PDA

View Full Version : Christmas for my three grandsons: each gets their own 1963 Studebaker Champ Pickup

okc63avanti
12-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Each of my grandsons is getting a 1963 Studebaker Champ pickup for Christmas.

Hot Wheels 2011 New Models 29 of 50 "63 Studebaker Champ"

Back of package:

Born: 1963
Birthplace: South Bend, Indiana, USA
Designer: Studebaker
Speciality: With a cab based on a sedan body, this light duty pickup helped pioneer the concept of car-like comfort combined with rugged mechanical durability. And it's fully loaded with style.

kmac530
12-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Even Hot Wheels knows a Champ would look better with the "RIGHT" bed on it....lol

okc63avanti
12-23-2011, 11:57 PM
Even Hot Wheels knows a Champ would look better with the "RIGHT" bed on it....lol

The Hot Wheels version is a custom. The grill is inset into the body. It has side exhaust pipes exiting just in front of the rear wheels. The bed is flush with the cab body and the bed also has a tonneau cover. I guess Studebaker was finally able to build their own bed versus buying the ones from Dodge that stuck out a little wider than the cab. LOL

JRoberts
12-24-2011, 05:54 AM
I would love to build a Champ that looks like the Hot Wheels version. I love the bed and the way the exhaust exits.

rockinhawk
12-24-2011, 06:16 AM
I have some of the older Champs. I think they are Johnny Lightning. I am still looking for a C cab from hot wheels. I saw one at a swap meet but the vender wanted $50 bucks for it. I couldn't see that much money in it. I have bought trucks that I could drive for $50 dollars.

Gary1953
12-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I have some of the older Champs. I think they are Johnny Lightning. I am still looking for a C cab from hot wheels. I saw one at a swap meet but the vender wanted $50 bucks for it. I couldn't see that much money in it. I have bought trucks that I could drive for $50 dollars.

You should be able to find the yellow one wherever Hot Wheels are sold. These are available in red, blue, and yellow. Next year there will be a Hershey Chocolate version.

COMMANDERPINK1
12-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Had a buddy that I will lend a hand to when he calls bring me the three Champs in yellow, red, and the turquiose colors yesterday for a Christmas gift.
Tom

StudeMichael
12-24-2011, 09:05 AM
You should be able to find the yellow one wherever Hot Wheels are sold. These are available in red, blue, and yellow. Next year there will be a Hershey Chocolate version.

Neil is talking about finding a "C" cab Gary, not a Hotwheels Champ.

kmac530
12-24-2011, 10:23 AM
If I had a Champ, I would buy a left and a right front fender and 4 door skins and I would build bed side that match the cab. I just think that would make a Champ just look perfect. I dont think it would be to hard to do this or even too expensive, there are plenty of Lark/Champ body parts available out there even in new repop. You could build it on the early C-cab type bed and just cut off the sides and hang the new sheet metal sides on it. The hardest part would be getting the wheel well opening set just right to either match the front opening, or raise just a bit like most vehicles are.

Sounds like I have my next project all ready....now just paying for a clean Champ starter truck...

Steve T
12-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Didn't know there was a Hot Wheels C-cab...cool!! Will keep an eye out for it. There's certainly a whole series of 2R/3R trucks from the M2 outfit, which do tend to be pricey although they were available last year in Target stores stateside (we don't have Target here yet; they're in process of taking over the Zellers chain) at more modest prices.

My nephew is getting one of the yellow Champs tomorrow too...he recently found out about my old Hot Wheels trackage (in my parents' shed), and has now found a new use for his Hot Wheels when visiting Grandpa's place! He's asked for some Studebakers, and the Champs turned up just in time in the local Wally Worlds. Want to get him one of the Avantis too but they've been very scarce here...

S.

Gary1953
12-24-2011, 05:36 PM
Didn't know there was a Hot Wheels C-cab...cool!! Will keep an eye out for it. There's certainly a whole series of 2R/3R trucks from the M2 outfit, which do tend to be pricey although they were available last year in Target stores stateside (we don't have Target here yet; they're in process of taking over the Zellers chain) at more modest prices.

My nephew is getting one of the yellow Champs tomorrow too...he recently found out about my old Hot Wheels trackage (in my parents' shed), and has now found a new use for his Hot Wheels when visiting Grandpa's place! He's asked for some Studebakers, and the Champs turned up just in time in the local Wally Worlds. Want to get him one of the Avantis too but they've been very scarce here...

S.
Hot Wheels does not make a C cab.
The company M2 makes at least 8 different C cabs plus two special chase trucks.
Check eBay for pictures. The trucks have been discussed here on the forum.

rockinhawk
12-24-2011, 05:36 PM

S. Maybe the C cab I saw was M2. I thought it was hot wheels but I'm getting old you know!

JRoberts
12-24-2011, 07:19 PM
I have two M2 C-cabs one is a white '50 with a plow on the front and the other a 3E ( I believe that's it) that is a junker (All rusty looking missing a door, etc.).
The first was a gift and the second I found at WallyWorld.