Muffler Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler Suggestions?

UPS dropped this off today. I'm just a sucker for stainless.

Now, I'd like some muffler suggestions. It's a bone stock '57 289. I want a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud. Requirements are 27-28 inches long, with a 2" ID at both ends, and a 2" offset front to rear.

Most likely I'll just end up with some glasspacks. But I want to hear about what others have used.

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
    UPS dropped this off today. I'm just a sucker for stainless.

Now, I'd like some muffler suggestions. It's a bone stock '57 289. I want a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud. Requirements are 27-28 inches long, with a 2" ID at both ends, and a 2" offset front to rear.

Most likely I'll just end up with some glasspacks. But I want to hear about what others have used.
    Matt

The nice thing about Don's systems are that they are so heavy walled, even UPS can't dent or bend 'em.

As far as mufflers, any glass pack over 19" is to quiet.

I've got a pair of Magnaflow oval stainless glasspack mufflers on the 83 Avanti.

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 12-16-2011, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Smithy's Of course from Southern hot rods.

Last edited by Flashback; 12-15-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I ordered a set of Don's "quiet" mufflers with the duals he made for my '53. If that's what is called quiet I'm overjoyed I didn't order medium. Really do like the sound.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

flowmaster 40s, are a bit loud, but sound nice, and they come in stainless too.

Comment

I have Magnaflows on both Avantis...nice mellow tone that opens up at speed but not objectionable. I once had a car with Flowmasters...they were very loud and raspy sounding. I'm not 25 anymore...I appreciate the low burble of the Magnaflows better.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Flowmaster mufflers are available in several different series 40,44,50 etc. They all have the same basic sound some are louder,series 40, some are much more mellow, series 50.

IF you LIKE the flowmaster sound it does not have to be loud.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Not sure how your tail pipes come out, my Conestoga is to the side. With the back window open you can hear the exhaust very well. Glass packs are nice for a while but are kinda annoying on long trips, especially after the glass burns out. I'd buy a very quiet muffler,no tickets for racking them off, and a very quiet ride.
                Trust me on the road you'll be very glad they are quiet. I have a quiet muffler on my Conestoga, but i have a larger than normal tail pipe and i can hear that quite well. My 64 has glass packs and a 3:54 rear end ratio, on trips they get very annoying with the constant roar. And i don't have a radio to turn up louder. But your car your decision.
                101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Hooker AeroChambers. Quiet at cruise or idle, throaty when you want some.
                  sigpic
                  JohnP, driving & reviving
                  60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

I am going to Porter Mufflers on my Cruiser. Mellow is the word I think of. Go to their website and they have samples of the sound, no Studebakers however. H.A.M.B. Alliance members get a discount. http://www.portermufflers.com/
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by johnod View Post
                      flowmaster 40s, are a bit loud, but sound nice, and they come in stainless too.
                      I agree with this suggestion.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Magnaflow SS on my R1 Lark.
                        Richard
                        Attached Files
                        The annual all Studebaker Nationals and Orphan Car Drag Race is Saturday May 27th 2017 9:00 am at Brown County Dragway in Bean Blossom, Indiana. "Studebaker Drag Racing you can't beat it" For more information contact Richard Poe

Comment

I plan to get 40's at some point in time on my project.

For the time being, I'm going with a Cherry Bomb!
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I used Edelbrock mufflers on my 60. Nice sound but very mellow at speed, low back pressure too so perhaps a slight bit of power.
                            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                            64 Zip Van
                            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Listen to a Borla.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X