PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker Truck History

Skip Lackie
12-19-2011, 11:36 AM
The SDC website now has a link to a new history of Studebaker trucks and an associated list of Stude truck models on the main tech tips page:
http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/techtips.asp
Several years ago, I committed to writing such a history for submission to Wikipedia – but the effort seems to have outgrown that requirement. I’m not sure Wikipedia is interested in devoting more memory space to a description of one of a minor car builder’s more obscure products than they do to the entry for George Washington.

Anyway, it is available for review, and comments are welcome. It was intended to provide an overview of Stude truck models and production – and answer the kind of questions new Stude truck owners might ask. It will NOT provide a whole lot of new information for long-time Stude truck owners. The introduction to the history outlines both what it tries to include, and very specifically what it does not.

Additional appendices are planned: (1) a listing of which issues of TW contained articles on which truck models; an (2) the locations and contents of Stude truck serial number and body plates, and how to decode the info thereon. The inclusion of some photos in the history would also be useful (although the Studebakerparts.com site already includes many excellent truck photos). To that end, anyone having a good photo of an authentic-looking Stude truck is welcome to send it to me for possible inclusion. (Note: I am not an authenticity freak, but I believe that a history designed to educate new or potential truck owners ought to portray the vehicles more or less the way they did when they came from the factory. So no pictures of obviously modified trucks, please.) If sending a photo, please include a statement that you are granting permission to include the photo in this truck history. I intend to include a few B&W factory pictures of some of the prototypes mentioned in the text, so older, B&W photos are acceptable.

Comments and corrections to both the history and the appendix are also welcome, though I suggest that they be restricted to substantive issues, at least for now. In reviewing the material this morning, I have already detected a couple of typos and other errors that were in the material that I submitted to SDC Webmaster Bob Shaw. And there are a couple of minor problems with font size. I will work with Bob and/or his successor, Mark Wheeler, to sort these out. Bob has devoted a lot of attention to getting these packages of info up and running, and I don’t intend to burden him with a bunch of minor corrections during his last weeks on the job. So no hurry on submitting inputs -- I won’t be doing any significant editing of these two docs until after January 1, 2012.

Many thanks to Bob Shaw for doing such a great job reformatting this material for the SDC website.

Those interested in the military trucks that Stude built for the US Army will see that some of their data blocks in the appendix are blank. I just haven’t had time to go back and review all the articles by Clell Ballard and Fred Fox on these trucks, so data on them are hereby specifically solicited. Filling in these blanks has been on my to-do list for a while, along with constructing the additional appendices, but sometimes life intervenes, despite the best of intentions.

Rather than fill up the PM system with corrections and photos, please send all contributions related to this effort to lackie at erols dot com. Put “truck history” in the subject line. Thanks.

Dick Steinkamp
12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Well done!

Thanks, Skip.

The fact that all this info has not been in one place until today attests to the magnitude of the task.

Much appreciated.

12-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Wow! I knew you were working on this, but...wow!
I wouldn't know if there were factual errors, but it's a great read.
I didn't realize that there were so few Marine trucks built in '63. I remember seeing one in Honolulu in late '64/early '65. Two Marines were driving along, no load, when they hit a bump and one of the side racks (?) bounced off on to the street. The Marines were oblivious of the loss and kept on going. I always wondered how much trouble they got in to.

Mark57
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks Skip! :cool::)

64V-K7
12-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Another historical focal point...Excellent job!!! Thank you