PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Suggestions?

mbstude
12-15-2011, 08:35 PM
UPS dropped this off today. I'm just a sucker for stainless.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/1959S2D/2011-12-15_15-36-51_374.jpg

Now, I'd like some muffler suggestions. It's a bone stock '57 289. I want a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud. Requirements are 27-28 inches long, with a 2" ID at both ends, and a 2" offset front to rear.

Most likely I'll just end up with some glasspacks. But I want to hear about what others have used.

sweetolbob
12-15-2011, 09:01 PM
UPS dropped this off today. I'm just a sucker for stainless.

Now, I'd like some muffler suggestions. It's a bone stock '57 289. I want a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud. Requirements are 27-28 inches long, with a 2" ID at both ends, and a 2" offset front to rear.

Most likely I'll just end up with some glasspacks. But I want to hear about what others have used.

Matt

The nice thing about Don's systems are that they are so heavy walled, even UPS can't dent or bend 'em.

As far as mufflers, any glass pack over 19" is to quiet.:):)

I've got a pair of Magnaflow oval stainless glasspack mufflers on the 83 Avanti.

Bob

Flashback
12-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Smithy's Of course from Southern hot rods.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn320/Flashback53/53getsexhaust022.jpg

rockne10
12-15-2011, 09:11 PM
I ordered a set of Don's "quiet" mufflers with the duals he made for my '53. If that's what is called quiet I'm overjoyed I didn't order medium. Really do like the sound.

johnod
12-15-2011, 10:10 PM
flowmaster 40s, are a bit loud, but sound nice, and they come in stainless too.

Gunslinger
12-15-2011, 10:22 PM
I have Magnaflows on both Avantis...nice mellow tone that opens up at speed but not objectionable. I once had a car with Flowmasters...they were very loud and raspy sounding. I'm not 25 anymore...I appreciate the low burble of the Magnaflows better.

Kurt
12-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Flowmaster mufflers are available in several different series 40,44,50 etc. They all have the same basic sound some are louder,series 40, some are much more mellow, series 50.

IF you LIKE the flowmaster sound it does not have to be loud.

clonelark
12-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Not sure how your tail pipes come out, my Conestoga is to the side. With the back window open you can hear the exhaust very well. Glass packs are nice for a while but are kinda annoying on long trips, especially after the glass burns out. I'd buy a very quiet muffler,no tickets for racking them off, and a very quiet ride.
Trust me on the road you'll be very glad they are quiet. I have a quiet muffler on my Conestoga, but i have a larger than normal tail pipe and i can hear that quite well. My 64 has glass packs and a 3:54 rear end ratio, on trips they get very annoying with the constant roar. And i don't have a radio to turn up louder. But your car your decision.

allstateguy
12-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Hooker AeroChambers. Quiet at cruise or idle, throaty when you want some.

JRoberts
12-16-2011, 09:36 AM
I am going to Porter Mufflers on my Cruiser. Mellow is the word I think of. Go to their website and they have samples of the sound, no Studebakers however. H.A.M.B. Alliance members get a discount. http://www.portermufflers.com/

woodysrods
12-16-2011, 09:45 AM
flowmaster 40s, are a bit loud, but sound nice, and they come in stainless too.
I agree with this suggestion.
Good Roads
Brian

63larkr1
12-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Magnaflow SS on my R1 Lark.
Richard

cultural infidel
12-16-2011, 10:17 AM
I plan to get 40's at some point in time on my project.

For the time being, I'm going with a Cherry Bomb!

Warren Webb
12-16-2011, 11:48 AM
I used Edelbrock mufflers on my 60. Nice sound but very mellow at speed, low back pressure too so perhaps a slight bit of power.

jeds55
12-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Listen to a Borla.

PackardV8
12-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Now, I'd like some muffler suggestions. It's a bone stock '57 289. I want a deep, mellow tone, but not too loud.Just asking, why look for trouble? Suggest using Don's mufflers also.

Glass packs are nice for a while but are kinda annoying on long trips, especially after the glass burns out. I'd buy a very quiet muffler,The one design feature which cancels out annoying resonance on the highway is an H-pipe or X-pipe crossover between the two front down pipes in front of the mufflers. Use one. You'll be glad you did.

As far as the tone, it's a matter of personal perception. I don't like the modern hollow-sounding Flowmaster-style mufflers on anything older than a recent model Mustang.

no tickets for racking them off, How that law enforcement has changed! When I was a teenager, any loud pipes would instantly get a ticket. Today, every Harley hog herder in the area seems to be cruising with straight pipes, rat rodders are running open headers, ricers are running coffee-can sized exhausts and I've never seen or heard of any of them getting ticketed.
jack vines

E. Davis
12-16-2011, 04:05 PM
AMEN..To Jacks observations. Its the same here. Don't forget to add in the boom boxes that rattle your windows.

rockinhawk
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
Joshua LOVES his new Cherry Bombs ! Disturbing the peace since 1968

Bob Andrews
12-16-2011, 04:21 PM
See, this is the same problem I'm having. I want to go the easy (and trusted) route and buy Don's mufflers too. Problem is, I don't have any way to determine which one I prefer.

Two things I do know: One, individual opinions on tone and acceptable volume vary widely with individuals. Two, the same materials can sound completely different on different brands, different engines, even different bodies and weights. Put that together, and there's no telling what to do... you pays yer money and you takes yer chances, I guess.

I'm trying to increase my odds of getting just what I want the first try. Near as I can guess, my only hope is to hear some in person, and the ultimate would be to get a ride in 'em. It's one of my main objectives for the IM this year:)

To date, the meanest sounding Stude I've ever heard in person is Maxey's R2 Lark with glasspacks. LOVE it. But I want to go with Don's and not have to do it again.

31Streetrod
12-16-2011, 04:30 PM
Hey Bob, sounds like you busted butt to get a Stude drivable. Which one is it that's running and will get the new exhaust? Maybe you can drive it to one of your SDC chapter meetings. BTW, which chapter do you belong to?

Andy R.
12-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Just asking, why look for trouble? Suggest using Don's mufflers also.

The one design feature which cancels out annoying resonance on the highway is an H-pipe or X-pipe crossover between the two front down pipes in front of the mufflers. Use one. You'll be glad you did.

As far as the tone, it's a matter of personal perception. I don't like the modern hollow-sounding Flowmaster-style mufflers on anything older than a recent model Mustang.

How that law enforcement has changed! When I was a teenager, any loud pipes would instantly get a ticket. Today, every Harley hog herder in the area seems to be cruising with straight pipes, rat rodders are running open headers, ricers are running coffee-can sized exhausts and I've never seen or heard of any of them getting ticketed.
jack vines

I agree with Jack's observations.
We plan on installing Don's pipe/ "quiet" muffler combination on the white Hawk.

The Hawk used to run cherry bombs w/o crossover pipe. As a kid eager for any attention that didn't involve blue flashing lights, it was great. A decade later, with the insulation blown out it was louder and seemed pathetic. The only people that approved of the sound were people whose approval I did not care to court.

Flowmasters sound awfully hollow like somebody trying to gargle with too little liquid.

borracho
12-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I'll second the Smithy's suggestion. They have the deep mellow sound you are looking for and not too loud at speed.

kmac530
12-16-2011, 06:40 PM
The mufflers themselver are too subjective too say and too personal a choice as Mr. Andrews stated.

My only question is, are you going to POLISH the exhaust system front to back?

For me on my "era correct" concept on Oscar, it has to be Cherry Bombs. But on your wagon and its intended purpose as a portable SS transporter with a lot of hiway miles intended....I would go more of a Magnaflow....+ they come polished SS.

starliner62
12-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Don't put the little 12 inch glasspacks on yours like I have on my Lark. They are temporary and LOUD.(they do sound good at speeds above 70) I am also going with Porters on both of our Studes. My pipes are 2.25 inches.

PackardV8
12-16-2011, 06:53 PM
it has to be Cherry Bombs. Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but of all the dozens of mufflers I've used over the past fifty years, Cherry Bombs rusted out faster than any other. Today, I wouldn't install them if they came free.

jack vines

rockne10
12-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Trust me on the road you'll be very glad they are quiet.
Hear! Hear!
If the sound is to announce your comings and goings, go loud.
If you plan on traveling in it, and I know you do, you will soon tire of a strong exhaust presence. Been there.

Kurt
12-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Like I said earlier I like Flowmasters. Others have expresessed what they like. Mufflers are very subjective. I have two sets of mufflers in the corner of the shop that I changed out because I did not like them. Listen to different exhaust and decide what you like.

mbstude
12-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions and info. I know that no two cars will sound exactly the same, I just wanted a few brands and variations so I could have some options.

Tex, could you post a video of the exhaust note of your '53?

sweetolbob
12-16-2011, 09:20 PM
Matt

Magnaflow has a large audio file of their mufflers on car. Chose by muffler model # and vehicle type. http://www.magnaflow.com/sound_files.asp No Studes but a great way to hear differences.

I'll bet most other mfg's have a similiar site.

Bob

JoeHall
12-16-2011, 09:24 PM
Hear! Hear!
If the sound is to announce your comings and goings, go loud.
If you plan on traveling in it, and I know you do, you will soon tire of a strong exhaust presence. Been there.

I agree. The roar is great around town, but becomes a droning sound on long drives, and gets old real quick. I buy Don's stainless, then take the car to Payless for installation, and ask for the quietest mufflers they have.

I like my Harley noisy, but the Stude quiet.

Flashback
12-16-2011, 09:25 PM
Matt, I have been planning to make a video, with sound anyway. I will try and get my daughter in law to do this. Meantime if you will just type in "s e zone meet tex grier" there is a video Jeff did and it has some muffler sound. As you can tell I am not very computer savy. LOL

GOOGLE SEARCH ( s.e. zone meet tex grier )

throwdad
12-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Brockman "Mellow Tones", steel packs ,glass packs,pick your length, and inlet/outlet size. 14 gauge

cultural infidel
12-16-2011, 11:35 PM
another one to consider... Purple Hornies. I have heard good things about them in the past. Similar to Cherry Bombs

kmac530
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
Maybe it's just been my bad luck, but of all the dozens of mufflers I've used over the past fifty years, Cherry Bombs rusted out faster than any other. Today, I wouldn't install them if they came free.

jack vines

I would not say that they last forever, or even a long time. I just think for my truck build, the era for Cherry Bombs is right. I have used them on a '53 Chevy low rider and an old ElCo without too much trouble. I prefer their sound on L6 motors than V8s, but my dad ran them when I was a kid on alot of his stuff. Nostalgia is important on my truck. My best buddy owns a muffler shop out here in Elsinore and can get them cheap and swap them out anytime. I totally get why someone would NOT want to run CBs but I want them.

bezhawk
12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Hooker AeroChambers. Quiet at cruise or idle, throaty when you want some.

I whole heartedly agree....also I read a comaparison on flow rates somewhere, and the areo chambers were the best.

StudeDave57
12-17-2011, 11:50 AM
I'd love to add to this, but I didn't 'do' the pipes on Cleo~

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/StudeDave/for%20the%20net/78770025.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/StudeDave/for%20the%20net/78770029.jpg

'cuz if I had- I would've gone with two inch pipes to match the mufflers they used~

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w143/StudeDave/for%20the%20net/78770028.jpg

Dr Dave, the prior owner, told me they are some sort of 'Vette application. ;) :)

Baby has a set of 'Raptors' in her 2" dual system, but they are shorties...
and they sound oh so GOOOOOOOD!!!!

StudeRich
12-17-2011, 03:18 PM
Brockman "Mellow Tones", steel packs ,glass packs,pick your length, and inlet/outlet size. 14 gauge

Yeah that's the one I was going to recommend, I like them a LOT! :cool:
Trouble is when I tried to go to their Website to post the link, it was dead! Maybe they are replacing the Website, re-building it or whatever, but I can't find it. :(

I hope they are OK, I believe it is a Family Business.

http://www.brockmancustomparts.com

okc63avanti
12-17-2011, 04:16 PM
You probably don't want what is on my avanti ... Flowmaster Series 40 2 chamber - they are called aggressive !!!!

Corvanti
12-17-2011, 04:26 PM
hard to tell with mufflers on audio or video with sound on a 'puter. a few years ago i listened to some i was thinking about purchasing on my laptop - the sound was like an early 60's transistor radio - quite "tinny". put the same on my daughter's 'puter with a 200 watt sound system. i thought i was back at the winter-nationals in pomona, ca when i was a mere yout'... :p

maybe if the recording, listened to with a "decent" set of speakers, made inside the car going from zero to 70mph, would help. nothing better than hearing for yourself, inside the vehicle and out.

and Kelly, i would not dispute Mr. Vines' knowledge on cherry bomb rust, (and i'm ass-u-ming he means from the inside out), "but" a few of my friends in the ol' so-cal days had them for their rides, and had no problems. of course we didn't keep our cars very long back then. :)

studebaker-R2-4-me
12-17-2011, 04:31 PM
See, this is the same problem I'm having. I want to go the easy (and trusted) route and buy Don's mufflers too. Problem is, I don't have any way to determine which one I prefer.

Two things I do know: One, individual opinions on tone and acceptable volume vary widely with individuals. Two, the same materials can sound completely different on different brands, different engines, even different bodies and weights. Put that together, and there's no telling what to do... you pays yer money and you takes yer chances, I guess.

I'm trying to increase my odds of getting just what I want the first try. Near as I can guess, my only hope is to hear some in person, and the ultimate would be to get a ride in 'em. It's one of my main objectives for the IM this year:)

Bob, I would well imagine that you will be at the International Meet this year, I will be there with my Hawk which has Don's Medium Tone mufflers on it and I will be happy to take you out in my Hawk. I like them and would not want them any quieter or any louder. Don suggested them when I bought my 2" exhaust system because I am running a R2 Engine. Caroline's Lark Convertible has the quiet tone mufflers with the smaller pipes. Her car is too quiet for my taste but not for her's. I have to say that I love gearing down and running full out under bridges and tunnels, I believe nothing sound nicer than a Studebaker engine with good sounding mufflers.

We will have to team up in South Bend, just leave me a note on my Hawk and let me know where you are running about.

Allen

PackardV8
12-17-2011, 04:59 PM
and Kelly, i would not dispute Mr. Vines' knowledge on cherry bomb rust, (and i'm ass-u-ming he means from the inside out), "but" a few of my friends in the ol' so-cal days had them for their rides, and had no problems. of course we didn't keep our cars very long back then. Compared to the eastern half of the US, nothing rusts in SoCal, whether from the inside-out or outside in. The east coast guys can't believe the older cars still used as drivers in SoCal. East of the Misssissippi, most Studebakers and most '50s-70s cars, such as the '65 Mustangs were rusted through and in the scrap yards in three to five years. Many '60s-'70s cars are still being used as drivers out west. And yes, even mufflers rust from the inside out more quickly in the east.

His car, his money, his decision to go with Cherry Bombs. Those who factor rust into the equation will buy something made of stainless.

jack vines

Corvanti
12-17-2011, 05:25 PM
Those who factor rust into the equation will buy something made of stainless.jack vines

given my location now, i wouldn't buy one that wasn't stainless. :)
the "salt air" of course isn't as bad as "salt roads", but it tore up a pt cruiser i owned when i lived oceanfront for a year. i'm now about 1 mile from the coast, still not good...

but now i have the time to "remedy" most corrosion.

aarrggh
12-18-2011, 09:13 PM
How about skipping the muffler and going with something like this .. But in stainless of course . . . . .

http://i53.tinypic.com/9hooxu.jpg

1962larksedan
12-19-2011, 07:26 AM
Compared to the eastern half of the US, nothing rusts in SoCal, whether from the inside-out or outside in. The east coast guys can't believe the older cars still used as drivers in SoCal. East of the Misssissippi, most Studebakers and most '50s-70s cars, such as the '65 Mustangs were rusted through and in the scrap yards in three to five years. Many '60s-'70s cars are still being used as drivers out west. And yes, even mufflers rust from the inside out more quickly in the east.

His car, his money, his decision to go with Cherry Bombs. Those who factor rust into the equation will buy something made of stainless.

jack vines

Same way here in most of Arizona. A couple of years ago I had a 1964 Ford Falcon with its original muffler.

cultural infidel
12-19-2011, 09:52 AM
How about skipping the muffler and going with something like this .. But in stainless of course . . . . .

http://i53.tinypic.com/9hooxu.jpg

so much going on here. got any more pics?

58PackardWagon
12-19-2011, 11:40 PM
I always go with Midas. They are guaranteed for the life that you own the car. Many of my cars sit. Moisture works from the inside out and sooner or later I get a free muffler.

kmac530
12-20-2011, 11:53 AM
I buy new work trucks and new family cars about every 6 years give or take mileage. We drive alot with commuting to work to LA or OC from the IE. I put about 50k a year on my trucks so after 6 years they are done. My family cars are not far behind with about 40k or so a year. So my trucks get replace at 5-6 years and my family cars 6-7 years. I have NEVER replaced a muffler or any exhaust component other than O2 sensors. Never a muffler, never a tail pipe, Cat, head pipe...nothing.

Inland Cali is pretty dry and good on cars. The coast is not rust free along the beach cities, but once you are 5 miles or so in the salt air is low or gone and we live about 30 miles inland from San Juan Capistrano and over a small mountain range of about 3k feet. We do get about 14-16" of rain every year, but that is spread out from Oct- March and then a bit in June. So it is not loke we are usually ever under water. Although I lived here in the '92-93 winter year. That was the El Nin~o year and we got 32" of rain. We went about 3 weeks where we got over an inch every day for 20+ days in a row. we were definately water logged here. People were water locked around the lake in many places. We had to ford about 2' of water to leave our house in every direction. The lake was up over all of the roads around the lake. They were actually under water. It was wild.

I have not had a problem eating mufflers here in so cal. Then a Cherry bomb is only 30-50 bucks so even if I needed to replace them they are really cheap and I LOVE that raspy, rattly sound that just says 60's. That is why I want them. I am fully aware they are by far NOT the best exhaust system, but sometimes COOL out weighs performance, as long as it is not by alot.

I appreciate Jack and everyones input. I am always fine with you guys expressing your concerns and doubts about my choices, and I have had a few changes of heart based on the input here, so feel free to continue to let me know the cautions of my choices. That is why I am here and read alot on this site.

mbstude
12-21-2011, 10:20 PM
I drove the 15 miles to Summit Racing Equipment over in McDonough tonight. Even if I don't need anything I'm always looking for an excuse to go and look around. Grabbed a catalog at the door and flipped through that, then looked at the shelves of exhaust system parts. After seeing what was available at the size and length I needed, I settled on Thrush glasspacks. $55 bucks for a pair and cheap enough that if they rust out in 10 years, I can replace them without cringing. If I absolutely learn to hate the sound and want a quieter muffler, again, it's not much of a loss. I do have two layers of insulation/sound deadener on the floor of the Wagon so road noise will already be a lot quieter than stock.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. If I hate the glasspacks, it's good to have some other ideas.

Flashback
12-22-2011, 08:03 AM
Now ya talkin'. Made up that mind in a few. When ya gonna getum on ? We gonna both have to plan a little road trip after the first and meet in the middle.

woodysrods
12-22-2011, 10:22 AM
I run "Blanks. glass packs, cherry bombs, or what ever you want to call them on all my cars" Currently buying "Red Hots" at $18.00 each.
Used to get "Blanks" from the local muffler shop at $1.00/inch.
Get 8 to 10 years out of them.
They sound great and don't take much room.
I weld them into my exhaust system.
Good Roads
Brian

riversidevw
12-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Another vote for Don's mufflers. I have the "medium loudness" sets he makes for the Speedster oversized tailpipes on the '56 Golden Hawk as well as the Speedster. Results are actually quite different for the two engines. The '58 President has the oval long case stainless Magnaflows. I like them also, but there is a sort of roar of "white noise" at idle and low speed cruise. Doing it over again, would have gotten Don's again.

This is a really, really subjective thing!

Gil

rockinhawk
12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
I drove the 15 miles to Summit Racing Equipment over in McDonough tonight. Even if I don't need anything I'm always looking for an excuse to go and look around. Grabbed a catalog at the door and flipped through that, then looked at the shelves of exhaust system parts. After seeing what was available at the size and length I needed, I settled on Thrush glasspacks. $55 bucks for a pair and cheap enough that if they rust out in 10 years, I can replace them without cringing. If I absolutely learn to hate the sound and want a quieter muffler, again, it's not much of a loss. I do have two layers of insulation/sound deadener on the floor of the Wagon so road noise will already be a lot quieter than stock.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions. If I hate the glasspacks, it's good to have some other ideas. That's the same system Mitchell put on his Sky Hawk. Remember how it sounded? He said his Thrush's Came from O'Rielly's for around $30.