PDA

View Full Version : Selling Photos of Club Members Cars on Ebay

t1003nl
12-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Maybe I'm being a bit touchy tonight but I was just surfing Ebay and I was surprised to see someone selling a photo of the engine compartment of my '64 Daytona convertible. I guess this rubs me the wrong way because I spent a lot of time, effort and money restoring that engine compartment and to see someone charge for photos of it bothers me.

If anyone really needs a photo like this I'm sure there must be dozens of people on this forum who would post/email a picture FOR FREE. If anyone wants a photo of my engine compartment just let me know and I'll send you whatever you need - free. I'll even throw in a "before" shot - again for free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-STUDEBAKER-LARK-259-289-DETAILED-ENGINE-PHOTO-4X6-/160577499324?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25632a30bc

Bob Andrews
12-16-2011, 10:48 PM
That one sells tons of 4x6 pictures on eBay. Or should I say, lists them, anyway. Don't know how many he actually sells. I recognize a lot of them.

Of course, once a picture hits the 'net it's fair game to anyone, forever. I would never have taken the time to reproduce them and try to sell them. I wonder how many he actually sells?

avantilover
12-16-2011, 11:06 PM
Why not contact him and ask for it to be removed? I've bought stuff from him and he's pleasant to deal with.

Milaca
12-16-2011, 11:39 PM
Neil, is it possible that it's a factory photo and only looks identical to your car?

Dick Steinkamp
12-16-2011, 11:42 PM
It's happened to me.

I was flattered.

Guido
12-17-2011, 06:19 AM
The only way to guarantee that no one takes a picture of your car in public is to never allow it to leave to confines of your garage.

t1003nl
12-17-2011, 08:03 AM
Neil, is it possible that it's a factory photo and only looks identical to your car?

Here's what gives this away for me. See the fuel line? I did a sloppy job with the bends on both sides of the fuel filter. The bend on one side is too sharp and is almost kinked (I really need to fix this!). The other side is almost one big radius. I've been meaning to redo these but have been working on other things. Also, the master cylinder is a reproduction and I had to use adapters to attach the brake line at the bottom and the pressure switch at the front. I guess owners are usually the most critical of their own cars. Here are a couple pictures I took this morning. I've nicely asked the guy to pull this ad. I should feel flattered. I just don't like to have people pay for something they could get for free.

JRoberts
12-17-2011, 08:45 AM
Of course, once a picture hits the 'net it's fair game to anyone, forever. I would never have taken the time to reproduce them and try to sell them. I wonder how many he actually sells?

This is true for the most part, but there have been pictures put on the net, to include ebay, that other folks have the rights to. Those are out of bounds. I love Google Images, but there are things on there that you must be careful of using, because they are not public domain.

DEEPNHOCK
12-17-2011, 08:48 AM
If you hire a photographer, the pictures belong to you.
If a photographer wants to photograph your vehicle for a project, that's a different story.
Most 'Professional' photographers will have you sign a release allowing them to use your picture.
Whether it is an Ebay ad, or a calendar, they should at least ask when the picture is being sold, or used in a profit making concern..
The Internet has blurred the rules, even if they are just formalities.
But, if you display your vehicle at a public venue, then the pictures people take are in the public domain.
I had this explained to me by a professional photgrapher...at a car show (SDC regional meet)...because I asked out of curiosity.
I am not a copyright lawyer, nor do I play one on TV... Just a swag comment..
HTIH
Jeff:cool:

Bill Pressler
12-17-2011, 11:00 AM
I was surprised, albeit pleasantly, to see Tom K., at Reedsville, selling two different 8 1/2 by 11 photos of the Carl E. Filer dealership in my hometown, that were both Turning Wheels' inside covers...one a B&W from '47 and one a color from '58. I had submitted small-size photos of them to TW. I bought one of each from Tom(LOL)!

irish
12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
You can always put your name or some identifier on your pics before you post them online (photoshop works nicely for this). This usually stops people from using, or at least selling your pics.

Joe

woodysrods
12-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I can feel for your original reaction.
I "Had" a friend who I helped with the original design of his car (created the concept) and helped along the way with the actual build.
Never did get as much as a "Thank You" or any slim part of the recognition for any of my imput and work.
I too took pictures as we worked out in the shop and e-mailed them back to my friend when I returned each night from the 150 mile round trip to help him out.
When the car became famous and he took all the credit, that was a bit of a blow. But when the pictures I had taken started to appear in magazines, again without my permission or a small credit, that is when I started getting the same gut feeling you are having.
Pissed me off!
But what can you do?
I just decided to be the bigger "Man"
Now the "Boy" is struggling because he has lost his wife and all of his other "Old Friends" do to his big head.
Only the groupies left!
And I can only feel "What goes around, comes around"
Sorry for the rant, but now I feel so much better.
I have been holding that one in for a long long time.
Good Roads
Brian

Guido
12-17-2011, 01:10 PM
You can always put your name or some identifier on your pics before you post them online (photoshop works nicely for this). This usually stops people from using, or at least selling your pics.

As I understand the situation the picture was taken by a third party of the OP's car. I do not see any reference to the pictures being his, rather he is upset that it is his car that is appearing in the images. Not sure why that would be an issue, but apparently it is of concern for him.

irish
12-17-2011, 01:31 PM
I guess I missed that part. If the pics were taken by a third party (such as the person selling the pics) I don't think you can do anything about that. I would be flattered if I was in that situation, but everybody is entitled to their own feelings/opinions on the subject.

Joe

stall
12-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Thats right, I was searching for Speedster stuff one day and found a site selling my car. It was all in arabic but it was my car. The picture was taken at the Syracuse Nationals has i Could see my buddies 55 Buick next to it. The picture clearly showed my "I LIKE IKE" front license plate. Has Guido stated; once in the public you have no control.

murray

The only way to guarantee that no one takes a picture of your car in public is to never allow it to leave to confines of your garage.

blue55
12-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Thats right, I was searching for Speedster stuff one day and found a site selling my car. It was all in arabic but it was my car. The picture was taken at the Syracuse Nationals has i Could see my buddies 55 Buick next to it. The picture clearly showed my "I LIKE IKE" front license plate. Has Guido stated; once in the public you have no control.

murray

better to have a picture of your car for sale online, than to find out someone is actually physically selling your car. I had my Henry J sold twice, once by a shop that hadn't even begun work, and once by some tweakers, along with my 55 champion. I took both cars back into my possesion immediately once i heard they were being sold. A guy actually took money on my 59 ElCamino, and his buyer and i had it out when he came for it. He did not get it.

stude1964
12-18-2011, 09:59 PM
I was looking at ebay for some taillights for my '64 wagon. I saw a guy from MN. advertising some. The pic he used was taken of my car here at a show back East!Go figure. I know that it was my car also due to surrounding vehicles but the clincher was the pic was taken w/the tailgate down showing my custom made carpet for the taigate by Rene Harger. Yes it can be flattering but hey give the owner some credit!

woodysrods
12-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I guess this is becoming a common thing with soooo many scammers out there??
Good Roads
Brian

JBOYLE
12-18-2011, 11:40 PM
I see photos of my Bearcat...that I took and supplied to authors and websites...all over the web.
No one seems too concerned about copyright or attribution in the virtual world.
When our cars are at shows, people take photos..and if you're flattered that someone likes your work or car, then I guess you have to put up with photos being out there.

bob40
12-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Guess there will be new signs at car shows in 2012.
"No pictures may be taken without permission of owner"

t1003nl
12-19-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't have an issue with anyone taking a picture of my car. It just bothered me that they are selling them. Just my opinion. Nothing more.

klifton1
12-19-2011, 10:15 AM
I never thought much about the photos being sold, but car shows. I spent the money to build the car, pay to put the car in a show, and the he promoter charges people to look at it. That dosn't make sense to me. I seldom show my cars.
Klif