PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Folks must be the most honest people in the world..

Dougie
12-22-2011, 12:59 PM
I just placed my second order in the past 12 months today with Parks Pipes. It still amazes me that the way they run the business is to make and ship the parts and then they invoice you after it ships and ask you to send a check. I asked Ruth if she ever had any problems and she said only a few over the years, but overall it works just fine for them. Kinda restores my faith in humanity.

12-22-2011, 02:06 PM
I just placed my second order in the past 12 months today with Parks Pipes. It still amazes me that the way they run the business is to make and ship the parts and then they invoice you after it ships and ask you to send a check. I asked Ruth if she ever had any problems and she said only a few over the years, but overall it works just fine for them. Kinda restores my faith in humanity.
When he was still selling parts Ted Harbit used to operate the same way- parts went out, you sent him payment after you received them. I sent out an item to a supposedly Studebaker guy some years ago before he paid me (said he needed it by the weekend and was going to send me overnight funds). Last I ever heard from him.

Doug Bowen
12-22-2011, 02:15 PM
Back in the day (maybe 10 years ago!) I dealt with a gentleman who helped me pick out the engine rebuild parts I wanted for my 289. I had talked to him, a total stranger to me, 2 or 3 times until I finalized what I wanted to do and which parts I needed. It came out to a total of over $480, if I remember correctly. He didn't take credit cards, and he didn't want me to go to the trouble of getting a cashier's check. He simply sent me...a complete stranger from PA...a box of parts with an invoice in it. Unbelievable.

I knew then that this group of Studebaker folks was a different breed than the run-of-the-mill brand X parts vendors out there.

The guy was Ted Harbitt. A credit to the hobby.

Ted...if you read this...a big thank you. I just put the same engine in my new '64 Commander this spring. Runs like a banshee goin' across the moors!!

Great cars...great people.

Doug Bowen

Chris Pile
12-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Bill Fennessy does the same with his rubber door moldings... I was surprised.

BobPalma
12-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Ted...if you read this...a big thank you. I just put the same engine in my new '64 Commander this spring. Runs like a banshee goin' across the moors!! Doug Bowen

That's a new one on me, Doug; just how does a banshee run across the moors?

Uh....what are the moors, anyway? <GGG> BP

mrjazzmillcreek
12-22-2011, 02:29 PM
It is not just Studebaker people I bought an 05 Chrysler Crossfire from a Used Car Dealer in Quebec 900 miles away this past summer,he shipped the car before I had sent him a personal cheque and this was a large amount of money. There are still trusting people out there.

Doug Bowen
12-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Bob...Scotland's moors are basically wet bogs, I believe. Supposed to be really beautiful, but spookie. Good old Sherlock Holmes spent quite a bit of time tracking down the bad guys in the moors !!!

How many Studes are there in Scotland? Do we have a crew there?

ST2DE5
12-22-2011, 02:39 PM
When I wrecked my 49 truck this summer. Anne Goodman had a grille she said how much she wanted and then shipped it. I'm glad she trusted me and I still thank her for her trouble.

kmac530
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
While there are good and bad in everything...even here there could be a bad seed, I think this being a small community and pretty close knit gives people a better feeling and a sense of comfort.

Mr. Kabchef sent me good starter the same day he offered it to me and before I sent him a payment. The next day as I got home from taking the envelope to the post office, my package was already at my house and he even added a few other goodies in it for me....what a guy.
I think it is an odds thing. With MILLIONS of big 3 guys especially big 2 the odds on a there being bad seeds is very high, but with a group of only 20-30k people buying Stude parts, you have alot better odds that people are honest. I would say the vast majority of people buying something from a Stude supplier have been refered to them by past customers or even old friends. Definately takes out some sense of risk I think.

jclary
12-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Unfortunately, there have been some instances where certain members have run afoul of what would be honest behavior and decorum. But, it is rare.

One of the fondest memories I have of a great, honest Studebaker guy, is the late John Birchetto. (I hope I have the spelling right.) John was from Tennessee, and I would see him only once or twice a year. Any time I had him looking at one of my vehicles, I had to be careful what I said. The first time I mentioned that I would like to have some new decals for my air cleaner, climatizer, and oil filter...the next week, I get an envelope in the mail with everything I had mentioned along with a neatly hand written invoice. (Very fair and reasonable price.)

Several times I was surprised with a package from John from what I had considered an off-hand comment. I believe that if I had returned the items, John would have never complained. Of course, I never did. I gladly paid because he never sent me anything I didn't need.

What amazed me was that I didn't see John making notes or anything. He had a sharp mind and remembered. Just another grand old member of the SDC that I really miss.

BobPalma
12-22-2011, 02:54 PM
Bob...Scotland's moors are basically wet bogs, I believe. Supposed to be really beautiful, but spookie. Good old Sherlock Holmes spent quite a bit of time tracking down the bad guys in the moors !!!

How many Studes are there in Scotland? Do we have a crew there?

'Got it, Doug; thanks.

(I'll bet we have a lot of Studebakers in Scotland, since the Scottish are known for their thrift!) BP

comatus
12-22-2011, 03:36 PM
Although I dare not gainsay either the spookiness or the thrift of Scotland (and after all, we did name a model after them!), the scary moors of English lit are in "Wessex," the SW of England, mostly Devonshire. And the curious incident of the dog in the night-time was that the dog did nothing. Astounding? Elementary.

Now your banshees, those are probably an entirely Gaelic creature -- except for the one in South Dakota.

DEEPNHOCK
12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Then let the good Stude guy that 'borrowed' the door hinge locater drill and tap set that they 'borrowed' from JP a few years ago to return it.....
And the good Stude guy that 'borrowed' by first Professional Products aluminum intake and adapters to 'test and report back' to return them.
I'll turn the other cheek when that has been accomplished...
Jeff:cool:

whacker
12-22-2011, 09:01 PM
A Banshee is pretty much an Irish legend. The 5 great families of Ireland are said to have a banshee attached to them, usually appearing as an old woman, sometime as a beautiful girl, sometimes as a weasel or rabbit. The banshee is said to wail outside the home of a family member soon to die. Legend has it that for the five great Gaelic families — the O'Gradys, the O'Neills, the O'Briens, the O'Connors, and the Kavanaghs — the banshee appears even if the death will occur at a long distance from the home, thus serving as a warning.

rockne10
12-22-2011, 09:29 PM
As a kid, the banshee in "Darby O'Gill and the Little People" terrified me. Haven't revisited that movie in fifty-two years; one of Sean Connery's early films. A few years before Felix Leiter entertained him with his Studillac.

candbstudebakers
12-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I think a "Banshee" is a Navy fighter jet.

Doug Bowen
12-22-2011, 10:15 PM
12892 Here is ANOTHER kind of Banshee. Nice critter.

studebaker-R2-4-me
12-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Then let the good Stude guy that 'borrowed' the door hinge locater drill and tap set that they 'borrowed' from JP a few years ago to return it.....
And the good Stude guy that 'borrowed' by first Professional Products aluminum intake and adapters to 'test and report back' to return them.
I'll turn the other cheek when that has been accomplished...
Jeff:cool:

I know the feeling too well, it sure can tarnish one's feelings when you've been ripped off, but my experience within this community has been pretty positive overall. JDP shipped a car to me before he got the cheque, a first for him he said,...

I feel a lot more comfortable dealing with a Stude guy due to the tight knit community. Seems everyone knows someone.

Allen

Skip Lackie
12-23-2011, 04:46 PM
Some are not only honest, but they assume others will be equally honest. About 20 years ago I ran a for sale ad for a Corvette. A guy in Regina, Sask called me and asked some questions about the car. He said he'd get back to me if he was still interested in the car. Two days later, a certified check for the full amount in US dollars arrived in the mail. I got his number from information and called him and reminded him that I had (1) the car, (2) the title, and (3) his money. Wouldn't he feel better if I signed the title and mailed it to him? He said don't bother -- he'd pick it up when he came down for the car, and would I mind keeping it for another month or two until spring? He did in fact finally show up the following May and drove back to Regina with no problems. But he set a new record for trust in people they've never met.

jallen
12-24-2011, 01:37 AM
I didn't see Stude Rich in your list of vendors, he sent me the items I needed after a forum pm, and I'm sure I had the parts before he had my check.