Ray Lowey- The Aviator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Lowey- The Aviator

I am sure it has been posted here before but since I have joined there have been 15-20 new members so I thought I would share.
    I was watching the move The Aviator about Howard Hughes and they had a reference to Ray Lowey being the interior designer of Howards commercial aircraft the "Constellation".

For those who don't know, Ray was the designer of the Starliner {I believe, and others maybe, someone please correct any errors}.

I just thought it was cool, and it made me appreciate the education I have received here, not that I know alot about him yet, but just catching the historical reference in the movie was cool for me.

You should find lots of info here with a Search under the name he always used: Raymond Loewy.

But you should also know that Mr. Loewy owned the Design Co. that Bob Bourke who designed many Studebakers including Your R series Truck and the Starlight/Starliners WORKED for.
    Loewy always got all the credit.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-17-2011, 01:06 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Don't forget the Avanti. Again, he led a team. I don't think any American car has been designed by one person since the 20s.

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Just like real life. CEOs, presidents, generals, bosses good and bad.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
        I was watching the move The Aviator about Howard Hughes and they had a reference to Ray Lowey being the interior designer of Howards commercial aircraft the "Constellation".
        Well, that can't be right- The Connie that I know of was a Lockheed product.
        I doubt HH would have worked for 'the competition' but I could be wrong...
        StudeDave '57
        US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
        SDC Member since 1985

past President
        Whatcom County Chapter SDC
        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
        San Diego Chapter SDC
        North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, Juan Tripp owned Pan American, a fierce competitor of Hughes, and Loewy designed the Connie interior for Juan. stupak

Comment

Hughes Aircraft didn't build the Constellation, Lockheed did - but HH had strong influence on many aspects of it's design since TWA (owned by Hughes) was the launch customer. Loewy did design the Constellation interiors for both Pan Am and TWA.

Raymond Loewy and Associates created many aviation designs and logos. The early Connie interiors, the red, white and blue color scheme of United Airlines, the TWA globe logo, and the paint scheme on Air Force One - from the JFK era and still used today.

I think "The Aviator" is a very good movie and Leonardo DeCaprio is a great actor. He plays J. Edgar Hoover in a current Clint Eastwood release I plan on seeing soon.

Russ Farris
            1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
            1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              You should find lots of info here with a Search under the name he always used: Raymond Loewy.

But you should also know that Mr. Loewy owned the Design Co. that Bob Bourke who designed many Studebakers including Your R series Truck and the Starlight/Starliners WORKED for.
              I have always been under the same assumption as Rich.
              Bob Bourke was the man that really designed the C/K's as a member of Loewy's design company.
              Good Roads
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                I have always been under the same assumption as Rich.
                Bob Bourke was the man that really designed the C/K's as a member of Loewy's design company.
                Good Roads
                Brian
                You can always tell a SDC member...they usually cakll it the "Bourke Coupe" whereas other folks call it the Loewy Coupe.

BTW: How do you prononce Bourke? Burke with a silent "u"?
                63 Avanti R1 2788
                1914 Stutz Bearcat
                (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Yes, during the dinner scene you refer to , HH asks Juan, zippers or buttons. He catches Juan red handed and asserts that Juan had a spy looking into HH interior design, and had Lowey copy that detail for Pan Am's interiors...........Lowey thus....not working for HH. (way I remember it)
                  61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

As a design firm, of course Loewy would have final say of what ever came from his firm. And, without his marketing genius, many designs would not even have been considered.
                    As we all know, marketing is everything.....look what the competition sold with big marketing!
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by 4961Studebaker View Post
                      Yes, during the dinner scene you refer to , HH asks Juan, zippers or buttons. He catches Juan red handed and asserts that Juan had a spy looking into HH interior design, and had Lowey copy that detail for Pan Am's interiors...........Lowey thus....not working for HH. (way I remember it)
                      That's the way Hollywood shows it, true. The reality was Loewy worked for Trippe and Hughes at the same time, and they both knew it. The button or zipper scene was written for the film.

Russ Farris
                      1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                      1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
                      X