Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any woodsmen out there? How about this...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any woodsmen out there? How about this...

Is this a factory plane used to make wagons & wooden car parts?

64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I can't imagine Studebaker was buying new woodworking tools in the '30s. They certainly should have had all they needed from 30 years before.

Its a popular tool, the price is probably 2X, IMHO.

Comment

Stanley made hundreds of thousands of #45 combination planes. In the pre-powered shaper, pre-electric router days, they were used to make moldings of all kinds. The one in the auction is exceptionally complete, with the original box and dirty paper. The only oddity is the Studebaker tag.

My bottom line - could have been used at the factory, but unlikely. Back in the day, that plane was something an individual craftsman would have used. Wood in the quantities needed by Studebaker for wagons or early car bodies would have been shaped by power tools, even if driven by a line shaft and steam engine.

I haven't priced #45s lately, but in the past I've paid more like $250 than $2500. It will be interesting to watch, but without more proof of Studebaker provenance, it's just another Stanley plane.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

That equipment tag is authentic. Don't forget too, that Studebaker had a pattern shop and would have used stuff like this.
        Chris Dresbach

Comment

"That equipment tag is authentic."

Yep. And a piece of a piece of dinosaur fossil dropped in the box would also be authentic.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
            That equipment tag is authentic. Don't forget too, that Studebaker had a pattern shop and would have used stuff like this.
            Indeed! Picture that wooden 2R5 body buck that's in the SNM being formed with that tool.

Craig

Comment

Hi,

Woodworking is a hobby of mine,

It's a molding plane. What they used before routers and molding blades for saws were invented. Certainly a nice piece for a woodworker's collection, and it's entirely possible that it might have once been used in the Studebaker pattern maker's's shop because it's located in South Bend. However, I bet the flea markets around South Bend are full of bits and pieces of stuff from that old plant. I wouldn't attach any specific significance to the plane with the tag as a piece of Studebaker memorabilia unless it can be proven that it actually was used in that shop.

Mike O'Handley
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com
              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
              Kenmore, Washington
              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
              '69 Pontiac Firebird
              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

That woodsman tag made me look. I thought you were looking for a hunter or outdoors man of some sort.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by hausdok View Post
                  Hi,

Woodworking is a hobby of mine,

It's a molding plane. What they used before routers and molding blades for saws were invented. Certainly a nice piece for a woodworker's collection, and it's entirely possible that it might have once been used in the Studebaker pattern maker's's shop because it's located in South Bend. However, I bet the flea markets around South Bend are full of bits and pieces of stuff from that old plant. I wouldn't attach any specific significance to the plane with the tag as a piece of Studebaker memorabilia unless it can be proven that it actually was used in that shop.

Mike O'Handley
                  Kenmore, Washington
                  hausdok@msn.com
                  Believe it or not, stuff like that from the plant is dried up. The stuff that was for sale is long gone; either sold, scrapped, or in a personal collection somewhere. I have a few things I've picked up, but you can't just walk into a flea market or pawn shop and find a 1/2" wrench with SP on it anymore.

To add to this a little more, Studebaker didn't alyaws put equipment tags on stuff they used. I have a few things in my personal collection that I know for a fact were used in the plant, but you would never know it.
                  Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                    That woodsman tag made me look. I thought you were looking for a hunter or outdoors man of some sort.

Me too! Someone who works with wood is a woodworker in my vocabulary.
                    While I'm not a woodsman, I did graduate from the 21-day survival course "offered" by Air Force Survival School and conducted in the Selkirk Mountains just south of the Canadian border....I used to lecture on the subject. I'm not an expert, but I played one on TV.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                      Me too! Someone who works with wood is a woodworker in my vocabulary.
                      Those wooden forms they used to form the sheet metal over would have to be very precise; especially when they were used in building a working, prototype vehicle. It would have taken a skilled craftsman in woodwork to sculpture the wood which end up as compound curves in the sheet metal panel. So yes, those who were on this project in the styling studio were skilled woodworkers for sure.

From the famous 1946 Life magazine article on the 1947 Studebakers:

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 12-22-2011, 06:17 AM.

Comment

I too thought it was about fishing, hunting, camping or some other outdooorsmans activity. Would have never guessed it was about a $2500.oo wood plane. Neat pice of history and a cool tool but wow do I have alot better things to do with 2.5k.

Comment

Making $120.00 per week and wearing a shirt and tie to work in a woodshop. Those were the good old days.

Comment

Here's a buck out of my collection. I have another bigger one, but I think this is the more interesting of the two.

This one pictured is also made of mahogany, and it is extremely heavy. The other buck I have I believe is also mahogany or some kind of hard wood, it's Avanti related.
                            To add to this even further about skilled craftsmanship by the pattern makers, these bucks had to be made within 1/100 to 1/150th of an inch of what the blueprint called for. No pressure.
                            Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 12-23-2011, 10:28 AM.
                            Chris Dresbach

Comment

My 1928 Studebaker had a lot of wood in the body under the sheet metal.

Comment

Working...
                              X