Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust: exhaust with chevy small block

Yes I know there are pipes available form Parks and other suppliers

Has anyone ever tried installing the rams horn manifolds upside down then running the exhaust up and out thru the inner fender the down the wheel well? Seems like this could be done with the big rams horns with big smooth bends and may look really cool.

It'll cost ya' some horsepower pushin' the exhaust up instead of down!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
      It'll cost ya' some horsepower pushin' the exhaust up instead of down!
      I figure it really doesn't matter, the exhaust could care less what direction it travels in. The only thing that I can see costing hp here would be any increase in flow restriction due to the number and radius of bends that such a system might have. There is a guy just north of town here that has a Furd powered 53 Commander coupe that has shorty headers that are mounted upside down and pointing towards the front of the engine (IIRC)...the oh and ahhh factor of gawkers at car shows more than offsets any loss of horsepower that the system may cause. Sorry don't have a photo, but I betcha if Craig P happens to read this post he could find a photo in his collection. Regards, Junior.
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

As a Chevy guy I can tell you if they will clear the valve covers it'll work. The Demo derby guys mount log-type manifolds upside down and bring the exhaust up through the hood. Post some pictures when you get it completed.
        1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
        1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
        Robert Rausch

Comment

What is (it) that your doing this to ?
          I thought for a while on something similar on a modified 52 2 door hard top that has a 50 bullet front, Still not out of the question but just seemed to radical.
          For me it was more just taking the easy way out after squeezing in a bbc. My exhaust still isnt done yet tho.

Would like to see pics of any cars done this way.

Dean.

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
            What is (it) that your doing this to ?
            I thought for a while on something similar on a modified 52 2 door hard top that has a 50 bullet front, Still not out of the question but just seemed to radical.
            For me it was more just taking the easy way out after squeezing in a bbc. My exhaust still isnt done yet tho.

Would like to see pics of any cars done this way.

Dean.
            Have you seen Michidan's web site?...52 hardtop, BBC and headers to boot. Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

upside down ram horns

the exhaust is for a 62 lark. Nothing real fancy, justa four door lark that I want to do a kind of trad rod/street rod thing with a chevy etc etc. I really kind of like the way it's turning out and should post some pics one of these days but its hard to get far enough away form the car to get a decent shot in the shop and its way toooooo cooooold to get it outside. Anyway the exhaust on these is known to be kind of a PITA and, being the ultimate CASO, I hate to pay the prices they want for the pipes and I like to be contrary and thought exhaust going up and out might be kind of different. Maybe big tractor stacks with rain flaps on?

Comment

Originally posted by rickhmn2 View Post
                the exhaust is for a 62 lark. Nothing real fancy, justa four door lark that I want to do a kind of trad rod/street rod thing with a chevy etc etc. I really kind of like the way it's turning out and should post some pics one of these days but its hard to get far enough away form the car to get a decent shot in the shop and its way toooooo cooooold to get it outside. Anyway the exhaust on these is known to be kind of a PITA and, being the ultimate CASO, I hate to pay the prices they want for the pipes and I like to be contrary and thought exhaust going up and out might be kind of different. Maybe big tractor stacks with rain flaps on?
                Fair enough but what are you going to use for mufflers? My 1962 Lark Y body with its Chevy 350 and Rams Horns is quite obnoxious and they face down (open), I plan to pay the $$$ and run the Parks setup.
                --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                  Have you seen Michidan's web site?...52 hardtop, BBC and headers to boot. Junior.
                  I have and it is amazing, I've used it at least a dozen times and one thing for sure he helped me out with is being sure the trunk lid aligned when welding in the sheetmetal in tubbing the rear.
                  Being my first time without him I'm sure I would have messed that up.
                  Just havn't got to the headers yet.
                  Sheetmetal is all welded back in and the body fits the frame with the new motor mounts and all, they were a real P.I.T.A. trying to keep my factory heater.

It truly is a wealth of info and I've also emailed back and fourth with him a few times and he is allways as nice as can be.

Dean.

Comment

mufflers

I have some great big chrome side steps from a pickup that I plan to use as the side pipes. I have some cherry bomb type muffler that fit inside the big chrome pipes. I am sure it will be loud, hopefully obnoxiously so. Let me know how the parks pipes fit. Not in the good bad sense but where the heck do they run and how? I want to run at least 2" pipe and I have about three inches between the mainifold flange and the steering box. I'll be home tomorrow and be able to take a look at the whole situation. I'll keep everyone posted. I'll have to read the tutorial again and try to get some pics of the craziness up if it works. Or I'll just find a 9 year old to post the pics:-)

Comment

upside down rams horns

conclusively proven that they do not fit. They are right in front of the sparkplug holes. Guess I have to find another way or break down and buy the pipes. Do the Parks pipes go in toward the block then down or out and run between the rail and the steering arm?

Comment

Originally posted by rickhmn2 View Post
                        conclusively proven that they do not fit. They are right in front of the sparkplug holes. Guess I have to find another way or break down and buy the pipes. Do the Parks pipes go in toward the block then down or out and run between the rail and the steering arm?
                        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...nfold-question.

Scroll down towards the bottom of the thread and there is a pic of a left (driver's) side Parks headpipe bolted to a Rams Horn.
                        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

thanks

hey thanks. I had seen that pic but got confused by the oil filter being over there and thought right when it clearly said left. That is a crazy looking pipe. I can see that it isn't just bent it's bent then cut and welded. I am surprised they make room for the nut to get on the stud. Maybe I ought to cut he stud on mine shorter. The bottom of the stud is presently lower than the top of the steering box. Begining to wonder if I somehow got some oddball rams horns that dump further down than typical. I only have about 3 1/4" to make the turn with a 2" pipe. seems almost impossible

Comment

so I sucked it up and ordered the parks pipe. They assure me this will be a good fit and clear everything. Of course in CASO fashion I only got the left side pipe that has been giving me fits. I sure hope this works.

Comment

parks pipe

So I broke down and bought the rks pipe for the left side and it does indeed make a total pita into a simple deal. They do know how to charge for that piece of pipe though.

Comment

Working...
                              X