PDA

View Full Version : More Scams

wolfie
12-19-2011, 02:59 PM
I am sure most here are aware of the current scam with an E-mail from a known contact saying your friend has been the victim of a crime overseas and needs money to return home. I received one supposedly from James Eagle over the weekend. I had last spoken to James Eagle via E-mail something near 5 years ago RE: a car he was selling at that time. This was the ONLY time I am aware of I have had any communication with him. I did not try to contact him in reference to this e-mail since I do not consider Mr Eagle to be more than a passing aquaintance who probably has no idea who I even am and I certainly would not expect him to contact me in a time of need. He is however a Stude guy as far as I know (I have seen ads from him on Stude swap) and others here may know him well enough to be willing to help him so I thought I would share. Watch out, thieves are everywhere these days. Steve
Email I received

Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency and for not informing you about my urgent trip to* London,United Kingdom but I just have to let you know my present predicament. Everything was fine until I was attacked on my way back to the hotel, I wasn't hurt but I lost my money, bank cards, mobile phone and my bag in the course of
this attack. I* immediately contacted my bank in order to block my cards and also made a report at the nearest police station. I've been to* the embassy and they are helping me with my documentation so i can fly out but I'm urgently in need of some money to pay* for my hotel bills and my flight ticket home, promise to REFUND you as soon as am back home

Kindly let me know if you would be able to help me out so I can forward you the details required for the wire transfer to me. waiting to hear back from you..

Thanks

James..

ozarkman
12-19-2011, 04:01 PM
yeah, I got that same message from a friend of mine a few years back...she worked in the cube behind me, so I said over the cube wall, how's that trip to London going? She was surprised by my question, so I showed her the email. It came from her hotmail account. It had been hacked, and they deleted all her sent/received mail, and all her contacts after send that message to her entire contact list. The return address on the email was to another account and not her hotmail.

starliner62
12-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Joe Roberts call James and verified that this was a hoax. Its pretty cool to see how we look after each other here. Now on the other hand, I got beat up by a Studebaker today. Anyone want to send donations to make me feel better????

Corvanti
12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Joe Roberts call James and verified that this was a hoax. Its pretty cool to see how we look after each other here. Now on the other hand, I got beat up by a Studebaker today. Anyone want to send donations to make me feel better????

i got email from joe r. about this scam - thanks joe!!!:D

i've also had a stude problem the last few months... i don't have one!!! :)

if anyone wants to "donate" a driver '51 stude with a v8 and auto trans (my "fake" knee doesn't like clutches), i'd be more than happy to accept. :rolleyes:
bonus for installed vintage a/c... :p

in case someone missed it, i'm joking. not that i'd turn down a "donation"...

41 Frank
12-19-2011, 07:30 PM
I received one of those scam e-mails a couple of years ago. It was from an SDC member I knew casually,but I thought it smelled bad, so ignored it. It used the same line about being stuck in the UK. You would think that by now they would use a different country. He eventually contacted everyone in his address list that he had been hacked.

JRoberts
12-20-2011, 10:20 AM
I got an email from another chapter member who had recently received the same email from a member of another car club somewhere in Virginia. These things stink, but I guess all we can do is to watch out for each other.

JBOYLE
12-20-2011, 12:31 PM
I wouldn't send money to a relative overseas....let alone some SDC member I only vaguely know through the forum. Sorry guys, you're on your own. :) :) :)

But if you're ever really stuck in London, I have loads of family there who would help your out. :)

And of course the correct answer is...the Embassy (and your credit card company) will help you get home.