PDA

View Full Version : Four Post Lift Holiday Sale (12/23/2011)

DEEPNHOCK
12-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Someone recently posted a question about a source for a 4 post lift for their Studebaker.

Here's a decent one that is on sale...today (Fri 12/23/2011) only for $1,399.00
Several people I know have this model, and like it a lot.

http://tinyurl.com/4-Post-Lift-1399-Today-Only

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/photos/SS7000-D-5T.jpg

woodysrods
12-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Wow.
What a great price?
Shipping,Shipping, Shipping???
Good Roads
Brian e

sweetolbob
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Someone recently posted a question about a source for a 4 post lift for their Studebaker.

Here's a decent one that is on sale...today (Fri 12/23/2011) only for $1,399.00
Several people I know have this model, and like it a lot.

http://tinyurl.com/4-Post-Lift-1399-Today-Only

http://www.americanautomotiveequipment.com/photos/SS7000-D-5T.jpg

I'll just add one thought to Jeff's post. For $200 more you can get the XLT model which lifts higher and is also longer which is what I ordered.

The extra lift, if you have the height to install it really helps. At 6'3" I don't need to bend to work over my head.

Woody, my shipping would have been $400 but you can get that right off the site. My lift has exactly the same specs but was delivered and installed for $500 by a local (Michigan) company. $100 over the delivery only price.

The one advantage I found of having it installed (other than not needing to throw around 400# metal ramps) was mine developed a leak in the hydraulic ram and the install folks sent a service tech back with a new ram and he installed it. It took him about two hours to remove the old one and install the new one and it was not a pretty operation. If I had installed the lift they would have sent me the ram but I'd have been the one using the salty language. However, I'll bet their price is not $1599 like the one in Jeff's post for the 8000XLT.

In any case, The only complaint I have is I didn't purchase one 30 years ago.

Bob

DEEPNHOCK
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Right there on their ad.......

Call for freight quote at 800-637-2884 ext 1

Wow.
What a great price?
Shipping,Shipping, Shipping???
Good Roads
Brian e

Mangusta1969
12-23-2011, 03:07 PM
They just quoted me $345 shipping cost (via motor freight) to zip code 89703 (Carson City, NV). That's a little more than I thought it would be from Texas, but this lift (with shipping) is still a great deal. You do need to have a big engine hoist, fork lift, or a Bobcat to get the lift off of the truck, as it will be too heavy for most truck lift gates. Otherwise, make arrangements to have the truck drop the lift off at a nearby business with a loading dock. Then you can disassemble the bundle and move the individual parts with a car trailer or an 8 foot long utility trailer to your assembly destination. Thanks for the post, DeepNHock!

DEEPNHOCK
12-23-2011, 05:04 PM
I picked mine up at the freight company loading dock.
They put it on the trailer with a forklift.
I took it off the trailer with a cherry picker and some casters.
Pat Skelly and I set it up in a few hours.
It went together easier than I thought, but we knew we had put it together when we were done...

They just quoted me $345 shipping cost (via motor freight) to zip code 89703 (Carson City, NV). That's a little more than I thought it would be from Texas, but this lift (with shipping) is still a great deal. You do need to have a big engine hoist, fork lift, or a Bobcat to get the lift off of the truck, as it will be too heavy for most truck lift gates. Otherwise, make arrangements to have the truck drop the lift off at a nearby business with a loading dock. Then you can disassemble the bundle and move the individual parts with a car trailer or an 8 foot long utility trailer to your assembly destination. Thanks for the post, DeepNHock!

58PackardWagon
12-23-2011, 07:56 PM
Very limited with its capabilites being that the wheels/brakes/etc are not workable while in the air. When I purchase on, it will not be a drive on unit verses a full lift to the frame.

DEEPNHOCK
12-23-2011, 08:02 PM
I agree that there is a place in a shop for a drive on (4 post) and a 2 post lift...if you have room and $$$.
I own both.
I can do a lot more with a 4 post in the long run. Including roll it around.
Your brake comment is without merit.
I can jack up all four wheels and tires, strip them, rebuild them (using the lift as a workbench), and put it all together a LOT easier on a 4 post drive on lift, than a 2 post lift.
Exhaust work...maybe..
It is a matter of preference, and taste.
If you really want a 2 post, I'll sell you my high end Nussbaum 2 post dirt cheap.
It's covered up out on the trailer, awaiting a new home.
Jeff:cool:

Very limited with its capabilites being that the wheels/brakes/etc are not workable while in the air. When I purchase on, it will not be a drive on unit verses a full lift to the frame.

sweetolbob
12-23-2011, 09:14 PM

All of what Jeff said in his post. Also remember that you can put a four post on a standard thickness concrete floor whereas the two-post requires a substantial base be poured.

The secret to brake work on the four post is the jacking trays that the ones being discussed include.

Not to downgrade two posts because most professional garages have them. But for the occasional user, the need to center the weight of the vehicle on the lift and the footings required make it a less than ideal option when I considered my purchase.

Bob

Pat Skelly
12-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I had mine picked-up by a roll back at the freight co. and slid off at my shop door ( $45.) Best money I ever spent, I wouldn't trade it off for 5 two posts.

kmac530
12-24-2011, 12:14 AM
If I had the room and the money I would own one of each....at least one.
But if I had to pick one OR the other I would pick a 2 post for sure. They are so versatile.
I totally see peoples opinions of doing brake jobs and stuff on a 4 post and the issues of weight centering on a 2 post...both have pros and cons.
I regularly use both at my friends shop and I prefer the 2 post. I have lifted bodies off of chassis and put them on a rotisserie by myself. Beds off of trucks.

My buddies 4 post has 2 of the sliding jack plates and he has 2 air jacks on each plate that slide left and right for almost infinite adjustability, which is a great option for a 4 post lift.

As long as you keep your arms spread out fairly wide {fore n aft} I have never had a problem with balance on a 2 post lift. Kind of a mute point in my opinion if you have even a tiny clue.

55s
12-24-2011, 08:36 AM
I bought a 4 poster about 5 years ago, after careful consideration, and there are several reasons.

(1) With possible sketchy frames, I feel safe under it. I have had heard stories of cars bending on two posters and falling down.
(2) I can move it around the shop with the castors - but I have not attempted it with a car on
(3) It is sturdier when you are applying force with any tools - like using a wheel puller
(4) With the jacking trays, I have the best of both worlds. I can lift the whole car up.