James Maloney's Studebaker Memories in Feb HCC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Maloney's Studebaker Memories in Feb HCC

There's an unusually good read in the February 2012 Hemmings Classic Car: James Maloney's recollections of working from a Studebaker family in South Bend and himself working several positions within Studebaker's South Bend plant from 1948-1953.

James created the 1953 Commander convertible featured in the August 2006 Hemmings Classic Car. A nice photo of it accompanies James' report. A good read all around.

Congrats, James. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

I saw that article and I agree with you. One of the things I love about Hemmings Classic Car magazine is the amount of print they devote to the independent auto makers, including our beloved Studebakers. Among the first things I read, when I get my monthly issues, is Pat Foster's column.
    Rog
    '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
    Smithtown,NY
    Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by raprice View Post
      I saw that article and I agree with you. One of the things I love about Hemmings Classic Car magazine is the amount of print they devote to the independent auto makers, including our beloved Studebakers. Among the first things I read, when I get my monthly issues, is Pat Foster's column. Rog
      In that case, Rog, you're gonna' like the March 2012 issue! <GGG> BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I also enjoyed the article on pages 84-85 about a young boys mother trying to learn to drive in a 1941 Commander (back in the late 40s). There are at least two factual errors that any Studebaker expert will pick out readily. Did you?
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          I also enjoyed the article on pages 84-85 about a young boys mother trying to learn to drive in a 1941 Commander (back in the late 40s). There are at least two factual errors that any Studebaker expert will pick out readily. Did you?
          Well:

1. The 1941 Commander is described as having the two-tone stripe on the side, and a green top, which would make it a Custom or Delux-tone. However, the period photo of the car appears to be a Skyway model with only a second-color roof; no "side spear" in the second color. (I'm sure Dick will be able to add further details about that discrepancy.)

2. The alleged 1951 Starlight Coupe is clearly a 1952 model; the hooded taillamp body is easily seen in the period photo. BP

Comment

Very good Bob. I will give you a B on your observations but one more glaring error exists.
            Richard Quinn

Comment

Very good Bob. I will give you a B on your observations but one more glaring error exists.
              Ah-ha! It's in the text: The writer's statement that their 1941 Commander was a straight eight. All 1941 Commanders were sixes.

Do I get the POOP (Prize Of Outrageous Proportions) now? BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                Ah-ha! It's in the text: The writer's statement that their 1941 Commander was a straight eight. All 1941 Commanders were sixes.

Do I get the POOP (Prize Of Outrageous Proportions) now? BP
                Indeed you do!! No one deserves POOP more than you.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

Indeed you do!! No one deserves POOP more than you.
                  O'boy! I'll be watching for Santa! BP

Comment

Working...
                  X