PDA

View Full Version : EBay Avanti

jlmccuan
12-21-2011, 02:15 PM
I normally don't make mention of Ebay ads which contain incorrect info, but this is so obviously misrepresented.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Studebaker-2-door-coupe-Avanti-1964-Studebaker-Avanti-/280793957449?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item41609fc449

Sent a note earlier about the AC not being available with supercharged engines. This car was built in early 1963 as evidenced by the hood support being on the left side and the lack of second cowl vent, although it could have been registered as a 1964. Seats are vinyl, not leather. Windows are obviously not power. Not a tilt wheel steering column and cruise control was not available. This also has the painted insert interior not the faux wood tenite panels. No luggage rack from Studebaker and pics don't show an aftermarket one. The radio in the dash is AM only. Is there another somewhere not pictured?

Come on people, $18,000 and more than half the options listed aren't even present?

plwindish
12-21-2011, 02:59 PM
I like the statement that a "little-more work" needed to have the full refurbishing completed. That garage kept vehicle must have been a dog house from the looks of the interior. It looks like the well meaning lister is not familiar with Avanti's. The car looks to be a serious "project". 18 K would be very wishful thinking on the owner's part.

starliner62
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
That's what I am looking for, a nice project car. Now about the price..... I think $18,000 would buy me a real nice driver.

JBOYLE
12-21-2011, 04:04 PM
I think $18,000 would buy me a real nice driver.

You bet.
I paid less than that for mine and it was a real nice driver (a good 5 footer for paint). Mechanically, it was sound...but leaky

studegary
12-21-2011, 04:16 PM
The lister has said that he has only seen pictures of the car that he is selling for someone else. He has corrected some of the items that he was told about, for example: he now says that it is a 1963.
Now to the price - the listing does let you "Make an Offer".

PackardV8
12-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Now to the price - the listing does let you "Make an Offer". All too often when the seller starts out expecting $18,000, he'll get mad at the first potential buyers who make realistic offers, "You Stude people are a bunch of damn low-ballers trying to steal my car!"

I went through exactly that, being verbally berated by the seller. Two months later, after gradually coming down on price, he sold the car for less than I had offered.

jack vines

candbstudebakers
12-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Nothing said about it running, driving, stopping all things that one would expect to work for $18,000 this thing will be lucky to get a bid if it clears $7500.00 I will be surprised.

billmdonn
12-21-2011, 10:08 PM
This Avanti is extreme with regard to price, but watching the Studebakers on EBAY it seems that most sellers have an inflated opinion of what their car is worth. The vast majority never reach the reserve and some don't even get a bid.