Best gear shifter for a TH350 in a 1962 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: Best gear shifter for a TH350 in a 1962 Lark

Question: is there any way for me to run a column shift setup using a Stude steering column in my 1962 or will I need to 'bite the bullet' and go with a Lokar or similar floor shifter? Car was a 3spd/OD and I now have a TH350.
    --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

I used a PowerShift setup in my '63 with a Chevy and a TH350

My car was a 4 speed car, however, so it had a bare column.

A PowerShift has the same quadrant as a TH350 and using one of these...

Kugel shift arm kit

...you can insure that the detents on the trans line up with the letters/numbers on the quadrant.

You could use the same Kugel device with a stock Stude automatic column. The only problem would be the letters/numbers on the column wouldn't match the P R N D 2 1 trans detents. I think Jeff H. has found a replacement for the Stude quadrant that will match. I just don't know what car it came out of.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

The shifter lens with the letters (and the chrome bezel too) from a early Jeep Wagoneer will fit in any late Stude that uses the chrome bezel. Actually, the bezel will also fit the columns on earlier cars back to '53 as well.

Here is the Jeep part next to one from a Lark.

You need to find a older Wagoneer with column AT. I think '72 is the last year they used the same steering column upper parts as Studebaker. The '73 and later ones are completely different.

This is a '72 dash and steering wheel:

Problem is these are really hard to find, at least in MN and ND. Those wagoneers rusted out and were run into the ground long ago.

Jeff in ND

Comment

I used Kugel Componets kit on the 4L80E in my Speedster. Kept the shifter on the column. Lots of adjustments, and few modifications.
        Klif
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Does anyone have/make the pieces to modify the floor shifter to work with a 2004R four speed automatic and make it look original?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
            I used a PowerShift setup in my '63 with a Chevy and a TH350

My car was a 4 speed car, however, so it had a bare column.

A PowerShift has the same quadrant as a TH350 and using one of these...

Kugel shift arm kit

...you can insure that the detents on the trans line up with the letters/numbers on the quadrant.

You could use the same Kugel device with a stock Stude automatic column. The only problem would be the letters/numbers on the column wouldn't match the P R N D 2 1 trans detents. I think Jeff H. has found a replacement for the Stude quadrant that will match. I just don't know what car it came out of.
            Sure like the dash and door panels in the 63, I bet they cost you a pretty penny? sure wish I had some for my 64 that nice.
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
              Sure like the dash and door panels in the 63, I bet they cost you a pretty penny? sure wish I had some for my 64 that nice.
              Plenty of other parts in that car from you also, Bob.

I'll be down after Christmas. Your turn to buy lunch?
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Baker54 View Post
                Does anyone have/make the pieces to modify the floor shifter to work with a 2004R four speed automatic and make it look original?
                Baker54

If your question is to make the shifter in Dick S's car work with a 700R4/200R4 then I may have a solution.

Those shifters were also used in the Avanti and Avanti II's and the later II's came with 700/200 transmissions. The only difference I can see is the transparent shift indicator plate to show the gear selected. Those plates should be available from Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Mi the large Avanti parts operation.

I have a spare shifter from a 700R4 Avanti II if you need a picture or other info.

Bob
                Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-21-2011, 07:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                  Baker54

If your question is to make the shifter in Dick S's car work with a 700R4/200R4 then I may have a solution.

Those shifters were also used in the Avanti and Avanti II's and the later II's came with 700/200 transmissions. The only difference I can see is the transparent shift indicator plate to show the gear selected. Those plates should be available from Nostalgic Motors in Wixom, Mi the large Avanti parts operation.

I have a spare shifter if you need a picture or other info.

Bob
                  The shifters for Avanti II's that were factory equipped with overdrive transmissions are different from the previous shifters, even though they appear the same. The whole quadrant needs to be swapped as the dial indicator has a tongue and groove on one end and single screw holding it down on the other end. The original design uses two hold down screws so the assemblies are not interchangeable. You can use the original shifter but it won't line up with the new detents for the overdrive transmission. It's best to swap out all parts...Nostalgic carries them.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                    Plenty of other parts in that car from you also, Bob.

I'll be down after Christmas. Your turn to buy lunch?
                    Just call me and let me know.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Thanks for the information on the shifters. I don't have a shifter and I wanted to achieve an original look so I will contact Nostalgic Motors and see what they have. Thanks again. Larry

Comment

For what it's worth I used a mid 90's Camaro shifter and a mid to late 80's Cadillac console (cut down 2") with my 700R4. While not "Studebaker," it comes close to the time period considering these parts are 20-30 years newer. I really didn't want a swoopy, plastic formed console festooned with cup holders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0617130932.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1687381
                        '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                        X