Matching numbers? For a few $$$ more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matching numbers? For a few $$$ more

I was wondering what yall thought about matching numbers. Correct paint color, and on and on. I paid a lot of money extrra for my car, cause I wanted a matching numbers car. I wanted a certain color. A certain interior, etc.
    My Numbers match and my paint code is correct, for my build sheet. Can you only imagine how happy I was when I found the original "record and destroy" tag from the keys, under a scrap of carpet. Now, I know this goes along with the purist vs modified thing. But mine is modified, for now. However, this is what makes ME happy. Yall share your thoughts on this.

I think matching numbers having a lot of value only applies if the car is kept completely original. Purists looking for an original car do want matching numbers if they are putting out big bucks.

Comment

And I'm really not sure matching numbers are that critical for an average-type car.
      Nice to have, sure...but having the original engine in a six cylinder Lark 4-door is not quite the same as having numbers matching in a rarer performamce car.

The value of most cars..say a Lark sedan, will come from condition.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The Mopar folks are really big on Matching #s The local Drag Racing Hero around here drives a numbers Matching 69 Dodge Dart 340. He has 29 track championships to his credit. The Ford and Chevy people don't seem to care if the #s match or not. It has been said that no one expects an old Ford or Chevy to have the original engine.
        As far as the Studebakers go, The matching #s give it a little extra grace. I have two hawks that I love dearly. One is my wife's 63 GT. Everything mechanically is as it came except the trans. and I have the original waiting to be rebuilt and go back in when the time comes.
        The other is my 57 Silver Hawk. Hardly anything on it matches. The body panels range from 56-62. The engine is a 63. I have owned it for 32years. It is MY CAR ! I love it and don't care what matches or doesn't. It makes me happy, and I am the one who matters.
        Neil Thornton

Comment

Here's another way to look at it:

A Completely Original Looking Studebaker: owners and others care if the Engine Matches.
          The INTERIOR is a very important Item that needs to LOOK original.

A Modified Studebaker: owners and others DO NOT Care what is in or on the Car.

As far as the Alternator, Starter, Carburetor, Transmission, Rear Axle, there are very, very few Studebaker owners that would care if it is the original unit that came with the car from the Factory, mainly because only a real fanatical purist carrying a date decoder and magnifying glass MIGHT be able to tell!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Corvette people are really anal about matching numbers. I don't think anyone matches their stupidity about numbers.

Comment

With Studebakers, I think you will find a few folks like yourself where it is important that the car's engine, equipment, and paint matches the build sheet, but it is my guess that they are few and far between. I think when stock collector cars start selling for $50k and up, it becomes important to far more people...and I think there might be 10 Studes in that category.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have two Starlight Coupes and two matching engines. The '53 engine is now in the '51 and the '51 engine is sitting on a stand in the garage. A '63 289 is installed in the '53. It's just genetics; not critical.
                Brad Johnson,
                SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

It appears that it is important to those that have one, and, not important to those that don't. I happen to have one of the '10' that matches the build sheet completely. I have NO problem with an owner modifing his/her car to their liking. It is, after all, their car and I like to look at them. But, I agree with the AACA. Cars should be 'displayed/preserved' exactly as they were built (except for the way to many over restored cars out there). Can you imagine a Mathew B. 30 years from now saying, "Wow, I didn't realize that Studebaker put Jaguar rear ends in their cars". I suspect that, down the road, matching numbers cars will command far higher interest and prices than the same modified example. That is, if you are concerned with your investment. stupak

Comment

agree that on certified "original survivor" cars, matching numbers is a must!

and "amen" on the corvette comment. when i had my '80 C3 corvette, folks would "ooh and ahh" over it. most (not all) corvette owners would growl: "do the numbers match?" i'd say "yes". they would nod and keep walking...
                    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
                      The Corvette people are really anal about matching numbers. I don't think anyone matches their stupidity about numbers.
                      I have a '69 Corvette and used to have a '67 Dodge Charger. While the Vette guys may be nuts about matching numbers...the Mopar people are true lunatics over it. To them Mopar is a religion...they don't refer to "Mother Mopar" for no reason. They're off the charts crazy...Corvette people are minor league in comparison.
                      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

IMHO, for Studebakers, matching numbers should only be an issue if the car is equipped with an engine non-typical for the model. Say one of the six-cylinder export Hawks. Or an Avanti-powered Hawk, Lark, or Champ. Or R3 and R4 powered anything.
                        Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by whacker View Post
                          Never trust car guys who purposely overspray their valve covers during a restoration
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I sell a lot of Mopar parts and know enough that I better have the part number and build date including which shift on things like alternators.
                            Had perfect wing windows that guys wouldnt buy as the date code was a week off from rest of the windows in their cars.A hose routing bracket from a early production run cant be used in a car after a certain day(not week) if their is documentation of a production change.
                            Studebaker folks just ask if a part will work on their car.
                            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                              Never trust car guys who purposely overspray their valve covers during a restoration
                              Gotta agree with you on that, Bob! I can't see paying big bucks for a paint job and ASKING for overspray! You pay that kind of money and you want to see perfect. Just because the factory routinely did half-a$$ paint jobs doesn't mean you have replace it with one.
                              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Working...
                              X