Making R2 tach work with Pertronix and MSD ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: Making R2 tach work with Pertronix and MSD ignition

I have a '63 R2 Hawk with Pertronix igniter, MSD ignition and MSD timing computer. The tach has never worked since I've owned the car. I have the MSD 8910 tach adaptor module that I've tried, with no success. I've also tried the tach output on the MSD box, both through the original R2 sender, and directly to the tach. I don't know if the MSD output needs to work with the R2 transmitter, nor do I know if the R2 transmitter is any good. I also have no way of testing the tach, it is the original R2 redline style. Does anybody have a schematic of the transmitter or know a good way to troubleshoot? (I know there is a replacement ckt board available, but don't want to spend the $$ unless I know I need it).

Check Bob Johnstone's Avanti resource pages. This is a great site for many Studebaker questions.

Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 12-14-2011, 09:23 AM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Summit Racing techs solved my tach/electronic ignition problem over the phone. Solution on mine was a simple wiring hookup. They provide his service for free. I think you can go to their toll free number and ask for tech help. 1-800-230-3030. or summitracing.com

Comment

The tach head is a DC voltmeter which can be tested like any other voltmeter. If you apply around 6vdc to the meter, it should read full scale. I would suspect the sending unit has a problem and not the tach head itself as the sender is a high failure part. My Avanti tach will work fine with a Pertronix module and so does the tach in my 62 Hawk. Bud

Comment

Working...
        X