Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker engines in other cars or trucks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker engines in other cars or trucks?

Over the years I've grown quite fond of Studebaker engines and have toyed with the idea of using one in a Brand X project one day. Every car show you see a sea of Chevy engines put in any make or model you can think of. I'd love to turn the tables and drop a 289 Stude in a '67 Camaro! I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, but who's done it? What have you built/seen/dreamed about?

From a while back...
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

There is a guy some where around Savannah Ga. that has a deuce coupe Hot rod with a Studebaker V8 in it. He likes to sit back and watch as passers by try to figure out what kind of engine it is. I saw it at a car show awhile back and was trying to look at the motor #. He asked me if I knew what it was. I said "It's a Studebaker but I can't tell if it's a 259 or289" Needless to say he was surpized. While I was talking to him, my son walked up. Iasked him if he noticed the motor in that car. He glanced at it and said "259 or 289?"
      About that time my Grandson joined us and asked "Did you see the Studebaker engine in that Ford?

The owner said No one ever guesses what it is. Most people say either Y-Block Ford or Cadillac.
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Yes, a Studebaker V8 in a '67 Camaro would definitely be a novelty and would draw a crowd; the guys with the straightjacket and padded cell would be standing beside it looking for the builder, because the guy's obviously nuts and a danger to himself and society :>)

No, putting a Studebaker in anything else doesn't pass the engineering exam. The Studebaker V8 is one of the heaviest, widest OHV8 engines per cubic inch ever built. More weight and less horsepower are not usually the goals of an engine swap.

Maybe, decide what your goals are and approach the swap idea with eyes wide open. If questioned, just say, "I wanted a Stude, not another bellybutton." Your results may differ.

jack vines
        Last edited by PackardV8; 12-22-2011, 04:21 PM.
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Yes, a Studebaker V8 in a '67 Camaro would definitely be a novelty and would draw a crowd; the guys with the straightjacket and padded cell would be standing beside it looking for the builder, because the guy's obviously nuts and a danger to himself and society :>)

No, putting a Studebaker in anything else doesn't pass the engineering exam. The Studebaker V8 is one of the heaviest, widest OHV8 engines per cubic inch ever built. More weight and less horsepower are not usually the goals of an engine swap.

Maybe, decide what your goals are and approach the swap idea with eyes wide open. If questioned, just say, "I wanted a Stude, not another bellybutton." Your results may differ.

jack vines
          Yes, the Stude V8 is heavier then a cast iron SBC. Yes, it is wider, too. It is smaller then the 'Rat motors some Camaros came with, and I suspect a little lighter, though I am still researching this.

I'm not looking for ultimate performance, I don't need the most power per pound. I figure a purpose built engine set up more for mileage then lighting tires. I would want it to look and sound impressive, not interested in drag races.

This project may never get off the paper, and yes, the reason I want to use a Stude V8 is because I love those engines. I'm familiar with their quirks and find them reliable, tough and easy to work on.

I don't remember working on the one SBC I owned. Didn't have it that long before I gave it (and the truck it was in) to my father. Never had a desire to own another one.

Comment

Originally posted by mausersmth View Post
            Over the years I've grown quite fond of Studebaker engines and have toyed with the idea of using one in a Brand X project one day. Every car show you see a sea of Chevy engines put in any make or model you can think of. I'd love to turn the tables and drop a 289 Stude in a '67 Camaro! I'm sure I'm not the only one to think of this, but who's done it? What have you built/seen/dreamed about?
            Not directly relevant to your question, but I have seen Studebaker engines in other applications. Many years ago I was poking around in a small salvage yard looking for parts for my '54 Willys. I found a Willys with a Stude V-8 in it (don't remember which size). At the same time someone in the base auto hobby shop was putting a Studebaker V-8 in another make, but I don't remember what. Later, in Hawaii, my neighbor was putting a '59 Lark V-8 in his Willys Jeep pickup. I asked him why and his answer was the Studebaker V-8 was the toughest, longest lasting engine he could get.
            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              in Hawaii, my neighbor was putting a '59 Lark V-8 in his Willys Jeep pickup. I asked him why and his answer was the Studebaker V-8 was the toughest, longest lasting engine he could get.
              I rest my case.

Comment

The Stude V8 swap into a Willys was a fairly common upgrade. I remember my next door neighbor had a nice Willys wagon (the two tone gray) with one back in the early 60's. I think it was something about the BW trans used in the Willys that made it a fairly easy swap.

Here are a couple of recent examples...

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Studebaker V8 was a (fairly) common engine used in inboard boats in the 50's and 60's. I have seen a couple Studebaker V8 engine marine conversions sold on eBay in the last few years.

Comment

I've had my eye on an '86 Mustang coupe for just such a swap. Not for show or cruising so much, but for a light platform with lots of aftermarket support to build a Stude powered drag car. Brakes, suspension, fiberglass parts etc. makes these pretty economical to build. Using a well put together 289, a glide or TH350 and a small shot of nitrous it should run pretty good.

Probably won't do it though, that engine will just have to go in my '59 and if I really want to go drag racing again, I can just run my Lark or pull my Torino out of retirement. Besides, what class could I display it in at a Stude meet?
                    Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

Seems to me there was a 3/4 ton Dodge with a slide in camper at the national me in Austin Tx. 1998 with a Stude V8 in it. Also there was an old Willis Overland around here for awhile with a Stude overhead six. The owner came to me looking for parts once. I asked him to let me know if he ever wanted to sell, but it disappeared and I never heard from him.
                      Neil Thornton

Comment

Our hometown Studebaker dealer, Griggers Motors in Lyons, Ga. had on his used car lot a 1952 Chevy with a 56 Golden Hawk engine(ala Packard) back in 60's.. Talk about big and heavy!!

Comment

At one time I came fairly close to purchasing a 63 Split Window Corvette for the sole purpose of installing an R2 in it. When I told my Chevy friend about my intended project he went though the roof. He couldn't understand why I would ruin a Corvette that way. I reminded him that he was asking me where he could find a nice 53 HT so he could put a Chevy in it. I then asked him "what the hell is the difference in my potential project and his". He thought about it awhile and sorta understood just where I was coming from.

Comment

What about that '70 Corvette with the Champion Six that was posted here some time ago?

Not what I would've done, but..

Comment

One of the guys here in the North Carolina chapter told me his father had a Studebaker V-8 installed in his 1954 Kaiser Manhattan back in the '60s, which some may recall came with a McCullough supercharged Continental 226 flat-head six. It took only two days, practically a drop-in (he said) and was a huge improvement in all respects.

And Brook Steven's Excallibur (the early ones) had a R-2 engine and a Hawk frame. I guess it counts...

Russ Farris
                              Last edited by maxpower1954; 12-22-2011, 10:10 PM.
                              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
                              X