Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker Brochure Errors; of which ones are you aware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Brochure Errors; of which ones are you aware?

The only "way" a vehicle manufacturer can have press release photos and showroom brochures available on introduction day is to generally use photographs of pre-production and protoype cars, or line art, to depict the new models. Understandably, this results in legitimate errors going to print; cars not equipped exactly like the bulk of production, showing options not available, etc.

Studebaker had its share of such errors through the years, so how about citing some of those and see what shakes out?

For starters: The large 1959 full line Studebaker brochure #PD9012. On the rear cover is a spray of all the 1959 models, including the Hawk. The spray clearly shows a Tahiti Coral Lark Regal sedan having a white roof:

This implies that ordinary two-tone colors were a legitimate 1959 Lark option, which they were not.

There are many more out there. (This thread will be a good brain-teaser for us old timers, and informative for newbies.)

This ought to be a "fun" thread. (Don't feel bad if you can't cite a brochure number or post a picture. With this group, if your memory is hazy and someone has the appropriate brochure to cite a correction, you can be sure that will happen, too! <GGG>)

'Have at it. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-20-2011, 07:06 AM. Reason: add caveat regarding numbers and photos
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The '63 brochure I believe is accurate, but the '63 showroom album is one of the sloppiest efforts I can remember seeing...Regal showing Custom side trim, Custom showing Regal side trim, mention of bucket seats standard on Daytona, Custom trim on a Wagonaire (available in Canada, I know), and a 'truck section coming' mention that never happened.

There's also a competitive brochure (perhaps, fleet) for '63 where the line drawing of the Lark instrument panel is upside down in the brochure!
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
      This ought to be a fun topic.

The only "way" a vehicle manufacturer can have press release photos and showroom brochures available on introduction day is to generally use photographs of pre-production and protoype cars, or line art, to depict the new models. Understandably, this results in legitimate errors going to print; cars not equipped exactly like the bulk of production, showing options not available, etc.
      Engine colors come to mind! How many times have we seen a PURPLE starter on a real engine? In many of those brochures, the engines are much more colorful than they actually were!

Of course, the 1965 brochure has a few oddities, such as a silver mylar strip on the center console of the Daytona interior illustrated there, and the rear cover of the green car has several non-production trim pieces on it. And as we just mentioned, the lone 1966 Daytona with the V8 emblems on the C-pillar.

Craig

Comment

Studebaler-Packard Corporation reserves the right to change specifications, designs or prices without notice and without incurring obilgation. Information contained herein is from data available when final approval for printing was given. This
        is the last sentence in the 57 Packard brochure. I think this leaves it pretty wide open on the finial product. I've been bittin by this on the purches of new motorcycles.
        Klif
        55 Speedster/Street Machine
        63 Avanti R2
        64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
          The '63 brochure I believe is accurate, but the '63 showroom album is one of the sloppiest efforts I can remember seeing...Regal showing Custom side trim, Custom showing Regal side trim, mention of bucket seats standard on Daytona, Custom trim on a Wagonaire (available in Canada, I know), and a 'truck section coming' mention that never happened.
          Uh-oh, Bill. There's a blatant error in both the small and large versions of the 1963 full-line brochure that's been properly cited here on the forum within the last two weeks.

(By the time I've got this posted, I bet someone posts what it is. <GGG>) BP
          Last edited by BobPalma; 12-20-2011, 07:05 AM.
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Engine colors come to mind! How many times have we seen a PURPLE starter on a real engine? In many of those brochures, the engines are much more colorful than they actually were! Craig
            Good one, Craig.

Wouldn't it be funny if someone showed up at a national meet with a purple starter and used the brochure to argue with the judges against an authenticity deduction? <GGG> BP

Comment

Also as discussed a few weeks ago , the 1966 brochure shows a 66 green Daytona with the flag emblem on the rear roof line, as well as on the company post cards.
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

The 1960 Lark Marshal brochure #PD6027 doesn't list a 289 as an engine option. Not sure if it's because of an early printing or just that they never 'officially' considered it an option. If the latter is true, then I guess I've got a COPO Lark.......Barrett Jackson, here I come!
                Skinny___'59 Lark VIII Regal____'60 Lark Marshal___

Comment

I think the 1964 brochures show the Hawks without the hood ornament.

Comment

How about this Avanti ad...it appears to have one round headlight bezel and one rectangular one. Whether that's merely from the perspective due to the angle, bad retouching by whomever made the ad it still looks like it should have been caught early on before publishing. It is correct in the second photo.

Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Now thats a error...someone should of lost their job for that one !
                      sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

OK Bob's mention of the VERY blatant error we just talked about here a few days ago was those ugly White '63 Lark Wheel Covers shown on a '63 hawk.
                        People did say that they have seen several original cars that "got out" with them on, but they never were intended to be there.

The really obvious one I remember, is the special introductory brochure for the NEW '62 GT Hawk, with the Black car on the cover with the Prototype Grille Shell with "Studebaker" stamped in it.
                        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                          [B][COLOR=blue]The really obvious one I remember, is the special introductory brochure for the NEW '62 GT Hawk, with the Black car on the cover with the Prototype Grille Shell with "Studebaker" stamped in it.
                          Rich: How about the early 1962 Hawk promo photos with the "wrong" parking lights on the front? BP

Comment

The 65 brochure shows a wide chrome strip on a bucket seat console and one of the cars has an unusual (and unused) hood ornament.
                            Scott Rodgers
                            Los Angeles
                            SDC Member since 1989
                            \'60 Lark HT
                            \'63 Wagonaire
                            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Way back when I actually saw a '65 Daytona Sport Sedan that had a shiny Mylar band on the console lid. I have seen plenty of '65 Daytonas since I haven't seen another one with the band.

Comment

Working...
                              X