streetrod show to be judged and don't pay to go to a banquet to see awards given out. I have switched from South bend to the Evensville (frog Follies ) . I feel that is more to my taste . Thanks Bob for your imput , but rooms are cancelled so I will watch from home! Hope everyone has a great time!
            Last edited by rodnutrandy; 01-22-2012, 05:05 AM.
            Randy Wilkin
            1946 M5 Streetrod
            Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Randy,

I am not sure what you were looking at but there is NO Studebaker Museum Tour at 79$. There is a Tour to Amish Country with a meal included for that price. The IM is a very structured Meet (per SDC guidelines) and as such we are required to do certain things such as the Awards Banquet, at which accommodations can and are made for those that do not want the dinner but only want to be there for the awards. I wish you had contacted one of the Chairmen directly prior to making your decision to give us a chance to address your concerns. The forum is a great communication tool but is not always the best way to get an answer, especially when our (Chairs) direct contact information is readily available. For example there are other hotels available nearby ,other than the Host hotel as is always the case at IMs and will be serviced by our shuttle. We have worked very hard to keep costs down as much as possible while still making sure our and SDC's expenses are covered and still provide unique and interesting events for aw wide range of people. I would urge you to give South Bend another look.

Comment

As far as prices go, you could drive yourself to the ACD Tour or the Amish tour at Shipshewana, the prices quoted are for bus tours. We did the 2007 Hudson National at Auburn with a driving tour to Shipshewana, as a side adventure we went up to the Stude National Museum and SASCO. It is very easy to do , using the back roads, no Garmin for us. This event is what you make it !! Lou Cote

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  Is there a place that has the prices of tours etc.? I find the schedule, but would like to know the costs so I can make plans. I did find some prices by playing to register, but I figured there had to be an easier way.

Thanks
                  The associated costs are listed with the tour descriptions in the February Turning Wheels.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Ok ,I am convinced that i jumped the gun on canceling. Thank you for the insite! I know I really enjoyed the tri state meet where I got to put faces with the names and see a lot of nice Studebakers and nicer Studebaker people. And I feel the South Bend meet should be special . I will stop at Auburn Dusenburg tour on way in ($8 person) and see south bend sites after arriving! rebooked at host hotel and got the room I needed. Thanks for all the feedback.
                    Last edited by rodnutrandy; 01-22-2012, 04:37 PM.
                    Randy Wilkin
                    1946 M5 Streetrod
                    Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Randy,
                      Do to another convention that my wife needs to attend, I decided to go by myself and live at the fairgrounds. I will trailer the '53 coupe behind the old motorhome and will have that to see the sights and attend the meetings. Sometimes I end up attending so many events that are going on, that I don't get adequite time to tour the swap area. There is ALWAYS something going on that doesn't cost a lot.
                      Tour prices are getting out of sight, but when you consider the bus owner is showing up in a half million dollar vehicle and he has a driver to pay, along with having a mechanic and bus washer available plus the cost of tires, fuel, insurance, etc.. Those prices can't be lowered a lot.
                      Caterers are what "do-in" the banquets... they overcharge for everything & the hotel gets a cut as well... unfortunately that is the times in which we live.
                      I have been involved with several zone meets & have a bit of an idea of what the meet committee is going through. It ain't fun!
                      I hope to see you in South Bend!

Comment

Working...
                      X