Lowboy discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowboy discs

I am out in the West coast of Canada, and have just bought a 1954 Lowboy, and am still pinching myself to see if this is really happening! I need to put discs on the front, and have been told that it can be done fairly easily, but that's all I have heard... Any suggestions? regards...Gary

First of all, The car. Raymond Lowey and his design team developed the style, hence the name Lowey coupe or hardtop (depending on the presence or absence of the B pillar) Lowboy is an uninformed mispronunciation.

For disc brake information, go to the link below.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '60 Lark VI
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

First of all, The car. Raymond Lowey and his design team developed the style, hence the name Lowey coupe or hardtop (depending on the presence or absence of the B pillar) Lowboy is an uninformed mispronunciation.

For disc brake information, go to the link below.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars.jpg[/img=left]
      Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI
      '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
      All three Indiana built OD cars

Comment

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Studebakering. Hang out here and you can get most of your questions answered. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club and have alot of fun.

Don Wilson
        53 Commander Hardtop
        64 Champ 1/2 ton
        Centralia, WA
        Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
        50 Champion 2 door*
        53 Commander K Auto*
        53 Commander K overdrive*
        55 President Speedster
        62 GT 4Speed*
        63 Avanti R1*
        64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Studebakering. Hang out here and you can get most of your questions answered. Join the Studebaker Drivers Club and have alot of fun.

Don Wilson
          53 Commander Hardtop
          64 Champ 1/2 ton
          Centralia, WA
          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
          50 Champion 2 door*
          53 Commander K Auto*
          53 Commander K overdrive*
          55 President Speedster
          62 GT 4Speed*
          63 Avanti R1*
          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Actually, an old timer mechanic once told me that back when the early C-Ks were common, they would refer to the coupes and hardtops as "Lowboys" and the sedans as "Highboys" when ordering parts because of the difference between the cars. I don't think the "Lowboy" term is an intentional mispronunciation of the Lowey name. It was just slang used at that time to differentiate between the C-Ks and sedans.

Comment

Actually, an old timer mechanic once told me that back when the early C-Ks were common, they would refer to the coupes and hardtops as "Lowboys" and the sedans as "Highboys" when ordering parts because of the difference between the cars. I don't think the "Lowboy" term is an intentional mispronunciation of the Lowey name. It was just slang used at that time to differentiate between the C-Ks and sedans.

Comment

I agree that lowboy comes as a name from the difference between the C/K bodies and the sedans, not from the design studio's owner's name - Loewy (note correct spelling of his name).

Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I agree that lowboy comes as a name from the difference between the C/K bodies and the sedans, not from the design studio's owner's name - Loewy (note correct spelling of his name).

Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Gary. It didn't look right to me while I was typing it, but I couldn't remember for sure. [:I][B)]

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Gary. It didn't look right to me while I was typing it, but I couldn't remember for sure. [:I][B)]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B
                        Lowboy is an uninformed mispronunciation.
                        It's the nick name of choice for the 53-54 C/K's here in the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern Canada. I believe it is intentional and not a mispronunciation. The 53-54 C/K's certainly were low when compared to the competition of the time.

Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B
                          Lowboy is an uninformed mispronunciation.
                          It's the nick name of choice for the 53-54 C/K's here in the Pacific Northwest and Southwestern Canada. I believe it is intentional and not a mispronunciation. The 53-54 C/K's certainly were low when compared to the competition of the time.

Dick Steinkamp
                          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'm glad made that geographic distinction as the "lowboy" terminology. While at the ECTA Speed Trials this weekend a friend from Ontario mentioned that his brother had found a Studebaker Lowboy that he is going to turn into a land speed racer. I was a bit confused about that term. I think he found it in western Canada somewhere.
                            Joe Roberts
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I'm glad made that geographic distinction as the "lowboy" terminology. While at the ECTA Speed Trials this weekend a friend from Ontario mentioned that his brother had found a Studebaker Lowboy that he is going to turn into a land speed racer. I was a bit confused about that term. I think he found it in western Canada somewhere.
                              Joe Roberts
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X