Headers with a SBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: Headers with a SBC

Does anyone know a long header that works with a SBC in a 53 coupe?

I have already the short block huggers, was hoping someone might have an idea.

Long tube will work on the right side only due to the steering arrangement on Studes. Unless you change the whole steering setup block huggers are your only alternative.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Right , forgot to mention I have rack and pinion steering, so i only have to clear the steering shaft it self.

Comment

It's do-able, but unless you really, really want to do it, I'd stay with the shorties. Depending on whether the SBC you are referring to is the old style or LS series, the power steering pump/alternator/and steering shaft run into interference at some points, and that also depends on how you have your accessory drives set up. Not for tourists.
        '53 Commander
        Art Morrison chassis
        LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
          Right , forgot to mention I have rack and pinion steering, so i only have to clear the steering shaft it self.
          John

That changes everything. I have a set of long headers from a Chevy Truck installed in the 54K. It is not a direct fit as I needed to modify one pipe on the drivers side and fold the passengers side closer to the block to improve the fit although that side would have worked without the change. They are not big issues but that is as close as I think you'll find.

If you want coated headers, you will need to modify them first then coat.

This is the only shot I have of them on file but they fit quite well.

Bob

Comment

John, did you check the Sanderson site, they list about 60 SBC headers, some longtube, some look like equal length, others don't. Many have some dimensions given which will kind of give you an idea if they'll clear critical components that you can't move. Even make some cool fender well headers for 567 chubbies...always wanted to have a car with a set but never had the nads to install them on my Stude and cut up my NOS inner fenders. Pehaps if I ever get around to building a gasser style (yum yum) of car I will absolutely be running fender well headers. In high school there was a guy with a 72 Demon with a full flip frontend with fenderwell headers, always thought that was so cool and I had a friend that built fenderwell headers for his 302 powered 37 Plymouth a 4dr no less. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Chev...ck-V8-Headers/

Have a great new year...Junior.
            Last edited by junior; 12-25-2011, 05:44 PM.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
              John, did you check the Sanderson site, they list about 60 SBC headers, some longtube, some look like equal length, others don't. Many have some dimensions given which will kind of give you an idea if they'll clear critical components that you can't move. Even make some cool fender well headers for 567 chubbies...always wanted to have a car with a set but never had the nads to install them on my Stude and cut up my NOS inner fenders. Pehaps if I ever get around to building a gasser style (yum yum) of car I will absolutely be running fender well headers. In high school there was a guy with a 72 Demon with a full flip frontend with fenderwell headers, always thought that was so cool and I had a friend that built fenderwell headers for his 302 powered 37 Plymouth a 4dr no less. http://www.sandersonheaders.com/Chev...ck-V8-Headers/

Have a great new year...Junior.
              Hey Junior, thanks for that info, that is good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                John

That changes everything. I have a set of long headers from a Chevy Truck installed in the 54K. It is not a direct fit as I needed to modify one pipe on the drivers side and fold the passengers side closer to the block to improve the fit although that side would have worked without the change. They are not big issues but that is as close as I think you'll find.

If you want coated headers, you will need to modify them first then coat.

This is the only shot I have of them on file but they fit quite well.

Bob
                Thanks Bob , have you any idea what year truck that might be?

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                  Thanks Bob , have you any idea what year truck that might be?
                  John

I think it was late 80's 350 full size. If it gets important, I'll try to check further.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                    John

I think it was late 80's 350 full size. If it gets important, I'll try to check further.

Bob
                    Ok Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X