Another victom of the PINK wire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another victom of the PINK wire.

I drove my 57 Silver Hawk home from the shop yesterday. Decided I would take it to church today. It's been awhile since it's attended church and has been acting up a little, so I thought a little dose of religion might help it.

This morning I looked at the car and realized it needed a bath before church. So what if it's 30o outside ! my baby needed washing. So I got out the Mcguiers Gold Class bottle, found a bucket, and proceded to move the car to a sunny spot where the hose would reach.
    The old "Shadow" fired right up like always then died when I released the key. "It's jus cold" Said me to myself,so I tried it again. Same Thing, Do it again, and Again, and AGAIN!

It ran fine on the way home. What's the deal now? Thinking It had a resistor and maybe the wire had came unplugged, I raised the hood. No resistor. That must be on the other car. Being color blind is a handicap when doing any type of wiring, but I see 3 wires on the + side of the coil. 1 to the Sol. 1 to the Tach. and the other looks like it might be pink.

I ran a temp wire from an ign activated terminal on the OD kick down to the coil. Turned the key and it fired up just like it was supposed too. So we are going to church after all.
    Neil Thornton

Good temporary fix, but don't drive it too much without a coil resistor, you'll burn points (if you still have them) and coils eventually.

Comment

Must have points if he's still running through the pink wire. I'd like to know if you find a break in the wire,or if it just gets internally corroded or something so that it just won't carry power any more? Let us know! This is one more little detail I have to 'fix' on my '61 when I bring it out of storage next spring...
      As 63 says,get a resistor SOON! I've seen points totally burned up in 15-20 minutes of running with full voltage .
      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

i've toasted a coil in 30 min w/ no resistor....i knew i had wired up a temp solution but little did i know how temp it would be. i keep one of those porcelain ballast resistors around in my parts bins for an emergency now...
        1947 M5 under restoration
        a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

I am assuming since we had a cold snap last night and the car was left outside, the resistor wire must have contracted to the point where it broke. I will cut it loose from both ends, replace it with a regular wire and a resistor. It went to church and back OK. But it's only about 4 miles down country roads each way.
          Neil Thornton

Comment

I prefer a ballast style resistor over a resistor wire myself. Much easier to see a problem and easier to jump it if there is a problem to get it home. Especcially easy to see the problem if you have an old style with the externally visible wound coil wire resistor. They are like a light bulb, you can see when it burns out.

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
              I prefer a ballast style resistor over a resistor wire myself. Much easier to see a problem and easier to jump it if there is a problem to get it home. Especcially easy to see the problem if you have an old style with the externally visible wound coil wire resistor. They are like a light bulb, you can see when it burns out.
              Not always! I remember a few Mopars I had which showed no sign of burned resistors,but that was the problem. I always carried a couple spares in the glove box.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I think it is odd that a '57 would have a Harness with a Pink Resister wire, because they started using them in 1959.

But then again Neil being a "Multiple" Stude. owner, I guess most of us CASOs have been known to swap a few Parts around now and then!
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  I think it is odd that a '57 would have a Harness with a Pink Resister wire, because they started using them in 1959.

But then again Neil being a "Multiple" Stude. owner, I guess most of us CASOs have been known to swap a few Parts around now and then!
                  Rich, that car was put togather from so many parts and pieces that I have lost count over the past 32 years I have owned it. The main body shell and most of the wiring harness are from a 60 Hawk.
                  Neil Thornton

Comment

Working...
                  X