WHAT DO I DO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT DO I DO

You guys know that I vend. and you guys know I own the infamous HFH.

I am in a very ticklish situation. I walked into one of the other buildings and there was a T-shirt vendor, on his table was the photo that I took of my car, and he had the photo of my car, taken off the inside cover of Turning Wheels on T-shirts.

My question, do I make a stink, and possibly cause a verbal battle, or do I have someone from TW's tell this guy he stole copyrighted material.

I am flattered that he and his wife thought my car good enough for shirts, but, how do I handle this. I have a very bad temper, and can fly off the handle evry fast. I need some guidance.

BG

If he took the photo from TW tell them first. If that does not bring a resolution then you need to speak to the guy in a reasonable manner. Then it becomes a legal issue.

Mike

Comment

If he took the photo from TW tell them first. If that does not bring a resolution then you need to speak to the guy in a reasonable manner. Then it becomes a legal issue.

Mike

Comment

I can see both sides if this question.

Once a friend of mine who has a deaf interpreter business, put a picture from a magazine on t-shirts and was selling them at a deaf conference. The owner of the picture just happened to come to the conference and immediately became incensed at his picture being used without his permission. He told my friend that he would sue unless she immediately removed the shirts. She did, even tho she had invested several thousand dollars.

She eventually just destroyed the shirts because to have attemped to sell them (or even give them away) would have subjected her to legal action if the owner found out.

Life ain't fair, sometimes, but if this other vendor is using YOUR picture without your permission, YOU own it, not them. You can always tell them you want a percentage of the profit from the shirts but frankly, in my opinion (and remember, free advice is usually worth what it costs) the logical thing to do is have someone from the magazine tell them they can't use the picture. That keeps you out of it and even tho the seller may not like it, a copyright is a copyright.

Good luck,

John

Comment

I agree. Have the TW people try to handle it first. If that doesn't work, be civil but let him know it's copywrited. If that don't work, go through the legal system and let the lawyers handle it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
          1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I can see both sides if this question.

Once a friend of mine who has a deaf interpreter business, put a picture from a magazine on t-shirts and was selling them at a deaf conference. The owner of the picture just happened to come to the conference and immediately became incensed at his picture being used without his permission. He told my friend that he would sue unless she immediately removed the shirts. She did, even tho she had invested several thousand dollars.

She eventually just destroyed the shirts because to have attemped to sell them (or even give them away) would have subjected her to legal action if the owner found out.

Life ain't fair, sometimes, but if this other vendor is using YOUR picture without your permission, YOU own it, not them. You can always tell them you want a percentage of the profit from the shirts but frankly, in my opinion (and remember, free advice is usually worth what it costs) the logical thing to do is have someone from the magazine tell them they can't use the picture. That keeps you out of it and even tho the seller may not like it, a copyright is a copyright.

Good luck,

John

Comment

I agree. Have the TW people try to handle it first. If that doesn't work, be civil but let him know it's copywrited. If that don't work, go through the legal system and let the lawyers handle it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
              1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I do own it, it is a photo taken in fornt of my house, it shows my license plate, shows my home, and my trees.

What has me bent is that this is a competitor of mine, and in their infinite stupidity used the photo I provided to TW's. All the shirts on their table are photos taken off the covers of TW's.

What gets me is their stupidity. The car is known, I am known, but as Stretch said....." how dumb do you have to be to show up at a National selling t-shirts of a car owned by by a member. When I said to him......." hey that's my car, and that is the photo I took" he said "it's great looking car, and I thought it would be a nice shirt"

I will speak to Ann in the morning, and see what they can do.

Comment

I do own it, it is a photo taken in fornt of my house, it shows my license plate, shows my home, and my trees.

What has me bent is that this is a competitor of mine, and in their infinite stupidity used the photo I provided to TW's. All the shirts on their table are photos taken off the covers of TW's.

What gets me is their stupidity. The car is known, I am known, but as Stretch said....." how dumb do you have to be to show up at a National selling t-shirts of a car owned by by a member. When I said to him......." hey that's my car, and that is the photo I took" he said "it's great looking car, and I thought it would be a nice shirt"

I will speak to Ann in the morning, and see what they can do.

Comment

Art and Ann are the editors. Larry Swanson is the publisher. I would explain the situation to them and stand your ground. United front.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Art and Ann are the editors. Larry Swanson is the publisher. I would explain the situation to them and stand your ground. United front.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Absolutely....go through TW's 1st, which is the PC way of
                        doing things and if they are not able to get the shirts
                        removed or obtain a suitable solution for you, then send
                        the vendor a "greeting", through the legal system, once
                        the meet is over with!

1964 Daytona
                        glen Brose
                        Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

Absolutely....go through TW's 1st, which is the PC way of
                          doing things and if they are not able to get the shirts
                          removed or obtain a suitable solution for you, then send
                          the vendor a "greeting", through the legal system, once
                          the meet is over with!

1964 Daytona
                          glen Brose
                          Tumbleweed Flats, AZ

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly

Comment

Working...
                              X