Studebaker: 100 Years on the Road Magazine quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker: 100 Years on the Road Magazine quote

Still enjoying the magazine, 100 years on the road, dated 1952. I was particularly taken by this quote on page 64:

This Studebaker story is in some respects a singular one, but in its broad effect it is perfectly typical of America, and American opportunity. The founding of a business with a working capital of $68, with equipment consisting of two sets of blacksmith tools, with the personnel of two working partners... the growth of that business to its present proportions. It could not possibly have happened except in the kind of free country we have had during the past century, and still have.

The success of the enterprise has in no way depended on the exercise of personal vantage by its owners or its managements, or upon paternalism by the state, or commercial monopoly, or sacrifice of liberty by its generations of personnel, or any other such influence; but rather on the basic influences of freedom and opportunity in a growing nation.

Again, this was written in 1952. Brilliance, nearly 60 years ago.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I did not even know this magazine existed. It's been a great read throughout. I cannot recommend it highly enough!
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Bob,
    Studebaker put out a lot of neat items such as that book of yours in 1952 to celebrate their 100 year Centennial. Many have become highly collectable amongst memorabilia collectors such as myself. I wrote a short illustrated article in the Feb 2011 Turning Wheels on a few of those items which may prove interesting to you.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK64 View Post
      Bob,
      Studebaker put out a lot of neat items such as that book of yours in 1952 to celebrate their 100 year Centennial. Many have become highly collectable amongst memorabilia collectors such as myself. I wrote a short illustrated article in the Feb 2011 Turning Wheels on a few of those items which may prove interesting to you.
      Like this plaster of paris plaque-

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Paul,
        There was one of those parts plaques just recently on Ebay with a high $300 reserve which did not attract a bid. Like yourself I do have one & they are quite nice.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          Still enjoying the magazine, 100 years on the road, dated 1952. <<<>>>Again, this was written in 1952. Brilliance, nearly 60 years ago. Until a couple of weeks ago, I did not even know this magazine existed. It's been a great read throughout. I cannot recommend it highly enough!
          Bob, if you found the "100 Years on the Road" magazine interesting, you and others may find the book "A Century On Wheels, the Story of Studebaker" by Stephen Longstreet also published in 1952 interesting as well. It surely must be the "companion" book to that magazine. In the acknowledgements Longstreet thanks Harold S. Vance for his personal interviews, opening up the company files and giving him the run of the South Bend plants, so at least he had access to some pretty good material looking from a 1952 perspective on back.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
            [COLOR="blue"]Bob, if you found the "100 Years on the Road" magazine interesting, you and others may find the book "A Century On Wheels, the Story of Studebaker" by Stephen Longstreet also published in 1952 interesting as well./COLOR]
            Is that the hardcover book? If it is, I bought that and read it a few years back; really enjoyed it! Don't have it handy, but I'd recognize the cover if I saw it.
            Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
              Is that the hardcover book?<<<>>>Don't have it handy, but I'd recognize the cover if I saw it.
              Apparently there were hard & soft cover editions, but this is what the cover looks like: http://tinyurl.com/c4z4fyz

BTW, are you coming to South Bend in 2012 to help us celebrate the 160th Studebaker Year???

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                Apparently there were hard & soft cover editions, but this is what the cover looks like: http://tinyurl.com/c4z4fyz
                Yep, that's the one I bought a few years back. Great read!

BTW, are you coming to South Bend in 2012 to help us celebrate the 160th Studebaker Year???

You bet! Barring anything unforseen I'll be there with my Oasis Green '60 Lark VI. Hope we can meet up, I want to see if you're as colorful as your posts!
                Proud NON-CASO

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Comment

And how about this taste of a '53 model on page 24?

John

Comment

What a cowinkidink, I just received a copy in very nice condition for Christmas. Am partway through and it is in fact a cool read with very interesting photos. Highly recommended.
                    Dean

CLEM

Comment

Working...
                    X