PDA

View Full Version : Ignition switch and keys?

kmac530
12-16-2011, 12:30 PM
'49 2R10, how do I ID my ignition switch.
I always thought it was a Hurd, but according to my parts book it could be a Yale, Towne, Hurd or some other un named brand.

How do I ID it? It has no name on the switch. On the balck end it says USC then under that it has a Patent #
Then on the metal body it says H6175 then under that it has some kind of mark that looks like a PC overlapped and then a 2.

Whatever switch it is would it be keyed the same as the door?

I do not have the keys and am wanting to know if it would be worth have a locksmith make keys or just buy a new set...yikes. I dont want to make him key two separte keys if they are different.

Thank again folks

Kelly

showbizkid
12-16-2011, 12:36 PM
I believe the "H" prefix on the stamped number identifies it as a Hurd, but I could be wrong :)

9echo
12-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Your best bet is to remove the switch and take it to a lock smith. Have him pick the lock to get it apart. If the switch is the original this key should be the same as the door lock.
I replace the switch in my 48 Starlight Coupe, took the door lock and replacement switch to the lock smith and requested that he make the switch key to match the door lock. I had the key for the door lock. It only cost $23 and that included 3 sets of keys.

Anne F. Goodman
12-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Usually the door and the ignition are the same the glove box is usually different. Have you looked under the seats and all over under the body for a hide a key.
I have found keys in the weirdest places. Also the Hurd key is small where as the larger longer key is a yale.

2R5
12-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Anne , this is a truck .....no glove box lock and only a passenger side door lock, which is different.

StudeRich
12-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Anne , this is a truck .....no glove box lock and only a passenger side door lock, which is different.

Not sure I understand you correctly, but if you are saying that the Factory Door Lock did not match the Ignition Lock, that is not correct, the ORIGINALS do match.

kmac530
12-16-2011, 06:57 PM
2R5 is correct on the point of NO glove box lock, and only a Paasenger side door lock.

Anne, I have the truck stripped down to the frame and cab, there is no hide-a-key.

Rich, even if I have a Hurd key ignition it matches the door key? Obviously as long as one or the other has not been changed.

Not that I doubt SBK, but can anyone else confirm if the H-prefix on my ignition switch does indeed mean it is a Hurd cylinder? That info may help with my locksmith.

So side question here, I can do that right with it being my thread?....How does that work only having a passenger side exterior lock? If I want to lock my truck I have to push my lever forward then shut the door, but to get back in I have to slide in the Passenger side? That kinda stinks. Or am I missing something?

2moredoors
12-16-2011, 07:26 PM
quote" "If I want to lock my truck I have to push my lever forward then shut the door, but to get back in I have to slide in the Passenger side? That kinda stinks. Or am I missing something?"

Some auto manufacturers in the 1930-1940's only had door locks on the passenger side as a safety feature. That way you were not standing in the road trying to unlock your vehicle.

2R5
12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Kmac , to lock your doors you'd need to push your drivers side handle forward than slide across the seat and get out of the passengerside and lock that door....opposite when getting in. You also could get another lock and mark and drill to install one on the drivers side.

kmac530
12-16-2011, 08:05 PM
So wierd the way they were thinking back then. Now you can not "slide accross" any car I know of...maybe some trucks, but not even most of those.

Is it that simple to just drill a hole and install another lock into the Driver door?

StudeRich
12-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Well all is not lost on the no left side locks thing!
It WAS an option, and many Trucks '49 to '64 do have a left Lock, it was SUPPOSED to be included in the Deluxe Cab option on many years, but I own a Original '60 Champ that would prove that it did not always happen!

To add the left lock, you do need to order a New (NOS) Left Door Latch, because only those have the provision for the Lock Cylinder to lock it.

Remember that the Lock Cylinder does come out (only with the Key of course), but that means that the Lock was either Hurd or Yale, BUT the Switch was NEITHER, they were made by a few Electrical Parts Suppliers, so although they could differ, they can NOT be used to I.D. the Lock Cyl. until you remove the Cyl.

kmac530
12-17-2011, 12:53 AM
Good to know Rich, thanks.
Sooooo, how much is a NOS left door latch?
Got one on the shelf there Rich?