PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Avanti Studebaker XUV

StudeMichael
12-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Where is this vehicle today?

http://hooniverse.com/2011/11/24/a-hooniverse-thanksgiving-turkey-the-2004-avanti-studebaker-xuv/

DEEPNHOCK
12-25-2011, 08:05 AM
Probably in a warehouse in Mexico.
It was just a fiberglass shell over a 3/4 ton Ford, you know.
I saw it in Villa Rica, GA when they were doing some computer graphic design work (measuring it by placing dots all over it).
When you looked inside, all you saw were 2x4's covered in fiberglas mat... Real crude on the inside.

Where is this vehicle today?
http://hooniverse.com/2011/11/24/a-hooniverse-thanksgiving-turkey-the-2004-avanti-studebaker-xuv/

COMMANDERPINK1
12-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Jeff your right about the shell just sitting on a rolling chassis. I remember seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show and thought WTH is this all about! also the troubles they had with the Hummer company.
Tom

DEEPNHOCK
12-25-2011, 08:36 AM
I thought the Hummer squabble was marketing genius.
Get GM to threaten to sue you, grab all the headlines, and then show it off anyways.
Typical corporate foot stomping...
Now... If it were in Chicago today.... The political GM connection (in Washington AND Chicago) probably would have killed it off right away.:rolleyes:

Jeff your right about the shell just sitting on a rolling chassis. I remember seeing it at the Chicago Auto Show and thought WTH is this all about! also the troubles they had with the Hummer company.
Tom

Avantict
12-25-2011, 08:12 PM
A more advanced version complete with interior was last seen in Cancun early part of this year (2011). I believe it was fully drive able but needed a lot finishing work especially dash and components. All tolled I believe there were at least three prototypes "built" to various stages. Hope this helps.

John H

Milaca
12-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Does the Cancun Mexico assets contain any tooling for the original Studebaker Avanti?

Andy R.
12-26-2011, 02:29 AM
If it is in Cancun, the best use I can see is for amphibious use. A few decades of coral would at least make it useful.

DEEPNHOCK
12-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Sort of like the Avanti 'Limo' that was built to shuttle the marks, er... guests.. to the ponzi scheme resort/timeshare facility, huh...

A more advanced version complete with interior was last seen in Cancun early part of this year (2011). I believe it was fully drive able but needed a lot finishing work especially dash and components. All tolled I believe there were at least three prototypes "built" to various stages. Hope this helps.

John H

DEEPNHOCK
12-26-2011, 08:35 AM
The few times I toured the Villa Rica facility, I never saw any 1963/4 tooling (molds) at all.
Did see some Ohio stuff (4 door Avanti molds) stuffed into rows collecting dust.
Don't know what actually made the trip from Georgia to Mexico,
but I'd bet a chalupa nothing went down there that didn't have to do with the 'then' current production.
But that's a swag.
Jeff:cool:

Does the Cancun Mexico assets contain any tooling for the original Studebaker Avanti?

raprice
12-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Any time I hear or read about someone who's going to bring out a totally new auto company, I take that with a grain of salt. It's an overwhelming task for anyone or any company to do all the grunt work just to get a company going. There's all the financing, or more importantly, getting the necessary financing to just get started.
It's nice to think of a new vehicle with the Studebaker name coming out, but I'm not holding my breath.
Rog

8E45E
12-26-2011, 09:38 AM
Did see some Ohio stuff (4 door Avanti molds) stuffed into rows collecting dust.

Unless there was more than one set, they are now in storage in MN.

Craig

R2Andrea
12-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Most, if not all, of the remaining Avanti tooling was sold off at the auction in Youngstown years ago. The New Avanti Motor Corp. (or whatever name they were using at the time) had no interest in the pre '97 cars or parts. Much of the tooling/production equipment was bought by scrappers and was destroyed.

Retired
12-26-2011, 05:23 PM
email LTCRP@Q.COM for photo of finished product.http://stude XUV

Retired
01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Some one emailed me for a photo of the finished product, I sent requested photo, Has it been posted?? If so where?

DEEPNHOCK
01-04-2012, 12:50 PM
This was just a stock pic from the Avanti Motorcar files.

Some one emailed me for a photo of the finished product, I sent requested photo, Has it been posted?? If so where?

sbca96
01-05-2012, 12:59 AM
A few decades of coral would at least make it useful.

Agreed. As I explained to the management : Why in Gods name attach the Studebaker
name to the last SUV on the market? I mean they were already on the way out, it was
only GM that thought it was going to last. They cancelled the Zeta platform which their
Holden division in Australia picked up and finished. Good thing too or the new Camaro
would have never existed. I went on to tell them bringing back the Wagonaire will be
the new best thing, crossovers will be short lived and Wagons will catch on again. This
was about 2006 or so. I told them to develop their own chassis and make both the '07
Avanti and the Wagon share it. It should be a sporty wagon, no wood grain. Now, as
we move into 2012 even Cadillac has a wagon :

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/tests/drives/2011-cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon/2258890-2-eng-US/2011-cadillac-cts-v-sport-wagon.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY9esSVj80E

Tom