GCWR for 1953 Studebaker R6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCWR for 1953 Studebaker R6

I am trying to register my 1953 Studebaker R6 truck and they are requiring the GCWR before I can do that. My title says NA under the GCWR area and I can't seem to find it through other sources. Anyone out there have the answer or know where I could find that information? Thanks in advance.

Pat,
    Your profile doesn't indicate what state you live in. Sometimes that makes a difference.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

If I understand GCWR to include the tongue weight of a trailer, I don't believe the term GCWR as we use the term today was used in 1953. The only Stude trucks for which a towing capacity was provided were those built as tractors. Load was load, no matter how it was achieved.

The GVW should be shown on your serial number plate as 4800 pounds. The empty weight of a 2R6 was listed as 2890 lbs. 160 lbs should be added to determine road weight (fluids, etc). This did not include tthe weight of a driver.
      Last edited by Skip Lackie; 12-24-2011, 02:07 PM. Reason: typo
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Thanks for the responces. I was thinking somewhat along those lines, but in Pa. they say a title for any truck must have the GVWR and GCWR listed and since I have no intention of ever pulling and hauling with it, it seems to be an odd requirement.

Comment

The beaurocrats only think along modern lines. Our vehicles were made back when these things and VIN numbers didn't exist, but try telling that to today's no-alls.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

If this is a Pennsylvania requirement other PA Studebaker truck guys should be able to help with how to get your truck registered. As John said above, today's "rule makers" seem to over look that modern vehicles and vintage ones should not be judged by the same rules, but don't expectg most of them to understand that. Add to that the fact that each state (In the U.S. at any rate) seems to have its own rules and things get even more difficult. I hope you can find a sympathetic and logical ear somewhere along the PA DMV road to registration. Good Luck!
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I don't have access to my literature collection at the moment, but I think I have a copy of the service letter sent to state DMVs listing the specs of the 1953 trucks. I can mail you a copy later this week if you think it would help. I'm sure it does not use the term GCWR, but does show GVW and some other data.
              Skip Lackie

Comment

Most states just want a gross loaded weight. Since you dont plan to haul anything in it I would add 500# to the empty weight and go. Thats what I did with the Champ here in SC. Steve
                sigpic

Comment

Pat,
                  If you're in PA why not register as an antique? It costs $105 and you only do it once; good for life and no annual inspection required. Just don't use it as your primary vehicle and never commercially.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                  X