Custom or modified?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom or modified?

What's the difference between custom and modified? Are they the same thing?

Jeb

I think a lot of people see them the same. I kinda look at body modifications being an example of a custom. Then maybe anything as simple as a change of brakes from drum to disc, or even engine and driveline, being modified. This is JUST me.

Comment

Custom: different than came from the factory.
      Modified: different than came from the factory.
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have been to Studebaker meets that had Stock, Modified and Custom classes.

Comment

I've heard it both ways but I don't see the difference. Someone must have a definition because of meets with both classes.

Comment

As it relates to SDC JUDGING:

The MODIFIED class is for cars with modifications, including NON STUDEBAKER POWER.

The CUSTOM class is for cars with modifications, but that are still STUDEBAKER POWERED.

Beyond that, I think of modified as mechanical changes, while custom, to me, involves more of body/interior enhancement.

Therefore, my car would be a modified custom. <GGG>

Clear as mud, but it covers the ground.
            Last edited by Studedude; 12-18-2011, 04:15 PM.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Back in 1984 I put my 51 in the Tulsa meet and I had changed the electrics from a 1957 Studebaker on to my 51 and they put me in modified class.

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
                As it relates to SDC JUDGING:

The MODIFIED class is for cars with modifications, including NON STUDEBAKER POWER

The CUSTOM class is for cars with modifications, but that are still STUDEBAKER POWERED.
                Actually, they changed that recently. Now...

Division 8: Non-Stock, Studebaker Powered

All Vehicles and Trucks (Custom/Modified), All years

Division 9: Non-Stock, Non-Studebaker Powered

All Vehicles and Trucks (Custom/Modified), All years

That still leaves the question...What is custom and what is modified?

(I have no clue)
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Dave. That means my son's 51 Land Cruiser is a modified custom (built by Jerry Wier).

Comment

What ever it is they are not Judging mine. I just go to look and talk. And maybe find something I don't really need.

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Dick. It's hard to keep up with these things.

I apologize for giving outdated information.

Carl-

I have been to several zone meets, and have found that SDC judging rules are very seldom followed.
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

So my somewhat close to original Champion, with the Lark engine and brakes, competes with the customized hot rod with a souped up a stude V8?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                          That still leaves the question...What is custom and what is modified?

(I have no clue)
                          I know of only one person in the entire universe that would know the one and only correct answer to that question, so don't feel too bad.
                          Last edited by Studedude; 12-18-2011, 05:30 PM.
                          sigpic
                          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Jeb View Post
                            So my somewhat close to original Champion, with the Lark engine and brakes, competes with the customized hot rod with a souped up a stude V8?
                            Yes...but keep in mind that Division 8 and 9 vehicles are judged SOLELY on CONDITION. You start with 400 condition points and you loose points for any flaws as outlined on the judging sheet...

Division 8 and 9 Judging Sheet

This means that a lime green 4 door Lark with an orange velour interior and a six/automatic can win a first place trophy if it doesn't loose more than 25 condition points per the judging sheet.

Also keep in mind this from the judging manual...

"In the Non-Stock Divisions 8 & 9 (Custom/Modified), are NOT judged by the same standards as Stock Divisions 1 to 7 (Original/Restored). Custom/Modified vehicles are judged to a higher level. Custom/Modified paint should be level and run free. Original paint could have orange peel, runs, etc. Custom/Modified vehicles should have flat panels, even seams and perfectly matched panels. Original body may have had some waves and uneven seams. Custom/Modified chrome should be Show chrome, where Original/Restored chrome does not have to be as brilliantly polished as Show chrome."

Judging Manual

There is this addition to the manual but it doesn't appear to impact the points awarded...

"When judging Divisions 8 & 9 (Custom/Modified), Judges are asked to comment on the Engineering, Innovation, Fit, and Finish of the vehicle. Although no bonus points are awarded, we can acknowledge some of the neat things someone has done to their vehicle."

Remember, in ANY class, you are not judged AGAINST the other cars in your class. You are judged against the JUDGING SHEET. You start with 400 points and you loose points as the judges find flaws.

It is VERY difficult (but not impossible) to win a first place award AND to drive your car regularly...especially in divisions 8 and 9.

Having your car judged is not for everyone. I see more sad and angry people who have their cars judged than happy ones. If you don't enjoy being told what is wrong with your car...don't have it judged.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I apologize for giving outdated information.
                              Apology accepted

I have been to several zone meets, and have found that SDC judging rules are very seldom followed.
                              Good point. My comments in post #14 apply to an SDC International Meet. Zone meets and other local meets are free to judge any way they want...including "picks" like at a GoodGuys show, and peoples choice.

I know of only one person in the entire universe that would know the only answer to that, so don't feel too bad.
                              I won't.
                              Dick Steinkamp
                              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
                              X